How to Install RST (Rapid Storage Technology)

ctpcbuild

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hello, I have just built a new computer and it was all going well until it came to installing RST (Rapid Storage Technology) for my Samsung SSD 830 128GB . I believe to install RST, I have to preinstall a driver. I have a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Intel Motherboard and Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s for data storage.

I should have read up on how to install the RST before I installed Win7 Home 64 bit on my SDD. Some instructions I have found say install RST after installing the OS, other instructions say install while installing the OS via F6. In a nutshell, I have found it all a bit confusing. I am getting the sense that I will have to reinstall the OS, but am not 100% sure. The driver in questions that I am getting confused with is the “The Intel SATA Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode) Note: Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy” which can be found here if you select Windows 7 64bit OS and scroll down to SATA RAID. I am guessing that once I install the above mentioned driver, I would then install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, also found at the above link under SATA RAID.

Can anyone give me simple instructions from A to Z on how to install RST for my Samsung SSD 830 with a GB-Z77X-UD5H motherboard and Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drive for storage? I do not believe there is an exe file to do the installing and I am not 100% sure what F6 is and how to execute it. I do have a bootable UBS thumbdrive that I used to update the motherboard firmware.

If the best way is to do so reinstall the OS, I don’t mind as the upside will be that this time around my firmware for my motherboard, SDD and HD will have already been updated to the latest version.

Any assistance would be sorely appreciated!!

Solution
Yes, it is confusing.
Section 5.1 are the pre-install instructions. Section 5.2 are the post-install instructions that I previously suggested.

The exact same driver software will install no matter which method you use.

Think of it this way: you are currently trying to install version 11.1.0.1006. When the next version is released by Intel it will also have 2 different files you can download. Are you going do a fresh install of your O/S just to install the latest driver? I hope not. :)

Try the post-install method. When you are finished, reboot your pc and go into Device Manager. Click on Storage Controllers. There should be an item there with AHCI in the title. Right-click on it and select Properties. Click the Driver tab...
You should not use Intel RST.

The purpose of Intel RST is to give a performance boost to a large capacity HDD with an O/S installed on it by using a SSD as a cache drive. The maximum cache that RST can use is 64GB. Intel RST is basically for people who can't afford a large SSD (120GB and up).

You should just install your O/S on your SSD.

ctpcbuild

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am surprised by what you wrote as I have read many post and articles and this is the first I have read that "the maximum cache that RST can use is 64GB. Intel RST is basically for people who can't afford a large SSD (120GB and up)." Even on the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) Product Overview page, specifically the first and last paragraph seems to be saying that there is a benefit to having RST. Would you be able to link me to a site that explains in more detail what you wrote so I can be more informed before making a final decision to use or not use RST?

So, to answer your question correctly this time, installing the RST driver is easy.

When you install Windows you come to a screen where you are presented a list of drives to install Windows on. Sometimes the drive that you want to install Windows on does not appear in the list. When that happens there is a button on the panel to install drivers. After you install the drivers you continue with the installation and most of the time the drive that you want to install Windows on will appear on the list. You then select the drive and Windows continues with the installation process.

So most people only preinstall (F6) drivers when there is a problem; otherwise they just let Windows install its own default drivers and then update to Intel's latest drivers after installation is complete.

So just download the non-F6 driver from Gigabyte's website to your boot drive, and double-click the file, which will install the drivers and replace the default Windows drivers.

ctpcbuild

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Thanks for the info. A follow-up question.

How confident are you about what you wrote? I ask, because in the general Installation Notes (F6Readme.txt) I came across for RST, it says the following.

----------------------------------------------
5.1 General Installation Notes

1. If you are installing the operating system on a system
configured for RAID or AHCI mode, you must pre-install
the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver using the
F6 installation method described in section 5.3.

2. The 'Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility'
must be installed on the system after a supported
Microsoft Windows* operating system has been installed.

3. To install Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology,
double-click on the self-extracting and self-installing
setup file and answer all prompts presented.

4. By default, all installed files (readme.txt, help, etc.)
are copied to the following path:

<bootdrive>\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology

5.2 Windows Automated Installer* Installation from Hard
Drive or CD-ROM

Note: This method is applicable to systems configured for
RAID or AHCI mode.

1. Download the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology setup file
and double-click to self-extract and to begin the setup
process.

------------------------------------------------

How I have interpreted the above, is that the F6 needs to be installed prior to the non-F6 driver your referred to, "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology," or maybe not. I have read the entire F6Readme.txt a few time and I am still confused and not sure I am understanding it correctly. Hence why I am hear looking for instructions in simpler English.

ctpcbuild

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

When I ran the Intel Drivers Update Utilities, it suggested that I download the Intel INF Driver you referenced. I was a little hesitant to do so, so thanks for the confirmation.

Yes, it is confusing.
Section 5.1 are the pre-install instructions. Section 5.2 are the post-install instructions that I previously suggested.

The exact same driver software will install no matter which method you use.

Think of it this way: you are currently trying to install version 11.1.0.1006. When the next version is released by Intel it will also have 2 different files you can download. Are you going do a fresh install of your O/S just to install the latest driver? I hope not. :)

Try the post-install method. When you are finished, reboot your pc and go into Device Manager. Click on Storage Controllers. There should be an item there with AHCI in the title. Right-click on it and select Properties. Click the Driver tab. Next to Driver Version you should see 11.1.0.1006. You can do that now if you wish and see AHCI driver is being used.

If you can't get the driver to install then start over fresh and use the F6 drivers.

Solution

ctpcbuild

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

I did not realize it was one or the other. I thought you had to do an F6 install and then the exe file install. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.

Out of curiosity, when would one want to or need to do an F6 install vs a exe post-install?

If for some reason the drive you want to install Windows to is not presented to you as an option then pre-installing drivers fixes that problem most of the time.

ctpcbuild

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Thanks and take care. Your help was much appreciated.