Which System is better for Gaming?

juicycrapachino

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Which system is better for gaming mainly for Crysis and Flight Simulator X?

1st System:
Processor- I5 750 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard- ASUS Sabertooth 55i p55 mobo
CPU Cooler- Thermaltake Frio Overclocking cooler
RAM- DDR3 1600 ( 2 x 1 GB )
Case- Coolermaster HAF 922 Mid Tower
Video Card- Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Overclocked
PSU- OCZ ModXStream 700w Modular
Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda 500gb HD
Optical Drive- Lite-On 24X DVD/RW+ Drive
OS- Windows 7 64-Bit

Grand Total= $994.01

2nd System:
Processor- AMD Phenom 965 @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard- Gigabyte 890FX UD5 mobo
CPU Cooler- Same cooler as previous
RAM- DDR3 1333 ( 2 x 1 GB )
Case- Same as previous
Video Card- Same as previous
PSU- Same as previous
Hard Drive- Same as previous
Optical Drive- Same as previous
OS- Windows 7 64-Bit

Grand Total= $972.61

Thanks in Advance!
NOTE: I do not mind paying an extra $20 or so if I'm getting a noticeable difference in performance...

Solution
EDIT: ^^ Good points there from willisbj...
And also in general without any changes to the above 2 setups, like el_bastardo74 said, i5 750 would be better...

As for the above setup, and for your resolution, I frankly dont see the need for the 890FX mobo...Get an 890GX mobo and get 4GB of RAM with the money saved...that would be better...the HD 5770 crossfire would work just fine on the 890GX mobos...

So with those changes, the AMD would look a better value...
^ Well 2GB of RAM, HD 5770 with such components dont match good and also for FSX and Crysis...

Maybe this setup -
X4 955 - This can also be overclocked to ~4GHz...
MSI 870A mobo
4GB Corsair
CM 690 II + CM Real Power 600W
Video card - HD 5850/ HD 5870
OS
500GB HDD
DVD
CPU HSF - Maybe the Sunbeam CCTF/ CM Hyper 212+/ Scythe Mugen II/ Xig Dark Knight...

Total ~$1000

juicycrapachino

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
hell no my resolution is only 1440 x 900 i don't need a complete overhaul on my specs. I asked which one was better not another recommendation! Ill upgrade my ram to 4gb once i get some more cash... this setup should work fine...which one is better -.-

willisbj

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
If you are focused primarily on gaming you would be best going for the following:

CPU's

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103843

AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103704

These CPU's are your best bang for your buck, will perform admirably in all situations and when overclocked will allow all but the top multiple GPU setups to stretch their legs. The X3 440 has enjoyed core unlocking success and typically fairly high overclocks too, finding a frequent space on the tomshardware CPU recommendations and low-budget builds. Save a little money on the Mobo where possible but make sure it has at least two PCIe x8 slots for crossfire as an upgrade.

Use the money saved on a better graphics card (ATI 5850 if possible) and hopefully some more RAM (less directly important).

But if you just want a pick between the two options listed, and upgrade the ram and add a second 5770 later, then pick the i5-750, or add a few extra bucks to the AMD build and get either of their hexa-core processors which both overclock like mad and run cool as hell.

Honestly I built an AMD system about 9 months ago on an x3 720 and a single 5770, and I'm very happy with it for the most part, plus I'm poised to drop in another 4gb of ram, a 6 Core black edition and a 2nd 5770 sometime in the next year and ... BOOM! ... awesome PC to last another few years. Still, everyone has different expectations. The answer to your question depends on your future expectations of upgrade paths.

Cheers :)

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
there's not going to be but a minute difference between the 2. the i5-750 did a tiny bit better in benchmarks vs the 965. 1600 is a little better than 1333 on ram.

i say the first one. but, like i said, the difference is so minute you probably won't notice it

EDIT: ^^ Good points there from willisbj...
And also in general without any changes to the above 2 setups, like el_bastardo74 said, i5 750 would be better...

As for the above setup, and for your resolution, I frankly dont see the need for the 890FX mobo...Get an 890GX mobo and get 4GB of RAM with the money saved...that would be better...the HD 5770 crossfire would work just fine on the 890GX mobos...

So with those changes, the AMD would look a better value...

Solution

juicycrapachino

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Yeah, your right but I'll stick with the 890FX motherboard but I'll work on getting 4gb of ram before i order :\ gonna be a close one. BTW: stop trying to persuade me out of my parts! Leave them be! I never said "here's my list of specs recommend whatever you think is better..." NO! stop it please I'd rather learn it the hard way since this is my first rig...I'll adjust better with the added 2gb of ram...Is the RAM the only problem with my setup so far?

^ Lolz its your money so your decision...
And Yes, RAM is the only thing lacking and get a single 2 GB stick rather than 2 sticks because when you populate all 4 RAM slots, it would be difficult to overclock the RAM...

And you might want to check out other CPU coolers too as for that price range, you can get a Noctua with 2 high quality fans, that would better help in overclocking and keeping the temps down...

juicycrapachino

Distinguished
May 8, 2010

Actually, looking at the benchmarks from multiple sites the Thermaltake Frio out does all other coolers on the market. Both idle and on load. So if you wish to look into that then that would be great!

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
if you are capable enough to do the research on the components that you are making a decision on, why are you asking others to help you make an informed decision? all you've done is flame the people who are trying to give you advice