BIOS update Compaq Presario

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
October 26, 2004 3:33:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,de.comp.sys.notebooks (More info?)

Dear experts,
I'm having Compaq Presario B1015 laptop. Intel P4 3.03 GHz / Win XP Pro +
SP2

Compaq has recently listed a recommended BIOS update for this model.
It says this BIOS version enhances "Pentium 4's speed step technology" to
offer better battery life.
Compaq asks to follow on screen instructions for BIOS update. But, did not
offer any prior knowledge on BIOS update process, such as precautions,
likely problems and trouble shooting etc.

The general expert saying regarding BIOS is "don't fix it unless something
is broken". So I'm little scary to touch the BIOS.

Experts,
- First of all should I go for this update ?
- Has any one done this already (not necessarily be of Compaq) ?
- What precautions to take or any other advise.
- Any website that offers handy help for BIOS update and trouble shooting

Any pointer is most welcome.

Regards
Kumaran
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 26, 2004 3:33:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,de.comp.sys.notebooks (More info?)

> - First of all should I go for this update ?

If you want enhanced battery life, or you feel you are affected by any
other feature described in the update notes, yes.

> - Has any one done this already (not necessarily be of Compaq) ?

Many, many times. IBM, Toshiba, Compaq, Samsung, other laptop and
desktop brands...

> - What precautions to take or any other advise.

The two principal dangers are:

1. Power failure during the update, or

2. Software conflict causing the updater to crash partway through
(rare).

Oftentimes, there are several methods available to install the BIOS
update. The safest method to follow, if possible, is to put the update
on a bootable floppy disk, boot off that disk, and run the update on a
"bare" machine running no other software. Furthermore, it is advisable
to have the battery installed and fully charged before attempting the
upgrade. (Some ThinkPad upgraders enforce this as a requirement).
These two precautions narrow the problem window down to an
infinitesimal chance of encountering difficulties.
October 26, 2004 6:15:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,de.comp.sys.notebooks (More info?)

> Experts,
> - First of all should I go for this update ?

No, because it changes the cpu frequency to 1.6 GHZ (in both ac and dc
mode).
My advise: Call HP for the latest bios, there is already a newer one out
then the one you can download, released in July.
Don´t know why they don´t put it on their website but they will certainly
advise you on the phone how to upgrade the bios.

Alternatively you can go to
http://www.laptop-board.de/modules.php?name=Downloads&d...

and download "Compaq-BiosBootCD-v2.iso.zip"

This is an ISO file which contains all the yet released bios files for the
b101x series from compaq. You can create a bootable cd from the iso file.
The latest bios is the "dp75_10o"

> - Has any one done this already (not necessarily be of Compaq) ?

Yes, the dp75_10o works great in my b1011 with winxp prof and installed
Speedswitch XP

> - What precautions to take or any other advise.
> - Any website that offers handy help for BIOS update and trouble shooting

Call HP if you don´t know what to do in order to keep your warranty if the
update fails.

alex
Related resources
October 26, 2004 6:47:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,de.comp.sys.notebooks (More info?)

Alex,
Thank you for suggesting me.

The CPU freq is supposed to be reduced only for battery mode not for AC
socket mode.
Is is not. If it is reduced uniformly for both the modes...then what is the
advantage offered by
"speed step technology".

>Yes, the dp75_10o works great in my b1011 with winxp prof and installed
> Speedswitch XP

What is this speedswitch with XP. What it does. (though the name itself
gives a hint).
How to enable this.

Regards
Kumaran

"Alex" <idontlikespam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Experts,
> > - First of all should I go for this update ?
>
> No, because it changes the cpu frequency to 1.6 GHZ (in both ac and dc
> mode).
> My advise: Call HP for the latest bios, there is already a newer one out
> then the one you can download, released in July.
> Don´t know why they don´t put it on their website but they will certainly
> advise you on the phone how to upgrade the bios.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 26, 2004 6:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,de.comp.sys.notebooks (More info?)

"Kumaran" <subbarayan.elangkumaran@de.bosch.com> haute in die Tasten:

> What is this speedswitch with XP. What it does. (though the name itself
> gives a hint).
> How to enable this.

Speedswitch usually enables the CPU to run at different speeds according to the type of
power source. If the notebook runs on battery, the CPU speed is reduced in order to
reduce battery consumption and enhance operation time. As soon as the computer detects
an AC power source, it switches back to full CPU speed in order to provide full
computer performance. Many notebooks also change the brightness of the LCD screen in
order to save energy while running on battery.

The original Intel SpeedStep technology is controlled via BIOS, you can choose between
"Computer always fast", "Computer always slow" or "Speedstep". Besides this there is a
program called speedswitch, which enhances the energy control panel in the system
control of Windows. It adds a "Speedswitch" energy profile to the energy profiles
already provided by Windows. This profile will enable the notebook to detect the amount
of CPU performance requred by the current tasks on your computer. As soon as you start
an application which demands high performance (for example: encoding an Audio CD to
MP3, encoding a DVD to DivX), Speedswitch sets the CPU to full speed, while the CPU is
slowed down to low frequency as soon as the computer is in idle or working at less
demanding tasks like word processing or playing solitaire.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
October 26, 2004 7:50:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,de.comp.sys.notebooks (More info?)

> The CPU freq is supposed to be reduced only for battery mode not for AC
> socket mode.
> Is is not. If it is reduced uniformly for both the modes...then what is
the
> advantage offered by
> "speed step technology".

HP did a bad job with this bios as the multiplicator was set to 12x through
the bios and it could not be changed to the necessary 21x
in order to reach the highest possible cpu freq.

> >Yes, the dp75_10o works great in my b1011 with winxp prof and installed
> > Speedswitch XP
>
> What is this speedswitch with XP. What it does. (though the name itself
> gives a hint).
> How to enable this.

Speedswitch XP is a cpu freq control program for mobile cpus on win xp. It
is similar to Intels Speedstep applet for Win 2000 but
more powerful.

Download and read all about it (in english):

http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html

alex
October 26, 2004 9:16:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,de.comp.sys.notebooks (More info?)

Dear experts,
I have learned useful things about BIOS update and Speedswitch XP.
I thank you all for your valuable ideas and the time that you have spent for
me.

Regards
Kumaran

"Kumaran" <subbarayan.elangkumaran@de.bosch.com> wrote in message
> Dear experts,
> I'm having Compaq Presario B1015 laptop. Intel P4 3.03 GHz / Win XP Pro +
> SP2
>
> Compaq has recently listed a recommended BIOS update for this model.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 29, 2004 2:06:55 PM

A UPS or baterry backup is also advisable. ANY interruption of power
during the upgrade will make your lappy inop. (Unless you want to tear
down and change the BIOS chip)..
!