Sign in with
Your question

AM3+ !!!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
March 20, 2011 12:35:51 PM

well i hav this motherboard MSI 890GXM-G65 http://www.msi.com/product/mb/890GXM-G65.html#/?div=Ove...

and i am using amd phenom ii x6 1055t processor and its working fine
all i want to knw is there a chance that my mobo with BIOS update in future can support AM3+ CPU series called bulldozers??

for example this gigabyte board is AM3 socket and will support AM3+ aswell so i guess there isnt any h/w difference :) 

http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3786...

More about : am3

a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 1:14:25 PM

Bulldozer won't work on an AM3 motherboard, but an AM3 CPU will work on a Bulldozer board.
Related resources
March 20, 2011 1:58:59 PM

ok so is there any chance it will work on my mobo with BIOS update?? i think we will hav to wait and see...
I just hope there is a slim chance that it will work
March 20, 2011 2:47:47 PM

Interesting find, I was under the impression that the new AMD processors would require a new chipset, I guess not according to ASUS's press release. Looks like good news for owners of those boards currently.
March 20, 2011 3:24:04 PM

GBPackerNut said:
Interesting find, I was under the impression that the new AMD processors would require a new chipset, I guess not according to ASUS's press release. Looks like good news for owners of those boards currently.

Yes it is a good news a friend of mine(Gamekiller) told me abt this and i was happy atleast i can use the same AM3 socket CPU cooler even if i hav to buy a new mobo.
anyway i just hope my mobo can support bulldozers with a BIOS upgrade.I will ask this question to MSI aswell but was not in mood to fill that entire form and open up my case to fill up those numbers they ask :cry: 
March 28, 2011 4:40:50 AM

I have the same mobo and would love the ability to use an am3+ cpu in the future, that would be great and save me 100-200 bucks or more on a new mobo
April 7, 2011 1:06:53 PM

jjb8675309 said:
I have the same mobo and would love the ability to use an am3+ cpu in the future, that would be great and save me 100-200 bucks or more on a new mobo

hey check this out our mobo supports AM3+ its confirmed now http://www.msi.com/product/mb/890GXM-G65.html
April 7, 2011 1:35:34 PM

that is awesome, now how long until bulldozer comes?
April 7, 2011 4:32:05 PM

jjb8675309 said:
that is awesome, now how long until bulldozer comes?

the bulldozer for clients (that's us) will be coming in Q2 of 2011 that''s before september and for server in Q3 this year .
April 7, 2011 4:39:03 PM

nice well I hope they stack up against the 2500k at least
April 7, 2011 4:42:52 PM

but hey its sweet that me and you have confirmed am3+ capable motherboards, it almost makes no sense to go for an SB build (for us anyways) now if the BD's performance is up to par. I was going to switch to a better board for future sli'ing opportunities, but I think I'm just going to keep the 570 (already oc'ed near 580 levels) and wait until the next powerful single card a year or more down the road, that paired with a BD or SB chip should last a long time (especially the cpu) imo...
April 7, 2011 4:45:13 PM

but then again it really makes no sense to upgrade to the BD or SB level of performance now when I have a 955 at 3.9 ghz. I understand that the BD/SB chips are indeed much faster but for gaming at 1080p right now everything is up to par and I feel like my cpu isn't holding me back at all even though its not an i5 or i7, it is not bottle-necking my gpu so really if my main goal is gaming then I might wait a while longer on any upgrade and maybe then pick up a bulldozer a year or more after they have been out and price has hopefully gone down... but then again at that point I might be on to a whole other build, you never know sometimes I get fanatical when new tech is released.... just some more thoughts
April 8, 2011 12:58:10 PM

jjb8675309 said:
but then again it really makes no sense to upgrade to the BD or SB level of performance now when I have a 955 at 3.9 ghz. I understand that the BD/SB chips are indeed much faster but for gaming at 1080p right now everything is up to par and I feel like my cpu isn't holding me back at all even though its not an i5 or i7, it is not bottle-necking my gpu so really if my main goal is gaming then I might wait a while longer on any upgrade and maybe then pick up a bulldozer a year or more after they have been out and price has hopefully gone down... but then again at that point I might be on to a whole other build, you never know sometimes I get fanatical when new tech is released.... just some more thoughts

I hav amd 1055t and i was thinking that i need to upgrade may be in a year or so. I planned i wud sell both mobo cpu combo but now i m glad i dont need to do that =D all i need is a new CPU BD and ya BD x6 wud be able to compete with new SB cpus.AMD claim 50% better performance that means we will get more per clock performance so better will be the OC :D 
now i will stick with this board. with this board i OCed my 1055t to 3.8Ghz stable .
a c 292 V Motherboard
April 8, 2011 2:00:59 PM

It's not only the BIOS.

Some ASUS mobos can support AM3+ CPUs because HAVE the 940 active pins that AM3+ CPUs needs and not only the 938 active pins of current AM3 CPUs.
April 8, 2011 2:29:29 PM

so therefore the mobo that we were referring to must have the 940 active pins?

this is the board:

MSI 890GXM-G65
a c 292 V Motherboard
April 8, 2011 2:37:41 PM

The socket are the same physical size, the difference is the active pins numbers in it.

That MSI mobo, UD5 Rev. 3.1 and ASRock (don't remember model) comes with the 940 active pins, try to compare with a picture the UD5 Rev. 3.0 and Rev. 3.1 and you will find the difference.
April 8, 2011 2:41:13 PM

I believe I have rev 2.0 so what you are saying is that it will not work bc it lacks the 940 active pins?
a c 292 V Motherboard
April 8, 2011 2:47:43 PM

^Correct, even in the mobos that support AM3+ (890FX...) the new AM3+ CPUs will lose some features.
April 8, 2011 3:55:22 PM

yeah thats bunk well if the prices and performance are the same as Sandy Bridge then I will have to go with intel when the time comes, I would not want a non fully function BD chip
April 8, 2011 4:22:05 PM

Even if that "not fully functional" only means you are losing a little bit of power saving? :o 

These things may be very important in a server environment but using 2% more power shouldn't be a breaking point for gamers, IMO.
a c 292 V Motherboard
April 8, 2011 5:23:54 PM

^That means this:

990FX chipset: SLI and Crossfire support.
890FX and others: Crossfire support, not SLI (only hack SLI)

And overclocking features, that for me, are very important.
April 8, 2011 6:30:00 PM

saint19 said:
^That means this:

990FX chipset: SLI and Crossfire support.
890FX and others: Crossfire support, not SLI (only hack SLI)

And overclocking features, that for me, are very important.

yeah OC features are very important to me as well if I were to go BD then I would buy a new motherboard in the end. I don't care about power consumption but if my OC capabilities are diminished then a buying a new board will not bother me.
April 9, 2011 8:37:06 AM

So 890GXM G65 has 938 pins and not 940 pins?? if thats the case then AM3+ cpu wont fit right?? or is it that it has 940 pins but only 938 are active?? if thats the case then BIOS update shud enable those pins too!!
a c 292 V Motherboard
April 10, 2011 3:18:19 AM

^The mobo comes with 940 pins but maybe only 938 are fully active.
April 11, 2011 3:39:15 AM

Im trying to get ahold of one of these 890FX mobos that support AM3+ and from what ive been reading it seems that all of the newer revisions of these boards that can support BD will have a BLACK socket instead of white that has one extra pin hole so the new AM3+ cpus will fit otherwise it will be impossible.

Anyone confirm this?
a c 292 V Motherboard
April 11, 2011 4:12:28 AM

^Correct, mobos 890FX chipset with BLACK socket are able to support bulldozer CPUs.
April 11, 2011 4:56:16 AM

ts631 said:
Im trying to get ahold of one of these 890FX mobos that support AM3+ and from what ive been reading it seems that all of the newer revisions of these boards that can support BD will have a BLACK socket instead of white that has one extra pin hole so the new AM3+ cpus will fit otherwise it will be impossible.

Anyone confirm this?

fitting shudnt be a prob as this board has white socket and it says support am3+
MSI says "Fully support AMD AM3+ mutil-core processors" so fully support either means that it will fit all BD cpus but with few features disabled or it means full support with all features anyway if i loose some feature like turbo2.0 or something like that i wudnt mind :na:  but i think it wont be a feature majority of the ppl will use.i dont knw i guess we will knw once BD is out and we see some review and benchmarks. :sol: 
April 11, 2011 5:00:59 AM

Sadly if someone was to buy a GA 890FXA UD5 mobo from newegg today they WOULD NOT receive an AM3+ black socket which i found out 2 weeks ago lol. So I sent it back and I think Im going to try a Asus M4a89td or a Crosshair 4 and see if i get lucky. Idk why Asus is making claims like this..

http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/AM3_PLUS_Ready/

and showing a white 941 pin Am3 socket in the picture and saying its going to fit a 942 pin Bulldozer processor.. they should tell people that only the BRAND NEW models off the assembly line will be able to work. Thats just settin people up for broken dreams :non: 
April 11, 2011 5:36:29 AM

""As said before, it isn't how many pin holes the socket has, it's the number of pins on the CPU. AM3 CPUs don't fill an AM3 socket! AM3 socket: 941 pin holes/AM3 cpu: 938 pins """

just read this here http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=103128

So maybe even if the non black socket mobos have one fewer pin they might still work depending on how many pins BD has??
Perhaps these AM3+ sockets are meant to officially support the BD cpu but the AM3 sockets will still work with BIOS update... just not officially supported

Idk this is so frustrating :cry: 
April 11, 2011 3:18:16 PM

yeah for real I wish there was one clean cut answer or i am going intel for my next build :) 
a c 292 V Motherboard
April 11, 2011 4:03:45 PM

jjb8675309 said:
yeah for real I wish there was one clean cut answer or i am going intel for my next build :) 

Someones already did that, but I keep my AMD rig
April 11, 2011 5:23:19 PM

i will wait for BD :)  and see how it works on my board (by watching reviews) and if not much different is found then i will go with BD otherwise i wud sell this mobo cpu combo and get some better SB cpumobo. I think my 1055t can hold easily for a year ;)  so i will wait for amd and intel to show their cards and cut prices coz of competition.
April 11, 2011 6:33:39 PM

lol yeah dude, I mean I dont know exactly what your system use is but your current cpu should last for more than a year lol, the SB and BD will be overkill for single display gaming for a good while to come imo...
April 11, 2011 6:45:09 PM

jjb8675309 said:
lol yeah dude, I mean I dont know exactly what your system use is but your current cpu should last for more than a year lol, the SB and BD will be overkill for single display gaming for a good while to come imo...

dude i use my system mainly for gaming .i hav 1055t and GTX460 1GB and guess what i play at 1024x768 resolution lol :lol: 
i don think anyone with 460 play at this resolution :D  idk when i will buy a new monitor bt till then i will enjoy high fps :pt1cable: 
April 11, 2011 8:34:22 PM

yeah I mean really you would be fine with much less of a cpu at that res, but my point was just that you should be able to get more than a year out of your current cpu before upgrading
April 12, 2011 12:11:18 AM

The only way a BD chip could work in a white socket amd board is if they release 2 types of cpu's like amd did with 754 and 939. Otherwise there will be the same boards reburned with am3+ black sockets on them and a new revision #.

A third option is to break off that extra pin to fit into the white socket but i dont think thats going to be an option.

The fact that black socket boards are already on sale and have current chipsets tells me.

A.This is the socket bulldozer needs.
B.MSI/ASUS and all others arent liers when they say it will work on thier current hardware..which black socket hardware will be everywhere at the time of 990 or whatever is released with BD.Making everything black socket that came before release CURRENT HARDWARE.

Current hardware means chipsets already available but with a compatable socket mounted to them.

So unless your board has a black socket i wouldnt hold my breath
!