Disk Boot Failure after computer unplugged for 5 days

camnipotent

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
Okay, all. I hope you can help me figure this out.

I went on vacation last Wednesday and just returned this evening. Before I left, I unplugged all of my computer equipment and any connection between a power outlet and my machine. It was completely isolated from any type of power. When I arrived home today, I plugged everything back in to the power outlets. I tried to boot up my computer, but the Hard Drive that my OS is installed on failed to boot the OS. I went into the BIOS and checked the boot order. I noticed that the BIOS is not detecting the HD with the OS installed on it, but the BIOS does detect my other HD. In the SATA spot where the OS HD is located, there is no ‘None’ or HD model number as there should be. Instead, it’s just a blank space.

I thought it might be a cable connection to my mobo or the PS, but after trying different cables in several configurations, all cables are working fine. It seems to be a HD problem, or something in the BIOS isn’t working right.

I read online that it might be that my CMOS battery is wearing out and that unplugging the machine for a long period of time can start to show the effects of a bad battery. I reset the CMOS to see if anything would change. Unfortunately, nothing did. The same thing is happening as above. The SATA spot where my OS HD is located is still coming up blank.

I’ve changed the SATA spots on my mobo to see if it was just a bad female connection. All of the SATA ports seem to be working just fine.

It’s looking like it may be a failed HD, but I’m hoping it’s just something to do with unplugging the computer for so long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cam

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
From the sounds of it, it is your HD. Take it out and inspect for any broken-bent-missing pins, then inspect the electronic board underneath for anything burnt. If nothing works, you can try booting into a Linux distro and see if you can access the drive from there. If it is still under warranty send the HD back.