Multiple Drives/Drive Types for Notebook

Hello

My current understanding regarding the division of applications/os/files on the different types of drives is this:


OS - SSD (To significantly increase read/write)
APP - SSD (To significantly increase read/write - heavy apps such as Photoshop, Avid, etc.)
Temp Files - SSD (I do not at all understand the reason why SSD are recommended - OR how to set this up)
Files - HDD

Could someone please confirm my understanding? Or perhaps advise alternatively?

My two main confusions are:
- Why is it better to have OS & APP on separate SSDs? Why not one?
- Why is it better to have temp files on SSD? Why not HHD (more read/write)


Also - if I have multiple drives in a laptop - do I need to purchase smaller sizes so as to permit all the drives to fit? Or is there already enough space in laptops?

Please guide :)
4 answers Last reply
More about multiple drives drive types notebook
  1. questi said:
    My current understanding regarding the division of applications/os/files on the different types of drives is this:

    OS - SSD (To significantly increase read/write)
    APP - SSD (To significantly increase read/write - heavy apps such as Photoshop, Avid, etc.)
    Temp Files - SSD (I do not at all understand the reason why SSD are recommended - OR how to set this up)
    Files - HDD

    Correct.

    Quote:
    - Why is it better to have OS & APP on separate SSDs? Why not one?

    Your O/S, Apps, and Temp files should be on one SSD. If you have large data files then store them on a HDD.

    Quote:
    - Why is it better to have temp files on SSD? Why not HHD (more read/write)

    Temp files can be accessed faster, and they can also be read and written faster if they are on a SSD.

    Quote:
    Also - if I have multiple drives in a laptop - do I need to purchase smaller sizes so as to permit all the drives to fit? Or is there already enough space in laptops?

    Most laptop drives are 2.5" in size. Go to your laptop manufacturer's website or your User Manual and it will tell you what size drive fits your model.
  2. I appreciate the prompt and clear reply :)

    So:
    1. SSD = OS & APPS (+ Space for SSD Wearing)
    2. HDD = Data Files

    You mentioned Temp Files on the same SSD as the OS & APPS
    - however - as I understood, is it not better to store is separately?
    This being due to the numerous times it will be read/written?

    Also - regarding the laptop drive size - my question was particularly this:
    Do all laptops have the capacity to support more than one drive?
    Or should I specifically be purchasing laptops that permit dual drives?
    If generally laptops have the drive space for 2.5" drives -
    then do I need to purchase 1.#" drives (1 SSD & the other HDD) so as to fit both?

    Thanks :)
  3. questi said:
    You mentioned Temp Files on the same SSD as the OS & APPS
    - however - as I understood, is it not better to store is separately?
    This being due to the numerous times it will be read/written?

    No, you no longer have to worry about drive longevity with current generation SSDs.
    If you move your temp files to a HDD your SSD will last 10 years. If you leave your temp files on the SSD it will last 9 years, 364 days. :) The numbers are not exact but I hope you get my meaning.

    Quote:
    Do all laptops have the capacity to support more than one drive?

    No. Probably more than half only have 1 drive bay.

    Quote:
    Or should I specifically be purchasing laptops that permit dual drives?

    Yes, look for laptops that have 2 drive bays.

    Quote:
    If generally laptops have the drive space for 2.5" drives -
    then do I need to purchase 1.#" drives (1 SSD & the other HDD) so as to fit both?

    Not quite sure I understand your question. The standard size for most SSDs is 2.5". HDD come in 2.5" and 3.5" sizes.
    So make sure both your SSD & HDD are the 2.5" size.

    The minimum capacity of your SSD should be 120GB. If you can afford a larger capacity drive then go for it.
  4. I sincerely appreciate you clarifying my questions, Dereck. Thank You :)
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Notebooks Storage