Troubleshooting my upgraded system. No video.

zack_of_steel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Hi, everyone. I recently came here for advice on some upgrades I could make to my HP Pavilion a4317c Desktop. This is my original thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=290673&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

Here is the page on the computer out of the box:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&docname=c01982717&product=4124974

This is its motherboard:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00906129&lc=en&cc=de&dlc=&product=3397528

I upgraded it tonight with an AMD Phenom II X4, Raedon HD 5770, and a CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W. I plugged in the computer and booted it up and, to my dismay, I was getting no image or boot up sequence. So I came here to troubleshoot and I read the sticky thread and I saw that I made one of the most common mistakes; I did not connect the 4-pin PSU cord to my motherboard.

I thought that I was in luck and I had just made a small mistake, but now when I boot up I still get no image. My monitor says it is scanning for the two types of display (DVI and VGA) and receives "No Signal" for both. I have tried connecting both cords separately and together (the new graphics card allows the use of the DVI cord whereas I was using VGA before). All of the fans spin at good speeds, my CD/DVD drive will open and close, but I cannot get my monitor to receive a signal. I don't know if that is a video problem or a problem with the CPU or what. I'd really like to get my computer running again before bed so any help would be greatly appreciated.

zack_of_steel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

You mean take it out and plug it back in, yeah? I can try that now, though shouldn't my old integrated video card still work if I connect it to my monitor the way I used to before upgrading?

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
is the mobo you have the new card on have integrated graphics on it? if so you need to disable it in the bios settings and then in windows device manager. i would google or check in the forums according to your mobo and os

zack_of_steel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

Sorry for the latent reply. After resetting it I now have image, only now I have a problem as I can't get my CD/DVD drive to read the installation disc that came with my new GPU... That and my computer seems to be running much louder than it ever did before. I'm not sure if it's overheating or that's just the sound of my new GPU/CPU.

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
it seems like i remember reading about the cd being useless on some 5000 series cards. if you can bring up catalyst, i would try downloading the 10.6 driver version and see if that helps...if it still is not working, try tech support. good luck man, this can be a pain in the butt sometimes

zack_of_steel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

Hmmm... That really sucks, lol. Well thanks for all of your help. I'll probably post back here with results.

zack_of_steel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks again for your help, el_bastardo. Your reseating suggestion fixed my problem.

My second problem was hardware ignorance on my part. I am really new to all of this and when I upgraded everything the first time and I was disconnecting all of my first PSU's cords I accidentally disconnected my HD and CD/DVD drive from my motherboard because they were similar (at least I thought so at first). I realized what I did and I plugged the HD back in, but I never reconnected the CD/DVD drive because the motherboard labeled the two cords as "State 1" and "State 2." I thought that the second cord was in case of the event that I decided to upgrade and add a second HD. I felt stupid when I reconnected the State 2 cord and it worked.