Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II 720BE slowdown in games

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2010 8:41:11 PM

Ok so I've been told in the GPU forums that my problem might be CPU related. So I figured I'd ask here. Basically I'm receiving some big frame drops from things like particles, smoke, lots of players around me or on the screen. Gun fights as well will make the frames drop quite a bit.

I'm wondering what could be the issue here. I've unlocked the 4th core, but switched back to X3 and didn't see much of a difference in performance. I've also accidentally spilled some thermal paste onto a couple pins on the back of the CPU, and a little into the socket. But I cleaned them out furiously one day, and there were no issues. And there wasn't that much paste to begin with.

example: In the source engine, I walk up to say a smoking barrel and put my face right in the smoke. Or in Battlefield, I drive into close quarters battle. I go from getting a 100 FPS all the way down to like 30 or 40 FPS. This is all at 1080p, a resolution that should work fine with my card (i think). Possibly a memory issue maybe?

xfx 4870
win7 64bit
phenom II x3 720BE 2.8ghz (unlocked 4th core)

Thanks for the help.
a c 131 à CPUs
August 21, 2010 3:24:27 AM

Can't say if it's a memory issue or not unless you tell us how much memory you have. But it could be if you have a low amount of ram. I had problems maxing out crysis due to memory because I only had 2GB.

Still, you likely should be fine. What temperatures are your CPU and GPU running during gaming? (use HWmonitor. It keeps a record of min/max temps while it's active).
m
l
August 23, 2010 4:56:27 PM

Hi, I'm using 4gb of ram. I'm not getting any more than 50C at load with my CPU and about 80C at load with my GPU. I can't even use all high settings (not very high) in crysis at 1080p.
m
l
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
August 25, 2010 7:46:11 PM

Keep 1080p.
Lower your other game settings and definitely turn anti-aliasing off.
Tell us specifically what games you are playing that have the issues and what settings.
I'll try my best to let you know if it is normal or if you are experiencing some odd issues, for your system setup.
m
l
September 10, 2010 10:33:40 PM

Sorry for the late reply I've been really busy.

Enzo I'll start with the Source Engine.
Anything with a lot of smoke, or amongst gun fights I get severe frame drops from almost 80 FPS almost down to 20 FPS. From both smoke and gunfights.

Crysis is another game I can't play to well on MP. SP works ok, I still expected WAY better performance than what I'm getting in SP. I have to keep everything on "good performance" most of the time in SP. And even then I can't even get a solid 30 FPS. In MP, I have to turn the graphics almost ALL the way down just to get a steady 30 FPS. All of this at 1080p.

I figured my computer is only a year old, why can't it play a game that came out 3 years ago? But I could be wrong, I'm generally inexperienced with newer PC's.

m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 12, 2010 2:53:04 PM

blacklabel67k said:
I figured my computer is only a year old, why can't it play a game that came out 3 years ago? But I could be wrong, I'm generally inexperienced with newer PC's.

Because it's crysis. I haven't played the multiplayer but I do know that that sounds normal for the single player.

And like I said, which source engine games? Half Life 2? Portal? Left for Dead? Source is just the engine and there were changes over time. The newer games look better and are more intense than older ones. And what settings?
m
l
!