Sign in with
Your question

SATA connections

Last response: in Storage
August 16, 2012 9:51:34 AM

Hello, I'm building a new PC with 1 SSD, for OS and software, and 2 HDD in RAID 1 for data storage. I want to use the Intel RAID controller, and I would like to know what's the best way to connect the drives to the mother board MSI P67A-GD65 with 4 x 6Gb/s (2 Intel + 2 Marvell) plus 4 x 3Gb/s (4 Intel). I also want to connect 2 optical drives. Can anyone give me some edvise on this?

More about : sata connections

a b å Intel
a c 531 G Storage
August 16, 2012 10:55:06 AM

Connect your SSD to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports (SATA1 or SATA2).
Connect your 2 HDDs to the Intel 3Gb/s ports (SATA3 & SATA4).
Connect your 2 ODDs to the Intel 3Gb/s ports (SATA5 & SATA6).

Set the SATA mode of the Intel ports to RAID mode. Any drives connected that are not part of an actual RAID will automatically default to AHCI mode.

Some ODDs will only work in IDE mode, so If you have any issues where you can't boot to an ODD during Windows install, or an ODD doesn't work in Windows then connect the 2 ODDs to the Marvell ports (SATA7 & SATA8), and set the SATA mode to IDE.

When installing Windows on your SSD only have your SSD and the ODD with your Windows installation disk connected. After installation is complete you can connect your remaining drives and create your RAID-1 array.

Don't forget to have your SATA ports in RAID mode when installing Windows.
August 16, 2012 12:17:24 PM

Dereck47 said:

Set the SATA mode of the Intel ports to RAID mode. Any drives connected that are not part of an actual RAID will automatically default to AHCI mode.

Some ODDs will only work in IDE mode, so If you have any issues where you can't boot to an ODD during Windows install, or an ODD doesn't work in Windows then connect the 2 ODDs to the Marvell ports (SATA7 & SATA8), and set the SATA mode to IDE.

When installing Windows on your SSD only have your SSD and the ODD with your Windows installation disk connected. After installation is complete you can connect your remaining drives and create your RAID-1 array.

***********************************************************************************

Thanks a lot for your support Dereck. To be more precise, I'm rebuilding the PC. The 2 HDDs are currently working in RAID 1 connected to SATA1 and SATA2. When changing the HDDs to SATA3 and SATA4 will the stored data in the HDDs be lost?
Related resources
a b å Intel
a c 531 G Storage
August 16, 2012 4:46:08 PM

Vitor Santos said:
Thanks a lot for your support Dereck. To be more precise, I'm rebuilding the PC. The 2 HDDs are currently working in RAID 1 connected to SATA1 and SATA2. When changing the HDDs to SATA3 and SATA4 will the stored data in the HDDs be lost?

No, your data will not be lost.
August 17, 2012 7:19:04 AM

Hi Dereck! Your input was very useful. Thanks a lot for your help.
August 20, 2012 11:05:53 AM

Dereck47 said:

Dereck, just one more question before I start to rebuild my PC: right now my PC drives are connected as indicated bellow:

- 1 SSD Crucial M4 128Gb connected to SATA7 (6Gb/s Marvell)
- 2 HDDs connected to SATA1 and SATA2 (6Gb/s Intel) in RAID 1
- 2 ODDs connected to SATA3 and SATA4 (3Gb/s Intel)

If I connect these drives as per your sugestion, will I manage to change the RAID 1 volume in BIOS from SATA1 and SATA2 to SATA3 and SATA4 without reinstalling Windows 7 in the SSD?
!