Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it time to upgrade my motherboad? (getting new cpu + vid card)

Last response: in Motherboards
March 20, 2011 4:51:42 PM

basically b ecause of my job i get an associate discount through amd right now i can get

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor*
AMD Radeon™ HD 6850 Graphics**

for $223 total including tax and shipping. (which i think is a great deal).

question is, should i buy a new motherboard?

current mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

also which mobo should i buy i was considering another gigabyte most likely

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

possibly?
im thinking this would probably be beneficial because it has ddr3 and such.

edit: i plan on overclocking my cpu, so a motherboard that supports that is necessary.
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
March 20, 2011 5:09:47 PM

You may want to wait and see which boards will get a bios update for bulldozer, amd's new core that is coming out in a month or two. Apparantly, some will work with it while others won't.
m
l
March 20, 2011 5:13:02 PM

o1die said:
You may want to wait and see which boards will get a bios update for bulldozer, amd's new core that is coming out in a month or two. Apparantly, some will work with it while others won't.

yeah i can afford to wait on the mobo. the vid card/cpu i cant because im leaving my old job and will loose that discount. im thinking ill jump on it cuz they usually run abuot $200 each
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 6:17:55 PM

I would reccomend getting this mobo.It's got a stronger NB and SB than your current(better for O.C.ing).Also has support for SATA III and USB 3.0.Along with a 7.1 audio chip.
And it's possible that with a BIOS update it would be ready for a Bulldozer chip(AMD's new line of processor).
The 890FX is the last generation before the new ones come out.So it's the strongest on the market.

m
l
March 20, 2011 6:21:49 PM

purple stank said:
I would reccomend getting this mobo.It's got a stronger NB and SB than your current(better for O.C.ing).Also has support for SATA III and USB 3.0.Along with a 7.1 audio chip.
And it's possible that with a BIOS update it would be ready for a Bulldozer chip(AMD's new line of processor).
The 890FX is the last generation before the new ones come out.So it's the strongest on the market.

isnt this one slightly better and less expensive?

(im assuming i could disable the onboard video)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 6:28:44 PM

The NB on the Gigabyte is weaker,but only slightly,than the MSI one.Both PCI express x16 slots run at x16 on the MSI.On the Gigabyte they run at x8 each.Not a huge difference but it does count when you need it.
The MSI version has really nice BIOS.Has a lot of extra features for O.C.ing and such.Also the MSI mobo is supposidly AM3+ ready.Just need a BIOS update and it will support the new chips.
m
l
March 20, 2011 6:42:55 PM

purple stank said:
The NB on the Gigabyte is weaker,but only slightly,than the MSI one.Both PCI express x16 slots run at x16 on the MSI.On the Gigabyte they run at x8 each.Not a huge difference but it does count when you need it.
The MSI version has really nice BIOS.Has a lot of extra features for O.C.ing and such.Also the MSI mobo is supposidly AM3+ ready.Just need a BIOS update and it will support the new chips.

yeah i would prob buy that mobo but looking at reviews its 30% 1 stars (mostly because of a ton of defective boards)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 7:24:30 PM

Well,i have that board and i haven't gotten any problems yet.
m
l
March 20, 2011 10:15:17 PM

another thing im really wondering is, will there be any noticible difference between a new and my old mobo (most likely due to ddr3 vs ddr2?)

overclocking that cpu to 4ghz
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 10:22:16 PM

Well theirs a huge difference between DDR3 and DDR2 memory but i'm sure you are using the same DDR3 memory.The 8xx series mobos are a generation above your old 7xx series so in theroy they are all around better.The 8xx series has a stronger NB which should mean your RAM can translate better resulting in more performance.Choosing a better mobo shouldn't really effect the outcome of how high you can O.C. It's mostly based on the limitations of each chip.But haveing a better mobo could also allow it to reach higher clocks.In my case it didn't but yours could be different.

Another thing to think about is that supposidly in 3-4 months(around june or july)The new mobo's with come out the 9xx series.Something to think about if you just wanna hold off on the mobo upgrade until then.
March 20, 2011 10:24:40 PM

purple stank said:
Well theirs a huge difference between DDR3 and DDR2 memory but i'm sure you are using the same DDR3 memory.The 8xx series mobos are a generation above your old 7xx series so in theroy they are all around better.The 8xx series has a stronger NB which should mean your RAM can translate better resulting in more performance.Choosing a better mobo shouldn't really effect the outcome of how high you can O.C. It's mostly based on the limitations of each chip.But haveing a better mobo could also allow it to reach higher clocks.In my case it didn't but yours could be different.

Another thing to think about is that supposidly in 3-4 months(around june or july)The new mobo's with come out the 9xx series.Something to think about if you just wanna hold off on the mobo upgrade until then.

thanks what im thinking is ill order the cpu +vid card cuz they are such a great deal (and my current vid cards dying) and ill wait till the new mobo come out soon and then upgrade it. ill give u best answer after waiting a bit unless someone comes up with something life changing lol
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 10:41:24 PM

Yah i was thinking that seems the better option.Mobo's are to close to going on the market that it makes buying a 890 not really worth it.

Goodluck
m
l
March 20, 2011 11:12:11 PM

purple stank said:
Yah i was thinking that seems the better option.Mobo's are to close to going on the market that it makes buying a 890 not really worth it.

Goodluck

btw your case pic looks pretty sick .

im rocking a master cooler haf 932 (last 09/10 model) its not as sick looking but its HUGE and cools very well/quietly
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2011 12:19:18 AM

Thats the HAF 922.I use all blue leds fans execpt the side and top 200mm's.Then i boguht a 5 LED laser light which is why it's green on the bottom.I went for performance/looks over quiet,got a nice hum to it but can't even hear it when you've got music on.

m
l
March 21, 2011 3:20:34 AM

purple stank said:
Thats the HAF 922.I use all blue leds fans execpt the side and top 200mm's.Then i boguht a 5 LED laser light which is why it's green on the bottom.I went for performance/looks over quiet,got a nice hum to it but can't even hear it when you've got music on.

]http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/5185/compdark2.th.jpg

yeah mines so quiet thati cant sleep with it on because i can hear the hard drives lol
m
l
March 22, 2011 6:26:52 PM

Best answer selected by thiisonecrazy.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 6:40:36 PM

I would defnitly suggest getting a SSD if you have the money.
Have you read up on them?No moving parts,instant access.At least get a small SSD for your OS.If i had the money i would so get it.
What you think of SSD?
m
l
!