Question about Adding Memory

ownix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
So, I'm thinking about adding 4GB's of ram to my PC. Currently I have 4GB's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline (CL9, 1600 MHz, DDR3). The ram im thinking about adding is the G.SKILL Ripjaws with same specs (1600 MHz, CL9 and so fourth).

Now, I'm on amazon.co.uk (I live in Denmark), looking at an excellent price, yet I wonder if its even gonna be compatible to add a different brand? Sorry for taking people's time with such a simple question, but honestly I had no idea what to Google without typing a novel in the search box.

Thanks for time in advance.

ownix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I found out my stock voltages were 1.63 (Used HWMonitor Pro), so I went in my BIOS and lowered them to socalled 1.5 volts, and now they show up as 1.54 v on HWMonitor. Would it be safe to add a pair of 1.5v ripjaws?

ownix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I've found out that I've been supplied some wrong info when buying the sticks. Turns out hey are Silverlines with the stiletto heatsink. I found them on the site, and they're labeled 1.5V

If you are not sure what is the correct voltage You can download CPUID CPU-Z. Install and run. On the memory SPD tab it will show you the CL ratings and at what voltage that is stored in the memory modules. As to mixing brands, Even with the same ratings there is a small possibility that they will not co-exist.

On the Mushkin Enhanced Blackline modules, it looks like a large number of them use 1.65 V. One was listed as 1.6V and a couple of the "kits where listed as 1.5->1.65. Reason to run CPU-Z to verify. On the New ones listed @ 1.5 V, If your Muskins are 1.65 V, then that is what BIOS should be set to. And that is what your NEW memory will have applied - Nornmally you can increase the v above the 1.5, But depending on the "Quality" and the Heatsync you can/may damage the 1.5 V memory - Any thing above a Manuf rated value is AT YOUR own risk.

PS I have the DDR3-1600 CL7 (1.60 Volt) Ripjaws and love them.
I went from 2 x 2 (4 gigs -> 4 x 2 (8 gigs) -> 2 x 4 + 2 x 2 (12 gigs). Last night I removed the 2 x 2 and replaced them with 2 x 4 for 16 gigs. NEVER a Problem! Had the Bios set to use XMP profile one and it set timing and voltage to the Manuf specs as stored on the Modules.

ADDED
Just looked @ newegg Silverlines and they are listed as 1.5 -> 1.6 V, so should be OK at 1.6 -> 1.65 V - So should be OK.

Never mix different Voltage RAM, and in general I don't recommend Mixing RAM:
1. BEST = Clone / Same RAM
2. Good = Same RAM Mfg w/same Frequency, CAS Timings {all of them e.g. 9-9-9-24-2N} and Voltage
3. Acceptable = Same Frequency, CAS Timings {all of them e.g. 9-9-9-24-2N} and Voltage
-
4. BAD = Different: Frequency, CAS Timings {all of them e.g. 9-9-9-24-2N} and Voltage

Use CPU-Z {SPD tab} to identify the correct Part Number or simply 'read' the label off the RAM.

If you post exactly what you have now then I/we can find suitable RAM.

Q - Exact Part Number installed? {prefer a link & part number}
Q - Why 8GB? {4GB vs 8GB is fine if you're rendering or running 75%+ Physical RAM}
Q - Where do you shop? {need links}