Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My 5770 runs portal choppy? lol

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2010 2:23:43 PM

Ok i'm going to start off that im running in 1080p 1920x1080 acer h233h monitor.
biostar ta790gx a3+ I don't know if i'd recommend this motherboard to anyone its sb is running at 50c no telling what under load all the time.
amd 965 4x 3.4 -140 w edition
4gb dual channel corsair xms3 ram
windows 7 ultimate 64bit oem

This isn't really the only game I have problems with but this one seems to have a more unique one then just lack of horsepower to push the game at that resolution (example battefield 2)

When Im turning around it gets Jagged as hell and my aa is set up in the game video mode and all the ati cc settings are all set to factory defaults.

I think the only game this card is pushing hard like I think it should would be bio shock 2 but I think thats locked at 60fps anyways that's probably why, i'm saying its pushing it hard because i can go into cc and turn up some of the settings

Call of duty mw2 runs fine but I think that game kinda reminds me of rainbow 6 the way they do the graphics and textures its so optimized for multilayer..

Crysis kinda brings it to a hault but I think I just need to mess with the graphic settings and it would be alright
Haven't installed warhead yet because of the drm lol..

And I bought LFD2 thats running fluidly but its a console game just like mw2 is so I expect those to be real easy..

Now here's my point portal runs better on my xbox 360 orange box then it runs on my pc...

its got a nice fan on the cpu, its not the cpu getting hot I got the cnps10x extreme zalman running at full blast all the time..
I'm starting to wonder if i'm going to have to take the 3d card out and start moding that but from what I see there's not much fps to be gained maybe just cooldown eh? But i'm not really wanting to go that route i'd almost rather sell the card and then buy a nividia if I gotta go that route, this is my first ati and dang seems like drivers are lacking here. don't be a fanboy and jump on me for that one but it seems like drivers to me..

Ok i'm thinking, jeez this game should run so fluid easily right so i'm looking for a software culprit..
goto my mb manu http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/t-series/driver.php?S_...

have the chip-set installed along with the newest 10.4 cc from ati's site for the 5xxx pci-e series

I looked at my mb manual and made sure that I had 16x enabled and it wasn't shooting 8x or something weird like that ya its 16x verified in cpu-z so its not that. (saw someone else s post where it was that)

Now this mb has some goofy integrated graphics built in ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics i'm wondering if somehow in some setting it might not be disabled and might be causing a conflict with irq's or w/e

anyways the opinions on how the games are running are my opinions and please don't feel like im bashing a game or anything just annoyed with how its running. :hello: 
May 17, 2010 1:59:31 AM

anyone at all?
m
l
May 17, 2010 2:04:50 AM

Seeing as the 5770 is touted as being the best thing since sliced bread by quite a few of the ATi faithful your opinions really are are against the grain, which could be why no ones answering.
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2010 2:12:49 AM

I played Portal for the first time lastnight (beat it in one evening). Anyhow, I played it with an SLI GTX 260 setup. Fraps was showing a consistent 300FPS (yes, that's right). Ultimately I just turned on VSYNC and let it run at 60FPS.

It ran beyond smooth. I was actually impressed with the over all image quality considering it's based on the Half Life 2 Source engine (using DX9). Might have to install Half Life 2 again for fun. :) 
m
l
May 17, 2010 2:15:55 AM

BTW, this is just my personal assumption.... but I think you're not getting responses because your thread.... seems to be lacking any kind of question. Plus, it's sort of a long run on sentence and really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Sounds more like a person just thinking out loud if you will.

Do you actually have a question you want people to respond too?
m
l
May 17, 2010 2:24:08 AM

jerreece said:
Do you actually have a question you want people to respond too?

Seriously?
The question is obviously why he can't play Portal smoothly on a system that is almost insanely overpowered for that game. I don't really have an answer but the question at least is obvious.
Personally I have a partition on one of my hard drives with an installation of windows I've used just for testing whether something is a hardware or software problem. You may want to try that as well. If you get the same problems then it is a hardware issue, if not then it's a software problem.
m
l
May 17, 2010 5:24:30 AM

jyjjy said:
Seriously?
The question is obviously why he can't play Portal smoothly on a system that is almost insanely overpowered for that game. I don't really have an answer but the question at least is obvious.
Personally I have a partition on one of my hard drives with an installation of windows I've used just for testing whether something is a hardware or software problem. You may want to try that as well. If you get the same problems then it is a hardware issue, if not then it's a software problem.

ya true, see im thinking about upgrading graphics cards now this is just making me sick lol, im not saying its not running good its just when you turn like a whole 360 you can see lack of aa or like screen tear hardcore im just wondering if this is usual for anyone else with a 5770

m
l

Best solution

May 17, 2010 3:48:42 PM

I think you need to enable vsync. If you are getting a horizontal tear in the display when you are spinning round or doing fast movements in the game enabling vsync -'wait for vertical syncronisation' - will stop the image tearing as you describe it.
May 17, 2010 3:48:56 PM

Have you checked to see what frame rates you are getting? Screen tearing is actually usually caused by frame rates that are too high. Turning on vsync usually fixes the problem.
m
l
May 17, 2010 4:06:40 PM

ya framerates are in 120-150+ so i think that might be the problem!
m
l
May 17, 2010 4:17:30 PM

Just tested it out and that fixed it but my frames are stuck at 60 fps =/ lols
m
l
May 17, 2010 4:18:38 PM

Best answer selected by cmaki2008.
m
l
May 17, 2010 4:24:31 PM

A frame rate over 60 is useless. Your monitor has a refresh rate of 60 hz which means it can only actually display 60 frames per second. On all games where you consistently get over 60 fps it is best to turn on vsync for the smoothest experience.
m
l
May 17, 2010 8:15:47 PM

nice im learning something new everyday i would of chose you for best answer but the other guy said it right
m
l
May 18, 2010 5:12:08 AM

Well he did also beat me to the answer by 14 seconds :p 
m
l
May 27, 2010 2:35:55 AM

your still great help i'm starting to wish I had a different motherboard because I got a 2nd 5770 to crossfire and its running like crap =/ I dunno what im doing wrong lol

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289367-33-5770-benchm...

if you care to take a stab

I got the right drivers, crossfire is enabled in ccc
says linked doesn't say not working or anything just really low scores in the new 3d vantage looked buggy as hell to driverwise
m
l
!