Sign in with
Your question

MSI 890fxa-gd70 won't post after Bios changes involving CPU/MEMORY

Last response: in Motherboards
March 20, 2011 9:34:17 PM

I am trying to figure out a fix to my issue with my mobo impartically my bios
Everytime I try to make an adjustment to the CPU/Memory my system won't post/ get video to my screen. Which results with me having to result the CMOS.

To sum up the main components
1. Cpu AMD phenom II 1100t
2. Memory G.skill ddr3 1600 Ripjaws 2x4gig sticks
3. Noctua Aftermarket CPU cooler
4. Ultra x4 1200 PSU
5. 2 MSI 5770 Hawk video cards
Further info
Debug code on mobo is (FF)
I have tried multiple different placements and configs with my vid cards
Any help would be highly appreaciated
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 10:14:59 PM

Are you trying to O.C.?
m
l
March 20, 2011 10:54:53 PM

I am trying to adjust my ram to the correct setting and I am trying to overclock as well. As I stated I am able to overclock in msi control center and somewhat in amd overdrive. Just anytime I change ANYTHING envolving the cpu/memory in bios it won't post or bring video to my screen. until I reset the bios
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2011 12:03:37 AM

americangaming said:
I am trying to figure out a fix to my issue with my mobo impartically my bios
Everytime I try to make an adjustment to the CPU/Memory my system won't post/ get video to my screen. Which results with me having to result the CMOS.

To sum up the main components
1. Cpu AMD phenom II 1100t
2. Memory G.skill ddr3 1600 Ripjaws 2x4gig sticks
3. Noctua Aftermarket CPU cooler
4. Ultra x4 1200 PSU
5. 2 MSI 5770 Hawk video cards
Further info
Debug code on mobo is (FF)
I have tried multiple different placements and configs with my vid cards
Any help would be highly appreaciated

hi

ff debug code on my dfi 590 means the system has posted. your problem is elsewhere.
m
l
March 21, 2011 12:13:58 AM

eozols said:
hi

ff debug code on my dfi 590 means the system has posted. your problem is elsewhere.

First off DFI and MSI are DIFFERENT companies and debug codes even though the same are different. Obviously its a problem with my mobo as after I reset the bios back to factory settings the problem is fixed. Also furthermore HOPEFULLY you know what posting means. If not I will explain. When a motherboard posts it is when you see the black screen with the motherboard and hardware info.

As I said when I change THE BIOS it will not post which tells me that it is something relating to the motherboard. Don't ask me if its my powersupply as I have used 2 seperate powersupplys to confirm whether or not that was the issue which it wasn't
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2011 12:17:50 AM

Trying uping the voltage on whatever your trying to adjust.
m
l
March 21, 2011 3:54:15 AM

purple stank said:
Trying uping the voltage on whatever your trying to adjust.

i have all the voltages adjusted to the mfgrs recommended voltage. And as I said it is when I try to adjust ANYTHING related to the cpu and or ram. even when adjusted amd cool and quiet or enabeling OC genie in the bios ONLY
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2011 5:43:15 AM

Guess you should return it then.Theirs no reason you shouldn't be able to boot even you adjust 1 setting,it's not the system it's the BIOS/board.
I have the GD-65 version.I guess their so new they haven't got all the kinks worked out of them yet.I'm thinking of sending mine back too.I'm having voltage problems.
m
l
June 16, 2011 1:47:16 AM

did you end up returning this mobo? I am using a 1090t with the 890fxa gd70 and am having very similar problems. I can oc using the oc genie but when i do it manually, it won't post. I have even tried setting the same settings the oc genie used and manually entering them in bios and it wont post. I cant even add .5 to the multiplier with a v increase and get it to post. wtf?
m
l
August 4, 2011 2:44:50 AM

hey all,

I hate to hack this thread but i have a quick question for people with similar hardware. I am using a gd-65 with a 1090t. I have a xfx 6870 that i am trying to use but I i get no video. The card has been tested and is fine. I think it might be a pci2.1 to 2.0 issue but im not that great at all this stuff. any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2011 2:57:18 AM

Their are no known problems between 2.1 and 2.0.
Only 1.0 and 2.1.

Did you try using another monitor?

Have you tried using the 6870 in another computer?
m
l
August 4, 2011 3:16:00 AM

the 6870 was used in another computer and worked. could my monitor really be the issue? its a dvi plug and has worked fine with my old computer. does anyone know what one long beep and two short beeps mean with MSI boards... the instruction manually is painfully inadequate.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2011 3:41:47 AM

One beep is a post beep which means everything is fine.Any other beeps after or before that means theirs something wrong.I would get in contact with MSI and ask about it.
m
l
August 4, 2011 4:15:39 AM

i will, just wondering if anyone knew of documentation on the beeps...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2011 6:06:00 AM

I used to own the GD-65 but I never had any problems with it.It played my XFX 6870 just fine.I ended up Returning it because the voltage would never stay constant.Voltage fluxuation is normal but I don't like it for O.C.ing.

When the processor is under load the voltage goes up by .05.Some say it's minute but if your already at the max voltage your processor allows and it goes up by .05 it's overvolting itself.I didn't like that about it.Otherwise I thought it was a great board.
m
l
August 4, 2011 6:27:52 AM

i found some stuff on the beeps. looks like its having trouble with the video output. i actually had the same issue with the same hardware(video card, hard drives, memory) except I was using an asus 880G chipset. Did u upgrade to the 6870 or build the computer with it from the beginning. I'm not sure what the problem is anymore. two different motherboards, same issue. the video card actually has been rma'd three times and i took this one to a shop to confirm its good. plus the two previous did not have any problems once xfx received and tested them. There are two dvi outputs on this card(one says vga next to it but it is DVI) does it matter which one its plugged into? could it be the monitor and or memory even though they worked with the 880G using the integrated graphics?
m
l
August 4, 2011 6:29:59 AM

I have a question about the 8-pin graphics power input which is located directly on the board. the video card has two 6-pin power connectors already so i am not sure if the board's 6-pin power for graphics needs to be used??? I tried both with and without the third 6-pin and both times get one long beep and two short beeps but I would still like to know what is the correct way to configure it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2011 7:21:19 AM

The 6-pin connector on the mobo is just to supply additonal power through the PCI-express slots.I'm not exactly sure what it does or how it can be used but my guess would be that if you are running out of room for power and your trying to O.C. you could use the extra 6 pin for more power to obtain a higher O.C.Since the 6870 already gets plenty of power through the x2 6pins and the mobo theirs no need to use the additional 6 pin on the mobo.I never used the 6-pin on the mobo and it worked fine.

I bought the 6870 as a upgrade from my 5570 that came with the computer.I use it with a Gigabyte 770T.The GD-65 I bought to replace the Gigabyte board but I didn't like the voltage so I returned it.

Have you tried using the 6870 in the other PCI-Express slot?

If it's a memory problem then it's not graphics related.Usually it won't post or it will give you another set of beeps.

Can you post a link of which 6870 you have?
m
l
!