Friend with Cingular is driving me crazy with CID issues

Last response: in Network Providers
March 30, 2005 11:18:25 PM

I have a friend who is a Cingular customer and she says that when I
call her from my BellSouth landline, it frequently shows up as no
number on her CID. I do not have CID blocking service activated, nor
have I ever called her using per call CID blocking. The problem is,
she gets a lot of these calls with no CID, and she immediately assumes
it was me who called and then she calls me to see if I called her.
It's really starting to piss me off. I've let her know I'm upset
about it, but she claims I'm the only one who she has this problem
with. Like hell, because she keeps calling me when I haven't tried to
call her, so I'd lay money on it being a Cingular problem. I never
have a problem with my VZW phones showing CID info. I kind of wish
she had never left VZW, due to this issue alone.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? If so, did you have
any success getting Cingular to admit it, or heaven forfend, actually
fix it?

TIA!
March 31, 2005 4:23:20 PM

In article <0ffm411occfc75g9kmi17gb246pgl7bc1v@4ax.com>, ghost@general.lee
says...
> Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? If so, did you have
> any success getting Cingular to admit it, or heaven forfend, actually
> fix it?

she has a bunch of friends who block ID before they call her and she thinks
it is you so she calls you? dump her or change your number and don't give
her the new one.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:49:24 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:23:20 GMT, john <john@invalid.inv> wrote:

>In article <0ffm411occfc75g9kmi17gb246pgl7bc1v@4ax.com>, ghost@general.lee
>says...
>> Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? If so, did you have
>> any success getting Cingular to admit it, or heaven forfend, actually
>> fix it?
>>

>she has a bunch of friends who block ID before they call her and she thinks
>it is you so she calls you? dump her or change your number and don't give
>her the new one.

It's not really worth tossing a 20+ year friendship over an issue like
this. Tis much better to actually find and fix the problem.
March 31, 2005 7:49:47 PM

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
>I have a friend who is a Cingular customer and she says that when I
> call her from my BellSouth landline, it frequently shows up as no
> number on her CID. I do not have CID blocking service activated, nor
> have I ever called her using per call CID blocking. The problem is,
> she gets a lot of these calls with no CID, and she immediately assumes
> it was me who called and then she calls me to see if I called her.
> It's really starting to piss me off. I've let her know I'm upset
> about it, but she claims I'm the only one who she has this problem
> with. Like hell, because she keeps calling me when I haven't tried to
> call her, so I'd lay money on it being a Cingular problem. I never
> have a problem with my VZW phones showing CID info. I kind of wish
> she had never left VZW, due to this issue alone.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? If so, did you have
> any success getting Cingular to admit it, or heaven forfend, actually
> fix it?
>
> TIA!

Have you ever considered it might be a Bell South problem? Do you live in
different area codes, different states? Why do you assume it's a Cingular
issue?

TC
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:49:48 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:49:47 GMT, "Tony Clark"
<curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Have you ever considered it might be a Bell South problem? Do you live in
>different area codes, different states? Why do you assume it's a Cingular
>issue?

If it is a BellSouth issue, then in a round about way, it is a
Cingular issue, as BS is part owner of Cingular. I presume it to be a
Cingular issue because, 1) only she has the problem on her Cingular
phone, not her BS land line at home, and 2) I've never had any reports
of problems with my CID being transmitted to any other phone, be it
Verizon Wireless, Verizon land line, or BS. Our lines are in the same
LATA and area code.
March 31, 2005 11:48:21 PM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:49:47 GMT, "Tony Clark"
> <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Have you ever considered it might be a Bell South problem? Do you live in
>>different area codes, different states? Why do you assume it's a Cingular
>>issue?
>

> If it is a BellSouth issue, then in a round about way, it is a
> Cingular issue, as BS is part owner of Cingular. I presume it to be a
> Cingular issue because, 1) only she has the problem on her Cingular
> phone, not her BS land line at home, and 2) I've never had any reports
> of problems with my CID being transmitted to any other phone, be it
> Verizon Wireless, Verizon land line, or BS. Our lines are in the same
> LATA and area code.

Didja ever consider she's fibbing about the whole charade, and she's not
too bright about coming up with excuses to hear your lovely voice? If
you get the chance, have a peek at the received call record in her
phone, paying particular attention to the ones with no number. If the
phone's clock/calendar are accurate... well, you'll know what to do.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:48:21 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Didja ever consider she's fibbing about the whole charade, and she's not
>too bright about coming up with excuses to hear your lovely voice?

Yes, it's been considered and dismissed. She has no reason to lie
about the incoming calls, and believe me, she'll never run out of
legitimate excuses to call.

>If
>you get the chance, have a peek at the received call record in her
>phone, paying particular attention to the ones with no number.
>
>If the
>phone's clock/calendar are accurate... well, you'll know what to do.

IIRC, I did look at her received call list a couple of months ago, and
did see an unknown call listed in there. But, I didn't connect the
two problems then, as it wasn't on my mind at the time. I try not to
use her phone that often, because I friggin' hate the damn thing. My
Koycera has me spoiled.;-)
April 1, 2005 4:23:37 AM

In article <1goo41975b0v39rlg7sr4ljhiem3o1jngs@4ax.com>, ghost@general.lee
says...
> t's not really worth tossing a 20+ year friendship over an issue like
> this. Tis much better to actually find and fix the problem.

OK, then, some telemarketing companies do not send out the information,
they purposely block it. She is probably getting some of these calls in the
mix and bothering you about it. This you will not be able to *fix* other
than some serious behavior modification treatments (you select the most
appropriate) for your friend. It really just may be she is kinda sick and
needs help, and that is all that needs to be *fixed*. But you get screwed,
(in a screwy kinda way) hey, it's your life.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:23:38 AM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:23:37 GMT, john <john@invalid.inv> wrote:

>In article <1goo41975b0v39rlg7sr4ljhiem3o1jngs@4ax.com>, ghost@general.lee
>says...
>> t's not really worth tossing a 20+ year friendship over an issue like
>> this. Tis much better to actually find and fix the problem.
>>

>OK, then, some telemarketing companies do not send out the information,
>they purposely block it. She is probably getting some of these calls in the
>mix and bothering you about it. This you will not be able to *fix* other
>than some serious behavior modification treatments (you select the most
>appropriate) for your friend. It really just may be she is kinda sick and
>needs help, and that is all that needs to be *fixed*. But you get screwed,
>(in a screwy kinda way) hey, it's your life.

If telemarketers are doing this, then they are breaking the law. They
are supposed to send CID info now. And the calls are not showing up
as "private", she says they show up as "unknown". I don't know how
Cingular and the Samsung A327 (?) handle CID, but all of my VZW phones
differentiate between private and unknown calls.

Her reasoning for calling *me* back after every unknown call is indeed
a separate issue, and one I will deal with, but I need to put her on a
path of actually resolving the phone problem, too. It can only be
from one of two sources: Cingular or BellSouth. She ought to just
put in trouble tickets with both companies and let them fight it out.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:52:22 AM

I agree with John. The compulsion to find out who called is weird. i don't
bother when i miss a phone call. If it's important they'll call back. And
if a call is private i let it go to voice mail and if it's important they
would leave a message. You friend needs to get her priority in order.

"john" <john@invalid.inv> wrote in message
> In article <1goo41975b0v39rlg7sr4ljhiem3o1jngs@4ax.com>, ghost@general.lee
> says...
>> t's not really worth tossing a 20+ year friendship over an issue like
>> this. Tis much better to actually find and fix the problem.
>>

> OK, then, some telemarketing companies do not send out the information,
> they purposely block it. She is probably getting some of these calls in
> the
> mix and bothering you about it. This you will not be able to *fix* other
> than some serious behavior modification treatments (you select the most
> appropriate) for your friend. It really just may be she is kinda sick and
> needs help, and that is all that needs to be *fixed*. But you get screwed,
> (in a screwy kinda way) hey, it's your life.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:52:23 AM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:52:22 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

>I agree with John. The compulsion to find out who called is weird. i don't
>bother when i miss a phone call. If it's important they'll call back. And
>if a call is private i let it go to voice mail and if it's important they
>would leave a message. You friend needs to get her priority in order.

Your last sentence I won't deny (for reasons other than telephone
related), but, sometimes when I do call her and she answers, she says
it comes up with no number. She has no reason to lie to me about
that. I would have her try it here so I could see it happen, but
alas, she can barely get a signal where I live. That's one reason I
stayed with VZW.;-)
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:24:36 AM

On 3/30/05 7:18 PM, in article 0ffm411occfc75g9kmi17gb246pgl7bc1v@4ax.com,
"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? If so, did you have
> any success getting Cingular to admit it, or heaven forfend, actually
> fix it?
How about having her call 611 from her phone and explaining the issue to
them? We had some weird issues when we were on VZW calling Nextel users
(calls would state they were disconnected or not ring at all just "dead
air"). VZW/Nextel straightened it out. I'd expect the same from Cingular.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:29:08 PM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:23:37 GMT, john <john@invalid.inv> wrote:
>

>>In article <1goo41975b0v39rlg7sr4ljhiem3o1jngs@4ax.com>, ghost@general.lee
>>says...
>>
>>>t's not really worth tossing a 20+ year friendship over an issue like
>>>this. Tis much better to actually find and fix the problem.
>>>

>>OK, then, some telemarketing companies do not send out the information,
>>they purposely block it. She is probably getting some of these calls in the
>>mix and bothering you about it. This you will not be able to *fix* other
>>than some serious behavior modification treatments (you select the most
>>appropriate) for your friend. It really just may be she is kinda sick and
>>needs help, and that is all that needs to be *fixed*. But you get screwed,
>>(in a screwy kinda way) hey, it's your life.
>

> If telemarketers are doing this, then they are breaking the law. They
> are supposed to send CID info now. And the calls are not showing up
> as "private", she says they show up as "unknown". I don't know how
> Cingular and the Samsung A327 (?) handle CID, but all of my VZW phones
> differentiate between private and unknown calls.
>
> Her reasoning for calling *me* back after every unknown call is indeed
> a separate issue, and one I will deal with, but I need to put her on a
> path of actually resolving the phone problem, too. It can only be
> from one of two sources: Cingular or BellSouth. She ought to just
> put in trouble tickets with both companies and let them fight it out.

It is possible that she is receiving a call from someone who is using a
phone company that does not support Caller ID (yes, there are still
small companies in the US, Canada, and Caribbean who do not support CID).

TH
April 1, 2005 9:26:25 PM

In article <114qsphfc2skk4c@corp.supernews.com>, gdunn@airmail.ten says...
> Yes, pre-emptive dialing software can be configured to....
>
> 1. Refrain from providing the caller's CID - resulting in an 'unknown'
> to the callee
> 2. Specifically block the caller's CID - resulting in a "private' to
> the callee
>
> The legalities relating to telemarketers for using either of the above
> are unknown to me.
>
> Further, any telecommunications system that supports CID is required to
> offer individual callers the option of managing their own CID using one
> of two default dialing modes - provide it on all calls or none at all.
> Regardless of which default mode is enforced, a one-time exception for
> the next call only can be selected by the caller with a pre-empted dial
> code. Look in a local phone book or the carrier's web page for dial
> code details.

actually it is predictive, able to predict when a next call needs to be
made to keep operators busy. I was reading an article about pre-emptive
military strikes and that word was fresh in my mind. sorry about that.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:17:48 AM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 12:29:08 GMT, Tropical Haven <user@example.net>
wrote:

>It is possible that she is receiving a call from someone who is using a
>phone company that does not support Caller ID (yes, there are still
>small companies in the US, Canada, and Caribbean who do not support CID).

Yes, I won't deny that, but as I've previously said in this thread, it
has indeed shown me as "unknown" on occasion when I've called and she
answered. That's how she knew it was happening with my calls, and
which lead her to assume it was only my calls that were creating the
situation. The questionable calls are ones where she doesn't answer
and the caller doesn't leave a VM. Some of the calls might have been
mine, but certainly not all.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:12:53 AM

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:23:20 GMT, john <john@invalid.inv> wrote:
>
>> In article <0ffm411occfc75g9kmi17gb246pgl7bc1v@4ax.com>,
>> ghost@general.lee says...
>>> Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? If so, did you
>>> have any success getting Cingular to admit it, or heaven forfend,
>>> actually fix it?
>>>

>> she has a bunch of friends who block ID before they call her and she
>> thinks it is you so she calls you? dump her or change your number
>> and don't give her the new one.
>
> It's not really worth tossing a 20+ year friendship over an issue like
> this. Tis much better to actually find and fix the problem.

Tell her if it is you calling you will ring the phone X times and then hang
up.
I would make this very clear that it is pissing you off and if she keeps
bothering you with it your CID works and you now ignore her calls.
April 2, 2005 3:30:44 PM

In article <946s41l9cq2u8vkgba2v7t8bc315cjdkqo@4ax.com>, ghost@general.lee
says...
> She commented earlier today that she was thinking of leaving Cingular
> soon, so I think the problem will self-correct.

you think? good luck. and let us know if it does.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 7:40:15 PM

> I have a friend who is a Cingular customer and she says that when I
> call her from my BellSouth landline, it frequently shows up as no
> number on her CID. I do not have CID blocking service activated, nor
> have I ever called her using per call CID blocking. The problem is,
> she gets a lot of these calls with no CID, and she immediately assumes
> it was me who called and then she calls me to see if I called her.
> It's really starting to piss me off. I've let her know I'm upset
> about it, but she claims I'm the only one who she has this problem
> with. Like hell, because she keeps calling me when I haven't tried to
> call her, so I'd lay money on it being a Cingular problem. I never
> have a problem with my VZW phones showing CID info. I kind of wish
> she had never left VZW, due to this issue alone.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? If so, did you have
> any success getting Cingular to admit it, or heaven forfend, actually
> fix it?
>
> TIA!

Tell her that if you call, you will always leave a message to voicemail,
and AFTER listening to voicemail, she may then call you back.

TH
!