Huge graphics problem

Jtones

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
If this post is too long, just look at the last few sentences. :)

I used to have some problems with "artifacts" when I was playing a game for an hour or so. But they disappeared when I stopped playing and rebooted my pc.

Yesterday, I was just browsing the internet and suddenly a wild artifact appeared! (sorry). I thought it was just a minor problem, so I rebooted my pc and saw that it showed artifacts here too, at the starting screen. ****** up! So I went downstairs and took another graphics card and stuck it in my pc. It worked fine. I even played some games with it.

My dad called me and said that it could be because there was so much dust in it. He cleaned it and handed it to me so I could try. It didn't work.

But now the most fucked up part: I put the spare card back in, and he also shows artifacts!

My question(s): Is it really the graphics cards or another problem?

The first one broke down, and the second card also broke down. Maybe it's my motherboard? Or my power unit?

Lots of love for the one that solves my problem! It's ****** up that I ordered another graphics card already, thinking that was the problem, but I'm scared to put it in now when it arrives.

Thanks in advance!

By the way: The first card was a 8800GT (which needed direct power from the PSU). The second one a 7600GT (which did NOT need direct power input from the PSU). So it's probably not a power issue? (Since on another forum someone said it could be a power issue)

Generally speaking, if the 8800GT is always causing artifacts (even during boot up?) it's probably failing. If the 7600GT does not show any artifacts, ever, that would also support the fact that the 8800GT is having problems.

It would be nice to know what your PSU specs are just in case it's losing power output and causing problems. But my bet would be on the GPU so far from what I'm seeing.

What video card did you order as a replacement?

Jtones

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
The rest is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
2x2 GB RAM GSKILL
NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT
ASUS P5K mobo
Antec power supply 500W

The 8800GT is showing artifacts (even during boot up).
The 7600GT is now also showing artifacts (even during boot up). But NOT in safe mode.

When I put the cards in another pc they also show artifacts so they are definitely broken.

I ordered a HD5700.

Very strange. So now BOTH cards are showing artifacts? And they BOTH show artifacts when installed in a different PC?

Do you happen to have another Power Supply you can try with the new GPU? It's too strange that both cards now cause problems.

Jtones

Distinguished
May 15, 2010

Yes, both cards are now showing artifacts. And both of them show artifacts in a different PC.

Nope, I don't have another power supply.

The strangest thing is that I just booted up my PC, and it doesn't show artifacts anymore.

Thanks for the help up until now anyways, I'll try some stuff tomorrow.

4745454b

Titan
My only idea is that both are/were dead/dying. Neither card is that new, and if they were dusty that will shorten their life. You might want to grab a voltmeter and make sure your 12V rail isn't outputting 14V. If a new card does the same thing then there is something wrong.

Jtones

Distinguished
May 15, 2010

That seems probable, they were very old. I just think it's kind of a coincidence that the second card died 24 hours after the other one.