If DVI-I also transmit analog, why can't i connect it to my analog tv?

AriG

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I've been told that i can't,can't, can't connect a DVI graphic card to my analog tv that has RCA\S-VIDEO inputs. can't be done, you must have a converter box, they say, otherwise how can a simple cable convert a digital signal to an analog one?
However, isn't a DVI-I output (which is what my graphic card has) also transmit analog signals? doesn't that mean that with the right configuration, i CAN, somehow, connect it to an S-VIDEO with successful results?
awaiting response.

LOL

Okay, now that that is out of the way...

If you want to use a bunch of cable adapters or a converter box you can do it.

Get a DVI to VGA adapter, then a VGA to S-Video adapter and you can technically make them connect.

DVI to VGA Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B000067SOH

VGA to S-Video/RCA Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/VGA-Adapter-S-Video-Cable-Video/dp/B000Y7T5UU

If you end up having graphic issues don't complain to anyone. :) You'll lose signal fidelity, and your PC may have problems identifying the proper resolution to run at. So make sure you don't set your resolution too high.

Any analog TV with RCA connections as the basic setup will more than likely MAX out at 480i format. Of course, the RCA/S-Video cables won't transmit a higher resolution anyhow.

Give it a shot and see what happens. Afterwards, buy a new LCD Monitor that has a modern video connection (DVI). :)

AriG

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
lol, thanx.I only use the tv as a secondary monitor for watching videos, so I really have no issue with max 480i. if anything, I prefer watching it through an older tv, all the video defects and pixelations don't show up in these lower resolutions.

If that's the case, it would be a fairly cheap thing to give a shot. I'm very glad to hear you don't want to use the TV as a normal monitor though! LOL That would be a horrible resolution to do anything at, let alone game.