Sign in with
Your question

Hd 5870 interesting question.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2010 4:55:15 PM

Hello,
this is a strange question but i am wondering if it will work.. I got a core2duo processor at 3.5 ghz 4gb ram, 450 watt powersupply. I know my current powesupply will not support the hd 5870 graphics card but if i add another powersupply and use the 2x 4pin to 6 pin adopter to power hd 5850. WIll this work.

Confused?

powersupply 1 powers all computer as it dont have enough 4 extra 4 pin power connects to get 2x 6pin powerconnecters out i will use another powersupply together with the same pc.
but this powersupply 2 will be 500 watts with 4x 4pins and i will i use them 4x 4pinn to get 2x 6 pin to powers the hd5870.

connecter i am talking about is this 1:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6pin-Power-Lead-Cable-Asus-ATI-Ra...

will this work fine or just fry my card??
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 5:49:57 PM

Why use two PSUs? Why not just purchase a single, capable PSU and do it the proper and safe way?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 15, 2010 6:35:34 PM

jerreece said:
Why use two PSUs? Why not just purchase a single, capable PSU and do it the proper and safe way?

saturday today, shops open on monday.... cant wait to use my card:p  though my powersupply could run it............................................... BIG FAIL
May 15, 2010 6:36:06 PM

alextheawesome said:
Yes it can be done, but you have to somehow short circuit two pins on the motherboard power cable IIRC.

EDIT: AHA! I found it. You would have to buy this and connect the second plug into the motherboard power cable to start the second PSU. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian-Li_...

wot i mean is i dont plug the second powersupply in the motherboard but use 4 of the 4 pins connecter to get 2 x 6 pin (using the adopter which takes 2x 4 pins and turn them 1x 6pin for pci card) for the hd 5870.

And leave ALL THE REST OF THE WIRES UNPLUGED/away from the motherboard.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 7:41:52 PM

helloshayan said:
wot i mean is i dont plug the second powersupply in the motherboard but use 4 of the 4 pins connecter to get 2 x 6 pin (using the adopter which takes 2x 4 pins and turn them 1x 6pin for pci card) for the hd 5870.

And leave ALL THE REST OF THE WIRES UNPLUGED/away from the motherboard.

Because... How would the power supply turn on? It uses a signal from the motherboard when the power button on the case is pressed.
May 19, 2010 3:33:50 PM

jryan388 said:
Because... How would the power supply turn on? It uses a signal from the motherboard when the power button on the case is pressed.

thank you so much , i am soo stupid i dont think of this lol
!