Radeon 5870 Coil Whine question?

rpaulg87

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
My first 5870, Gigabyte 1gb one, had coil whine, (also crashed a lot) my new Sapphire 2gb Vapor-X 5870, has a even louder coil whine (no crashes though)

What I find odd, is it only seems to do it in loading menus of games or when starting a game...it is VERY loud when it does it too, you can easily hear it 5-10+ feet away from the computer, as long as it's only going to do it when it's loading..that's fine..I'm just curious as to if some games are going to make it do it the WHOLE time which would be unbearable, it's literally louder than the fan at 100%

Any reason as to why these 5870's have this loud whine? I've tried two different makers, completely differently designed board, and I get the same whine (though this time louder)

Is there a fix to it, or should I just deal with it? Also, I heard a fix was vsync, however it does not fix this for me, thanks in advance!

This problem is more common than people think. Those that are young like my self and women with good hearing can hear into high frequencies than older individuals but degrades as one ages. So coil squeal takes place when a coil charges and discharges at the same time building up heat. Cooling them is the best solution and will help extend the life of the coil. When they expand and contract it wears away at the insulation which can cause a short later on weakening or killing the coil.

Some quick pics of some simple fixes, even a little can reduce the problem.

pict0062w.jpg

rpaulg87

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
What your showing me is chokes...at least that's what it looks like, those aren't whats making the noise on mine I don't believe...mine it's the little round things that have copper wire on them.

I've heard of the nail polish trick, but is it really worth voiding a 509$ cards warranty?

Yea there is also a trick using silicone but my mods are always reversible so if I ever needed to RMA I could just clean up.