Dual boot with Linux

Hi there,

I have a PC with 2 hard disks, one with Windows XP SP2 (Primary) and another
with Linux "Caixa Mágica 8.1" - Portuguese Version - (Slave).
When I installed Linux I disconnect the disk with Windows because I don't
wanted that Linux change the primary disk.

I would like to change my Windows boot.ini to start the Linux.

My boot.ini is:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

How can I do that?

Thanks!

Jorge Silva (Dr.)
4 answers Last reply
More about dual boot linux

    Is there a reason you'd like to use the windows boot system to boot linux?
    Most linux installs can install grub or lilo on your MBR and allow you to
    easily boot both windows and linux. I'd suggest looking in that direction
    for an easier solution.

    Dennis Tighe

    "Jorge Silva (Dr.)" <JorgeSilvaDr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:2BD20227-DCD7-4B53-BD10-46E0038E39FC@microsoft.com...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a PC with 2 hard disks, one with Windows XP SP2 (Primary) and
    > another
    > with Linux "Caixa Mágica 8.1" - Portuguese Version - (Slave).
    > When I installed Linux I disconnect the disk with Windows because I don't
    > wanted that Linux change the primary disk.
    >
    > I would like to change my Windows boot.ini to start the Linux.
    >
    > My boot.ini is:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    >

    > How can I do that?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jorge Silva (Dr.)

    Not possible with Native Windows bootloader - you either need to let grub or
    lilo boot giving you a choice to boot Linux or Windows -OR- purchase (unless
    you find a good freeware) a 3rd party bootloader and configure to boot
    Windows or Linux.
    Note: In case you didn't realize, MS is dead set against Linux - it their
    competition and they are not going to make it easy for you to do anything
    Linux with an MS OS - except map network SAMBA/NFS shares.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    Dennis Tighe wrote:
    > Is there a reason you'd like to use the windows boot system to boot linux?
    > Most linux installs can install grub or lilo on your MBR and allow you to
    > easily boot both windows and linux. I'd suggest looking in that direction
    > for an easier solution.
    >
    > Dennis Tighe
    >

    > "Jorge Silva (Dr.)" <JorgeSilvaDr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:2BD20227-DCD7-4B53-BD10-46E0038E39FC@microsoft.com...
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>I have a PC with 2 hard disks, one with Windows XP SP2 (Primary) and
    >>another
    >>with Linux "Caixa Mágica 8.1" - Portuguese Version - (Slave).
    >>When I installed Linux I disconnect the disk with Windows because I don't
    >>wanted that Linux change the primary disk.
    >>
    >>I would like to change my Windows boot.ini to start the Linux.
    >>
    >>My boot.ini is:
    >>
    >>[boot loader]
    >>timeout=30
    >>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >>[operating systems]
    >>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    >>Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    >>

    >>How can I do that?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Jorge Silva (Dr.)

    google for "linux boot.ini" without the quotes

    It's fairly straightforward if you know a little bit about linux booting
    and NT booting

    OR

    You coukd you a 3rd party boot manager like BootMagic.

    /dan

    Pretty straight forward huh? I am very familiar with how to make Linux boot
    with NT boot loader, but unless you dot your i's and cross all your t's with
    a little praying/cursing in between, it ain't gonna work and the "novice"
    normally ends up corrupting the MBR, making both OS's unbootable.
    Don't come back with the simple adding of C:\linux.bin to the boot.ini as a
    solution either, there's a lot more to it than that - here is one of the
    more simpler/easy to understand instructional pages:
    http://www.tprthai.net/bootmgr.htm
    Hmm a total of 29 steps (to make it easy/less complicated), some of which
    are done in Windows, some in Linux, some from the command line.
    It is just a lot quicker when installing linux to have GRUB or LILO
    configure itself to boot windows and linux - takes all the grunt work out of
    it, and it is done correctly, even for the novice. If they tire of linux,
    booting with the WinXP CD to the recovery console with 2 simple commands to
    eliminate GRUB/LILO and create a valid boot.ini:
    FIXMBR - replaces the MBR (whatever is there, GRUB, LILO, DOS, etc) with the
    NTBOOTLOAD code and
    FIXBOOT - will create a boot.ini with only valid Windows OS system paths.

    --

    "Daniel Ganek" <ganek@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Dennis Tighe wrote:
    > > Is there a reason you'd like to use the windows boot system to boot
    linux?
    > > Most linux installs can install grub or lilo on your MBR and allow you
    > > easily boot both windows and linux. I'd suggest looking in that
    direction
    > > for an easier solution.
    > >
    > > Dennis Tighe
    > >

    > > "Jorge Silva (Dr.)" <JorgeSilvaDr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message news:2BD20227-DCD7-4B53-BD10-46E0038E39FC@microsoft.com...
    > >
    > >>Hi there,
    > >>
    > >>I have a PC with 2 hard disks, one with Windows XP SP2 (Primary) and
    > >>another
    > >>with Linux "Caixa Mágica 8.1" - Portuguese Version - (Slave).
    > >>When I installed Linux I disconnect the disk with Windows because I
    don't
    > >>wanted that Linux change the primary disk.
    > >>
    > >>I would like to change my Windows boot.ini to start the Linux.
    > >>
    > >>My boot.ini is:
    > >>
    > >>[boot loader]
    > >>timeout=30
    > >>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > >>[operating systems]
    > >>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > >>Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    > >>

    > >>How can I do that?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks!
    > >>
    > >>Jorge Silva (Dr.)
    > >

    > google for "linux boot.ini" without the quotes
    >
    > It's fairly straightforward if you know a little bit about linux booting
    > and NT booting
    >
    > OR
    >
    > You coukd you a 3rd party boot manager like BootMagic.
    >

    > /dan

Configuration Linux Dual Boot Microsoft Windows XP