  • Dual Boot
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
February 28, 2005 11:03:01 AM

Hi there,

I have a PC with 2 hard disks, one with Windows XP SP2 (Primary) and another
with Linux "Caixa Mágica 8.1" - Portuguese Version - (Slave).
When I installed Linux I disconnect the disk with Windows because I don't
wanted that Linux change the primary disk.

I would like to change my Windows boot.ini to start the Linux.

My boot.ini is:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

How can I do that?

Thanks!

Jorge Silva (Dr.)

More about : dual boot linux

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:04:15 PM

Is there a reason you'd like to use the windows boot system to boot linux?
Most linux installs can install grub or lilo on your MBR and allow you to
easily boot both windows and linux. I'd suggest looking in that direction
for an easier solution.

Dennis Tighe

"Jorge Silva (Dr.)" <JorgeSilvaDr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2BD20227-DCD7-4B53-BD10-46E0038E39FC@microsoft.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I have a PC with 2 hard disks, one with Windows XP SP2 (Primary) and
> another
> with Linux "Caixa Mágica 8.1" - Portuguese Version - (Slave).
> When I installed Linux I disconnect the disk with Windows because I don't
> wanted that Linux change the primary disk.
>
> I would like to change my Windows boot.ini to start the Linux.
>
> My boot.ini is:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>

> How can I do that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jorge Silva (Dr.)
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 10:32:59 PM

Not possible with Native Windows bootloader - you either need to let grub or
lilo boot giving you a choice to boot Linux or Windows -OR- purchase (unless
you find a good freeware) a 3rd party bootloader and configure to boot
Windows or Linux.
Note: In case you didn't realize, MS is dead set against Linux - it their
competition and they are not going to make it easy for you to do anything
Linux with an MS OS - except map network SAMBA/NFS shares.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"Jorge Silva (Dr.)" <JorgeSilvaDr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2BD20227-DCD7-4B53-BD10-46E0038E39FC@microsoft.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I have a PC with 2 hard disks, one with Windows XP SP2 (Primary) and
another
> with Linux "Caixa Mágica 8.1" - Portuguese Version - (Slave).
> When I installed Linux I disconnect the disk with Windows because I don't
> wanted that Linux change the primary disk.
>
> I would like to change my Windows boot.ini to start the Linux.
>
> My boot.ini is:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>

> How can I do that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jorge Silva (Dr.)
March 2, 2005 6:08:16 PM

Dennis Tighe wrote:
> Is there a reason you'd like to use the windows boot system to boot linux?
> Most linux installs can install grub or lilo on your MBR and allow you to
> easily boot both windows and linux. I'd suggest looking in that direction
> for an easier solution.
>
> Dennis Tighe
>

> "Jorge Silva (Dr.)" <JorgeSilvaDr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:2BD20227-DCD7-4B53-BD10-46E0038E39FC@microsoft.com...
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I have a PC with 2 hard disks, one with Windows XP SP2 (Primary) and
>>another
>>with Linux "Caixa Mágica 8.1" - Portuguese Version - (Slave).
>>When I installed Linux I disconnect the disk with Windows because I don't
>>wanted that Linux change the primary disk.
>>
>>I would like to change my Windows boot.ini to start the Linux.
>>
>>My boot.ini is:
>>
>>[boot loader]
>>timeout=30
>>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>>[operating systems]
>>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>>Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>>

>>How can I do that?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Jorge Silva (Dr.)

google for "linux boot.ini" without the quotes

It's fairly straightforward if you know a little bit about linux booting
and NT booting

OR

You coukd you a 3rd party boot manager like BootMagic.

/dan
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:19:47 AM

Pretty straight forward huh? I am very familiar with how to make Linux boot
with NT boot loader, but unless you dot your i's and cross all your t's with
a little praying/cursing in between, it ain't gonna work and the "novice"
normally ends up corrupting the MBR, making both OS's unbootable.
Don't come back with the simple adding of C:\linux.bin to the boot.ini as a
solution either, there's a lot more to it than that - here is one of the
more simpler/easy to understand instructional pages:
http://www.tprthai.net/bootmgr.htm
Hmm a total of 29 steps (to make it easy/less complicated), some of which
are done in Windows, some in Linux, some from the command line.
It is just a lot quicker when installing linux to have GRUB or LILO
configure itself to boot windows and linux - takes all the grunt work out of
it, and it is done correctly, even for the novice. If they tire of linux,
booting with the WinXP CD to the recovery console with 2 simple commands to
eliminate GRUB/LILO and create a valid boot.ini:
FIXMBR - replaces the MBR (whatever is there, GRUB, LILO, DOS, etc) with the
NTBOOTLOAD code and
FIXBOOT - will create a boot.ini with only valid Windows OS system paths.

--

news:D 056fg$e40$1@pcls4.std.com...

!