Video editing CS6

ssamps

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Can anyone tell me the best way to format and configure my drives for a Adobe Premiere Pro editing workstation. AMD 8150 processor. I'll have an Intel solid state OS Drive and 3 Western digital 2TB Black drives, also DVD burner drive. I'll put 2 of the drives in a Raid 0 and the third as a scratch disc drive. I'm not understanding what file types I would send to the scratch drive. I think I would use scratch drive also to backup my OS and apps, but which Premiere files I'm confused about. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ssamps

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for the feedback, but I'm still a bit uncertain about the scratch drive. Eventually I'll probably get an external drive for backing up projects, but initially I'll run without it. So, would I partition that scratch drive into 3 sections...(1)OS and Apps/ (2)Projects/(3)preview files for audio and video? And am I missing any other file types I would route to that preview partition? And thanks for the book idea, I'll get it. I do better with books.

dingo07

Distinguished

You already outlined how to setup your drives in your OP...

Drive 1 - SSD - OS including CS6 (perhaps other progs and games that will fit) - it is one partition

Drive 2 - HDD - Drive 0 for a RAID 0 Array
Drive 3 - HDD - Drive 1 for a RAID 0 Array
ARRAY 1 - Project files will be stored here

Drive 4 - HDD - this will be your "scratch" disk that you can put anything you want on it - it is one partition

----
You can also use the ARRAY to store files, no harm in it

ssamps

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I'm assuming Drive 4 would be considered ARRAY 1. I just thought it might be a wise way to configure that 4th Drive, to partition it separating the back-up OS and Apps section of that drive from preview files/project files etc... It wouldn't hurt doing it that way would it?...Please bear with me as this is a first build and I've never configured this type of set-up. Thanks again.

Why not go for a different Raid configure like 0+1 or 5 or something and get some data safety on those drives. I wouldn't trust any consumer drive for massive video beating without a realtime backup or something. In a Raid 0 situation, 1 drive fails and you loose everything.

dingo07

Distinguished

There is no back up OS and apps - if your boot drive goes bad, all you have to recover from is an image, if you've created one - you can't copy files and expect it to be a "back up", it doesn't work that way. On top of that, you always have to re-install programs after a fresh install of windows.

So, unless you have another SSD that's exactly the same size (that you set up a RAID 1 with), you can't have a failsafe other than an image file that you would create with a program like this... http://us.norton.com/ghost