Sign in with
Your question

5870 or GTX 480?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2010 6:18:17 PM

Just figured I'd ask this and get everyone's opinion before my "return" period is up.

Currently I am running a Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 2GB, which costed me 509$ @ Newegg.com

For that price, I knew that I could get a GTX 480, but was worried about the heat and fan noise (fan noise can REALLY get to me)

Did I make the right decision, or is the 480's fan noise fine to deal with, and the extra performance worth it? Same price...so please speak your peace.

More about : 5870 gtx 480

a c 130 U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 6:58:23 PM

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire__hd587...

The Sapphire 5870 competes with the GTX480 decently, especially if you get it to 980/1290 core/mem.
Quote:
The Vapor-X cooling solution is a proven technology that Sapphire has used as a point of difference for their Vapor-X and factory overclocked models. This cooling solution works. When leaving the fan speed on auto with the card at stock settings, the fan profile kept the card at a cool 69° C under load with the fan speed at only 47%. When you push the fan speed slider up to 100% while overclocking, you get a 16° drop from the stock 69° C down to 53° C. The only problem with the 100% fan speed setting is that the fan does get a bit loud at this level. Around the 75% range you get a great mix of cooling and low noise.

with the 480 you would definitely hear some noise, but you wouldn't get too much of a performance increase at all.
m
l
May 15, 2010 7:50:12 PM

shadow187 said:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire__hd587...

The Sapphire 5870 competes with the GTX480 decently, especially if you get it to 980/1290 core/mem.
Quote:
The Vapor-X cooling solution is a proven technology that Sapphire has used as a point of difference for their Vapor-X and factory overclocked models. This cooling solution works. When leaving the fan speed on auto with the card at stock settings, the fan profile kept the card at a cool 69° C under load with the fan speed at only 47%. When you push the fan speed slider up to 100% while overclocking, you get a 16° drop from the stock 69° C down to 53° C. The only problem with the 100% fan speed setting is that the fan does get a bit loud at this level. Around the 75% range you get a great mix of cooling and low noise.

with the 480 you would definitely hear some noise, but you wouldn't get too much of a performance increase at all.

Hm..the benchmarks I was looking at seemed that generally the 480 had 15-30fps more than the 5870 on AVP, Far Cry, L4D, BC2, etc, that's why I'm just making sure that I'm getting the best bang for my buck, so good to know, I thought the 480 was around 20% better..
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2010 7:58:28 PM

Just figured I'd ask this and get everyone's opinion before my "return" period is up.

Currently I am running a Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 2GB, which costed me 509$ @ Newegg.com

For that price, I knew that I could get a GTX 480, but was worried about the heat and fan noise (fan noise can REALLY get to me)

Did I make the right decision, or is the 480's fan noise fine to deal with, and the extra performance worth it? Same price...so please speak your peace.
m
l
May 15, 2010 7:58:49 PM

Can a admin delete this? I'd rather this be in the main graphics card section so I get Nvidia\ATI fans both speaking :p 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 8:19:40 PM

Apparently the fan noise of GTX 480 is quite annoying, like a whirring sound. This is probably only at higher temperatures, to keep the GPU cool. The GTX 480 is on average 20% faster, I'd pay for the quietness/Vapor-X cooler.
m
l
May 15, 2010 8:26:56 PM

Actually, the GTX 480 draws more power and gets way hotter than the 5870 but taking into consideration of overclocking the 480 gets twice the performance of a 5870. But this is a 5870 that is not overclocked and can easily be clocked higher and probably outperform the 480. Although with 2GB of DDR5 I think the 5870 was the way to go here... the small amount of performance isn't worth going through the trouble for, they both are compaired close together. Hope that helps!
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 8:35:45 PM

You can see it either way, don't worry rpaul.

The time when you get more frames from the 480 vs 5870 in this situation is when you're already at 80FPS or above, in which framecount is unnecessary. At 1920x1080 resolutions and above with more demanding games, the sapphire will tie, be very close, or win. Did you click on the link I provided?

Like I said, if you can OC the Toxic, you'll get performance just about a GTX480, whilst remaining cooler and quieter. A GTX480 will run louder than the Toxic by far, and only offer a minimal increase.

*To anyone
I stress noise because OP had a specific mention of it. Don't bash me for bashing it.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 8:59:46 PM

shadow187 said:

*To anyone
I stress noise because OP had a specific mention of it. Don't bash me for bashing it.

Thankfully I read the OP's post, so I won't be bashing anyone. ;) 

The GTX 480 from all the benchmarks I've seen is generally faster than the ATi 5870. Let's also keep in mind, the GTX 480 is operating with 1st generation drivers. So I'd imagine there's some room to grow as they mature. The noise and heat issue however, is going to be there until aftermarket coolers start appearing on the GTX 480.

As for the ATI 5870, it's definitely no slouch. Performance wise it's a great card. The Sapphire Vapor-X card you purchased has not only a better cooler on it, but is a 2GB card (where as 1GB is normal). So you spent more on it. Me, I'm cheap so I'd have bought this:

Gigabyte ATI 5870 1GB @ $399
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

At high resolutions (if you're higher than 1920x1080) is where the performance differences can often diminish from what I've seen.

Personally though, if I was spending $509 I'd go for the gusto and get the absolute fastest. The GTX 480 would have been my pick personally at that price point. But that point can certainly be contested as you start figuring OC'ing on the 5870, and the 2GB memory advantage. *Shrugs* Still, I'm not one to rely on "it's as fast if you OC it". I don't like OC'ing video cards as I've never had very good luck getting cards that OC well.
m
l
May 15, 2010 9:14:20 PM

jerreece said:
Thankfully I read the OP's post, so I won't be bashing anyone. ;) 

The GTX 480 from all the benchmarks I've seen is generally faster than the ATi 5870. Let's also keep in mind, the GTX 480 is operating with 1st generation drivers. So I'd imagine there's some room to grow as they mature. The noise and heat issue however, is going to be there until aftermarket coolers start appearing on the GTX 480.

As for the ATI 5870, it's definitely no slouch. Performance wise it's a great card. The Sapphire Vapor-X card you purchased has not only a better cooler on it, but is a 2GB card (where as 1GB is normal). So you spent more on it. Me, I'm cheap so I'd have bought this:

Gigabyte ATI 5870 1GB @ $399
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

At high resolutions (if you're higher than 1920x1080) is where the performance differences can often diminish from what I've seen.

Personally though, if I was spending $509 I'd go for the gusto and get the absolute fastest. The GTX 480 would have been my pick personally at that price point. But that point can certainly be contested as you start figuring OC'ing on the 5870, and the 2GB memory advantage. *Shrugs* Still, I'm not one to rely on "it's as fast if you OC it". I don't like OC'ing video cards as I've never had very good luck getting cards that OC well.

Ironically that was the first 5870 that I had, and it crashed on me in every game. Now I have the Sapphire one, and voila...it's starting to grey line crash too....I think I may be done with ATI, getitng tired of swapping out 400-500$ friggin' video cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 10:07:41 PM

Quote:
Actually, the GTX 480 draws more power and gets way hotter than the 5870 but taking into consideration of overclocking the 480 gets twice the performance of a 5870. But this is a 5870 that is not overclocked and can easily be clocked higher and probably outperform the 480. Although with 2GB of DDR5 I think the 5870 was the way to go here... the small amount of performance isn't worth going through the trouble for, they both are compaired close together. Hope that helps!

I very much doubt that the GTX 480 is twice as fast as the HD 5870. The HD 5970, pretty much two HD 5870s at HD 5850 speeds beats the GTX 480 more often than not.

m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 11:15:18 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • So, 5870 or GTX 480?
    m
    l
    May 15, 2010 11:29:29 PM

Id grab the 480 if I were you. The noise is not bad at all. I know a lot of the 480 guys just make simple custom fan profiles to keep the fan up a bit earlier to cool off the card. I've never ocne heard my 470, and thats after hours of lots of gaming.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 16, 2010 1:06:18 AM

I don't believe in people test driving expensive electronics , its costs us all in the end.
    You picked the card you have for a reason ?
    m
    l
    May 16, 2010 2:45:00 AM

notty22 said:
    I don't believe in people test driving expensive electronics , its costs us all in the end.
    You picked the card you have for a reason ?

I picked it because I'm a fan of ATI and loved the 4870. However, when you get two cards that crash like crazy, you start to think about the competition and maybe buying their product instead. When your given a product that has to have massive "consumer testing" to find out crap like this, you'll bound to have "people test driving expensive electronics"
    m
    l
    May 16, 2010 3:36:39 AM

You made the correct and best choice in getting the 5870 ! the 480 gives only slightly better #s and with heat and power it uses ...480 gonna fail quikly! Vapor X is sweet !
    m
    l
    May 16, 2010 7:00:46 AM

Since I actually owned the Sapphire HD 5870 (vapor-x 1gb) and now have the EVGA GTX 480 I can chime in on a couple things. I had store credit at a local electronics store so I jumped at the opportunity to grab a 480.

1) The fan noise with the GTX 480 is not as bad as people make it out to be. When idle, it is EXACTLY the same as my 5870 was; I can hear my coolermaster V8 over the GPU fan. When gaming, yes the GTX 480 fan is audible but it is far from disturbing. If you put the fan at 85% or higher it gets noisier than the 5870 did, but it doesn't bother me. There is no odd whirring sound, at least with my card.

2) Heat. Again not an issue for me. My case has a large side intake fan right next to the GPU. Also depending on the brand of GTX 480 you go with, you can manually control the fan to operate at a higher speed. And my GTX 480 has a lifetime warranty, so if it dies not an issue it will be replaced, be smart about which manufacturer you buy from.

3) Energy consumption. Honestly those who are worried about saving some change on the monthly energy bill, buying a high-end graphics card should not be among your priorities, but to each his own.

Both the HD 5870 and GTX 480 are beasts. I did have the gray screen issue with the first 5870 I bought, second one was fine. Overall I am liking my GTX 480 experience and am happy with my decision. Have fun with whatever you decide rpaulg87.
    m
    l
    May 17, 2010 5:47:55 PM

So...is there anyway to unlock my Vapor-X 5870 so I can overclock it past 900mhz?
    m
    l
    a c 130 U Graphics card
    May 17, 2010 8:12:24 PM

You could flash the BIOS, but it's a tricky process and a large gamble. Though I suppose that you could bake the card afterwords, saying that it overheated.
    m
    l
    May 18, 2010 7:29:01 AM

very simple 5870 is way better than 480
    480 cools beyond 90 c and that heat u can feel 1 foot away from your case
    m
    l
    May 19, 2010 6:20:09 PM

Ugh, I found a easy way past the CCC 900mhz limit on core, MSI Afterburner then change settings to unoffical oc = 1, HOWEVER. This disables any down throttleing\power saving and makes the card run at 100% constantly... on a good note my card runs fine at 950\1000, but I'm not going to bother with it at that since it'll always eat up so much juice.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 19, 2010 7:33:41 PM

alikhanindia said:
    very simple 5870 is way better than 480
    480 cools beyond 90 c and that heat u can feel 1 foot away from your case

That is complete B.S.

If you turned the fan to 100% you might feel warm air blowing on you from a foot away, but the GPU won't make any noticeable heat output at those temps, my dual 8800 GTS 512mbs at ~80c and a i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.4v don't make a noticeable difference in temperature and I've worked in my computer at the same time. All I feel is the cool air from the fans.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 19, 2010 7:54:35 PM

I'll give the OP facts, and not opinions and bias.

Here is a review of the GTX 470 and 480 with the new drivers:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gigabyte...

The GTX 480 is 20-30% faster in that review. It also has another ~20% performance lead when heavy tessellation is used in future titles. The GTX 480 overclocks as well if not better than the 5870, with many GTX 480s hitting 900MHz with voltage increase, and gains a lot more per clock. All this for a 25% price increase over the cheapest 5870.

The GTX 480 also consumes about 90w more power, which translates to about an extra $20-$40 a year depending on what you pay per kw/h. IT also runs hot. How hot? Well a bit hotter than a 5870, but not much hotter than an 8 series nVidia or 4 series ATI. The fan will need to be set pretty high to facilitate overclocking, like any card, but the fan isn't as loud as everyone makes it out to be. It slightly louder than the 5870's fan, but is reported by many to be a lower hum making it no worse to the ear, according to some sources.

I suggest that you look up the sound difference on youtube, make sure that the card is in a close case like it would be in a real world setting. Worse comes to worse, you can always buy $20 worth of sound dampening material and pad your case to offset it a bit.

You need to take this information and make your own opinions, don't listen to those above me who just want to post their opinions as facts.
    m
    l
    May 19, 2010 8:11:39 PM

AMW1011 said:
    I'll give the OP facts, and not opinions and bias.

Here is a review of the GTX 470 and 480 with the new drivers:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gigabyte...

The GTX 480 is 20-30% faster in that review. It also has another ~20% performance lead when heavy tessellation is used in future titles. The GTX 480 overclocks as well if not better than the 5870, with many GTX 480s hitting 900MHz with voltage increase, and gains a lot more per clock. All this for a 25% price increase over the cheapest 5870.

The GTX 480 also consumes about 90w more power, which translates to about an extra $20-$40 a year depending on what you pay per kw/h. IT also runs hot. How hot? Well a bit hotter than a 5870, but not much hotter than an 8 series nVidia or 4 series ATI. The fan will need to be set pretty high to facilitate overclocking, like any card, but the fan isn't as loud as everyone makes it out to be. It slightly louder than the 5870's fan, but is reported by many to be a lower hum making it no worse to the ear, according to some sources.

I suggest that you look up the sound difference on youtube, make sure that the card is in a close case like it would be in a real world setting. Worse comes to worse, you can always buy $20 worth of sound dampening material and pad your case to offset it a bit.

You need to take this information and make your own opinions, don't listen to those above me who just want to post their opinions as facts.

Realistically...is that true? 20-30%? If so, why in the heck would these 5870's be selling for 500$ and up now and SELLING out if the GTX 480 which is only 500$ offers 20-30% better over-all performance? O.o if that IS true then I'll return my 5870 2gb in a heart-beat, but most of these seem to be done against a 1gb 5870 which @ 1920x1200+ seems to fall behind because of the higher memory bandwidth of the 480, so I figured having an additional 1gb of memory would help curb that achilles heel.

I seem to be locked at a max of 900mhz core...so I can't hit the 950\1000 that puts me right up against the 480....what do you think is a better option?

Also, is the fan as loud as the STOCK reference cooler on the 4870\5870? If so, there's no way I'm getting a 480, that was WAY to loud sounded like a jet when in game -.-. Also that article seems a like...weird they do the benchmarks very strange...not even sure how that's accurate, and they fail numerous times to even say the correct card names..I.E. the GTX 470 is now called the GTX 479 etc, I dunno but spelling on professional reviews like that can bother me lol
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 19, 2010 8:50:28 PM

rpaulg87 said:
    Realistically...is that true? 20-30%? If so, why in the heck would these 5870's be selling for 500$ and up now and SELLING out if the GTX 480 which is only 500$ offers 20-30% better over-all performance? O.o if that IS true then I'll return my 5870 2gb in a heart-beat, but most of these seem to be done against a 1gb 5870 which @ 1920x1200+ seems to fall behind because of the higher memory bandwidth of the 480, so I figured having an additional 1gb of memory would help curb that achilles heel.

I seem to be locked at a max of 900mhz core...so I can't hit the 950\1000 that puts me right up against the 480....what do you think is a better option?

Also, is the fan as loud as the STOCK reference cooler on the 4870\5870? If so, there's no way I'm getting a 480, that was WAY to loud sounded like a jet when in game -.-. Also that article seems a like...weird they do the benchmarks very strange...not even sure how that's accurate, and they fail numerous times to even say the correct card names..I.E. the GTX 470 is now called the GTX 479 etc, I dunno but spelling on professional reviews like that can bother me lol

A 5870 2GB clocked at 900 MHz:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_5870_Matrix/...

The 2GB at 900 MHz version is 2% faster than the 1GB, and the GTX 480 is 11% faster than the 2GB at 900 MHz. This article also uses the 195.61 drivers, not the new 197.41 drivers in the other article I posted, so expect a 5-10% increase in performance. I'll let you draw your own conclusion from that.

As for the fan noise. The 5870 reference is very high pitched like most ATI cards of late, while the GTX 480 is suppose to be much more of a low hum. Look up comparisons youtube as I said.
    m
    l
    May 20, 2010 1:46:16 AM

So do you have a GTX 480? Can you comment on the noise say a quiet room? I never caught if you had one or not, so I thought I'd ask thanks!

Btw I have a Thermaltake Armor+ so when the vented side panel and the way it's designed, it seems to be quiet until the side is put on, then it hums through the center and out the front of the computer...so the last 4870 was very...."loud" and the way I view it, small fan = fast rpm = loud as hell, I dunno if the new delta fans fixed it..but delta is generally loud, so I was worried :p 

I should point out that at even 70% the 93mm Vapor-X fan is annoying...I have VERY low noise 140mm Yateloons and Xigmateks even at 40-50% the Vapor-X fan which just by size\fluid bearing is going to be way quieter starts to get my attention...the flaws of being hyper sensitive to sound :D 
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 20, 2010 2:19:31 AM

rpaulg87 said:
    So do you have a GTX 480? Can you comment on the noise say a quiet room? I never caught if you had one or not, so I thought I'd ask thanks!

Btw I have a Thermaltake Armor+ so when the vented side panel and the way it's designed, it seems to be quiet until the side is put on, then it hums through the center and out the front of the computer...so the last 4870 was very...."loud" and the way I view it, small fan = fast rpm = loud as hell, I dunno if the new delta fans fixed it..but delta is generally loud, so I was worried :p 

I should point out that at even 70% the 93mm Vapor-X fan is annoying...I have VERY low noise 140mm Yateloons and Xigmateks even at 40-50% the Vapor-X fan which just by size\fluid bearing is going to be way quieter starts to get my attention...the flaws of being hyper sensitive to sound :D 

No, I own 2 8800 GTS 512mb.

Your problem is your case, not the cards. The vibrations from the high RPM fans are shaking loose parts in your case. You need to get out a screw driver and tighten all screws. Then go and buy some rubber grommets and such:
    http://www.mnpctech.com/FanGrommet.html
    http://www.mnpctech.com/Acoustical_Foam_Sheets_PC.html

Put the rubber grommets on all fans and all screws in the side panel. Now use the sound deadening foam to fill in any gaps for the side panel and line all the metal, not the window/fan, on the inside (more weight on it = less vibration and noise)

That should fix you.

Again, look up personal experiences and videos with the card.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 20, 2010 5:24:55 AM

rpaulg87 said:
    Hm..the benchmarks I was looking at seemed that generally the 480 had 15-30fps more than the 5870 on AVP, Far Cry, L4D, BC2, etc, ..

Would love to see those benchmarks because they'd be anomalies rather than the norm which is for more in line with the 10% shown in the Tech Power Up review than the 20-30% AMW is soliciting.

And 2 of those 4 titles you list (L4D, BC2) have the GTX480 slower than the HD5870 at max, even when it's the 1GB model in the review AMW posted.

The GTX480 is faster than the HD5870 in general, and the extra 1GB and slight OC helps a bit, but not enough to make it change places overall, just in certain places they were already close, not some major reversal.
    m
    l
    May 20, 2010 7:06:27 AM

Getting the GTX480 tommorow, I posted a video of the annoying crap that both my 5870's emit, down the road I'll just slap on a aftermarket cooler on the 480 GTX, voila, problem solved while having a card that is significantly better @ DX11 abilities, for the same price. Getting a EVGA one tomorrow when I run to the shop.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-qHudFBuXI (link to the radeon 5870 sounds)

Here's one of the benchmark sites, I use them a lot.
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx480/4...
    The GTX 480 pretty much whoops the 5870 in most of those, and the GTX 480 on AVP in DX11 (once you throw Tesselation into the equation it seems the 5870 just lags behind) there's a difference on avg of 10-15 fps (20%) etc. Most of the games I play...(and ironically L4D2 the GTX 480 gets way more than the 5870, BUT l4d1, the 5870 gets more) are games the GTX 480 is using it's new tech on (BC2, AVP) it seems to destroy 5870 in Uniengine (figures though) and in Bad Company 2 on OLD drivers gets an extra 5-8 fps over the 5870 (http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24000&page=9)
    m
    l
    May 20, 2010 12:38:38 PM

GL with your card dude. Also new drivers coming out on Monday for nvidia, and the early betas show pretty decent improvements already.

And good call going with the evga!
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 20, 2010 3:22:57 PM

rpaulg87 said:
    Getting the GTX480 tommorow, I posted a video of the annoying crap that both my 5870's emit, down the road I'll just slap on a aftermarket cooler on the 480 GTX, voila, problem solved while having a card that is significantly better @ DX11 abilities, for the same price. Getting a EVGA one tomorrow when I run to the shop.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-qHudFBuXI (link to the radeon 5870 sounds)

Here's one of the benchmark sites, I use them a lot.
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx480/4...
    The GTX 480 pretty much whoops the 5870 in most of those, and the GTX 480 on AVP in DX11 (once you throw Tesselation into the equation it seems the 5870 just lags behind) there's a difference on avg of 10-15 fps (20%) etc. Most of the games I play...(and ironically L4D2 the GTX 480 gets way more than the 5870, BUT l4d1, the 5870 gets more) are games the GTX 480 is using it's new tech on (BC2, AVP) it seems to destroy 5870 in Uniengine (figures though) and in Bad Company 2 on OLD drivers gets an extra 5-8 fps over the 5870 (http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24000&page=9)

Your experiencing coil whine, something that you either get or do not get. Some cards will produce this whine, and it is largely unknown why. There may be a link to the GPU, mobo, and PSU used that causes this but no one really knows. The 4xxx and 5xxx series from ATI are notorious for this, however.
    m
    l
    May 20, 2010 5:13:25 PM

Thanks a lot everyone for your help, it's a shame I had such trouble with ATI, I just wasn't pleased with the quality I got for 500$. Now after 7 years I'm back to Nvidia, so far loving the GTX 480 and honestly...people really do over do the noise complaint, my 4870 was WAY louder than this whenever I booted a game, this is standable.

I rearranged my case fans to suit the stock cooler, and I can report idle temps right now of 45c, load 85-90c.
    Picture included, only difference is the fan that is blowing directly into the intake, is now vertical right below the other fan towards the front, so it is slanted upwards blowing air all the way through the GTX 480.

Here's a pic of the done deal!

Thanks all again for your help :D 

Update* after 20 min of GTA IV (multi-player mayhem) my temps did not go above 82-83c, so I really think it's all about case size and how much flow you have, this card seems to be fine since the case I have is gigantic
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 20, 2010 5:34:01 PM

rpaulg87 said:
    Thanks a lot everyone for your help, it's a shame I had such trouble with ATI, I just wasn't pleased with the quality I got for 500$. Now after 7 years I'm back to Nvidia, so far loving the GTX 480 and honestly...people really do over do the noise complaint, my 4870 was WAY louder than this whenever I booted a game, this is standable.

I rearranged my case fans to suit the stock cooler, and I can report idle temps right now of 45c, load 85-90c.
    Picture included, only difference is the fan that is blowing directly into the intake, is now vertical right below the other fan towards the front, so it is slanted upwards blowing air all the way through the GTX 480.

Here's a pic of the done deal!
    http://i48.tinypic.com/fvzgbb.jpg

Thanks all again for your help :D 

Update* after 20 min of GTA IV (multi-player mayhem) my temps did not go above 82-83c, so I really think it's all about case size and how much flow you have, this card seems to be fine since the case I have is gigantic

Awesome, I'm always happy to see a happy ending. Yeah the noise thing is a misunderstand, the fan does produce a lot of sound but the sound is a lower hum than most fans, higher frequencies sound "louder" than lower ones even if the DBA/DB is the same.

The temp thing is also blown out of proportion a bit, the fan can keep the card very cool but it is at a low setting to keep noise under control. My 8800 GTS 512mbs hit ~80c 50% fan speed in Crysis, so its not like those are unheard of numbers.

The GTX 480 is hot and noisy, but not nearly as much as most people think it is.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 20, 2010 5:35:24 PM

Oh and beautiful rig, very clean.
    m
    l
    May 20, 2010 5:39:48 PM

AMW1011 said:
    Oh and beautiful rig, very clean.

Thank you, def pays off to hide the wires in looks and cooling benefits :p 

Also, I was actually considering water cooling, as I know my Armor+ has a top deck which pops out to use this water cooling system

Any ideas on if it's worth it? I know It'd quite down my rig a lot, but does it have enough power to cool off my gpu AND cpu? Thanks in advance, just a random question I figure I'd ask :p 

Also, in case I didn't report the new idles temps, with the way it's arranged I now idle at exactly 46c wewt
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 20, 2010 9:25:18 PM

rpaulg87 said:
    Thank you, def pays off to hide the wires in looks and cooling benefits :p 

Also, I was actually considering water cooling, as I know my Armor+ has a top deck which pops out to use this water cooling system

Any ideas on if it's worth it? I know It'd quite down my rig a lot, but does it have enough power to cool off my gpu AND cpu? Thanks in advance, just a random question I figure I'd ask :p 

Also, in case I didn't report the new idles temps, with the way it's arranged I now idle at exactly 46c wewt

That likely won't cool your CPU better than your current air cooler, there are very few decent water cooling setups for sale. You need a custom one to do something that serious. To cool a GTX 480, or two, and your CPU I recommend a triple radiator, like the Swiftech MCR320, a dual radiator, like the MCR220 or Black Ice Stealth 240, and a good pump, like the Swiftech MCP655 or MCP350 with an aftermarket head. Then you will need to buy a decent waterblock for your GPU(s) and CPU. Realistically, we are talking ~$400 to do that, or ~$300/350 for a loop with a single triple radiator.

If you want to get into water cooling, do a lot of research.

I would recommend just getting a very good dual radiator, like the Black Ice Stealth, and a MCP350 or MCP655 and just worry about watercooling your GTX 480. We are still talking about $200-250 for the radiator, pump, tubing, reservoir, and waterblock.
    m
    l
    May 21, 2010 3:21:13 AM

Okayyy nevermind then xD the only reason I was considering it was because of the way my case took the custom water cooler :p 
    m
    l
    May 21, 2010 4:20:53 AM

Yeah I think i'mma stay away from water cooling, I guess fan is good enough for now.

Also, wanted to post these pic differences, first one is AVP maxed out 1920x1200 with the 5870 in DX11, 26 fps. 2nd, same area, GTX 480, maxed out 1920x1200, 56fps.

This card is just chewing the 5870 up in games...even GTA runs better now
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    May 21, 2010 4:10:24 PM

I will point out that the good thing about watercooling is that their are a lot of used parts out there, you may be able to cut that price down a bit. Either way your fine, and your performance is looking great.
    m
    l
    !