Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Opinions, thoughts, suggestions about my planned rig build.

Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2010 8:33:02 PM

I just wanted to build my wife a gaming pc...this pc will be mostly for mmorpg's just have a few basic programs like office, corel photo and video, fraps for recording the mmorpg's we play and to edit the vids...nothing to fancey. this is what i came up with and just wanted some thoughts on the build...any constructive replies are appreciated.

amd phenom x4 black edition
thermaltake frio duel cpu cooler
gigabyte 890fxa-ud5
8gb patriot duel channel sector 5 viper II 1333mhz
xfx 5850 black edition
western digital 1tb caviar black 7200prm
silverstone strider plus 850 watt.
win 7 home premium.

i know the psu is more then what i need but i didnt want to buy a new one incase i stripped this rig down in a few years and use it for parts on a new build.

any thoughts?
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2010 8:40:05 PM

Switch the board to a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 (combo with X4 955). You'll save some money and won't lose anything that matters.

8 GB of RAM is complete overkill. Also, those are slower sticks. Here's some better ones: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7.

WD is losing the HDD contest right now. Grab a Seagate 7200.12 1 TB or Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB for less and lose nothing on the performance side.

You can still save some money on the PSU. Corsair's 850W is a great unit and still fairly cheap. I'd still look at some 750W units though (like this one in a good Antec combo.
m
l
June 22, 2010 8:52:13 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Switch the board to a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 (combo with X4 955). You'll save some money and won't lose anything that matters.

8 GB of RAM is complete overkill. Also, those are slower sticks. Here's some better ones: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7.

WD is losing the HDD contest right now. Grab a Seagate 7200.12 1 TB or Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB for less and lose nothing on the performance side.

You can still save some money on the PSU. Corsair's 850W is a great unit and still fairly cheap. I'd still look at some 750W units though (like this one in a good Antec combo.

i will be looking into a different harddrive for sure thanks...im still super new to building and learning the ropes...while i can make a rig work fine i know i have dumped money into things stupidly. as they say...its more dangerous to know a little bit then to know nothing.

i did consider the corsair based on reviews however i really really love fully modular psu's.

another question...you said 8gb was overkill...why is that? i do see alot of gaming rigs using 4 or 6gbs...will the light videio editing of game footage and gameplay itself not utilize all the ram? sorry for being a nobbie...just trying to understand the science of how it works.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 22, 2010 8:57:43 PM

4 GB is the standard amount. If you're doing heavy rendering, you'd need 8 GB. Nothing you listed suggests that you'll need that much. Gaming doesn't use much RAM, and light editing won't need that much either.

The 6 GB is for i7 systems, which use triple channel RAM (three sticks). 3 GB isn't enough, so they step up to 6.

I'll point out that modular PSUs have been made mostly redundant because of bottom mounted cases. In a case with a bottom mounted PSU, the cables sit out of the way at the bottom of the case. Removing the excess cables aren't needed any more. However, Corsair's HX line are also very good PSUs, and typically only a little more expensive than their other units, if you really, really want a modular unit.
June 22, 2010 9:04:51 PM

The WD have 5yrs on the warranty if you plan on keeping them for sometime opposed to 3yrs on the others.
m
l
June 22, 2010 9:12:13 PM

I don't think an extra two years warranty is really going to be worth the lose of speed (depending on the exact model) and price increase. Both are high enough quality that lasting that long isn't really an issue and with SATA III becoming the new standard and SSDs becoming cheaper and larger, I highly doubt the drive won't be replaced before then.
m
l
June 22, 2010 9:22:53 PM

I have 4 WD that will be held on to for the whole 5yrs if not longer. I own all the drives listed and if your not running a bench you do not see any type of performance loss between them. And i was not going against your suggestions just pointing out a fact. Some people hold on to drives for sometime before upgrading and i have had drives fail after 4yrs even when there of good build quality. Just pointing out a fact thats it. I like all the drives listed on here depending on what i am looking to do with them. No disrespect toward your suggestions. But everyone has different ideas on how long they will use something.
m
l
June 29, 2010 12:16:16 AM

Best answer selected by vegasblahman.
m
l
!