WD 1T Black Not reading

Jserialkilla

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hey guys, so i looked around quickly and noticed a bunch of problems with the wd in regards to not being noticed in the computer and such, yet my problem i cant find an answer too.

Ive had my harddrive for over a year now i believe, its almost full. I tried connecting it to my computer last night to add a few more things to it and it failed. My harddrive wasnt being read, i couldnt find it in my computer or anything.

I tried it with a second computer thinking maybe it was my computer and again no luck.

Honestly i would think the harddrive died on me, if not for the fact that it still reads it perfectly on my playstation 3.

I really hope you guys can help me out :D

You didn't mention if this was a 2.5" drive or a 3.5" drive or how it was used in the ps3.

Was this used as an internal ps3 drive or external? External ps3 drives must be formnatted as FAT(32). The internal drive uses a proprietary format that can't be read by computers.

Jserialkilla

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry, i didnt even think to say it.

It was connected via usb to both my computer and ps3, not at the same time obviously. lol.

Basically i was using it as a huge usb drive to watch movies on my ps3 after i had downloaded them from my computer.

That's very odd. Since the PS3 can read it, it must be formatted as FAT32, which the PC should have no problems reading. I'd try rescuing the files by copying them to the ps3 then hook up a different external drive and copy the files to the new external. After you get all the files off the drive, reformat it so that it's visible on the PC and ps3 again.

Also, how do you watch movies on the external? FAT32 has a 4gig file limit. Movies are much bigger than that.