Latest News about Lara

Last response: in Video Games
May 7, 2005 6:00:20 AM

the following was dated may 3rd and was copied from eidos's website.
Pay attention to all it says, such as "new engine", and "new controls".

Mean Marine
"lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way".

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
Video gaming's leading lady returns backed by an all new developer, engine,
look and gameplay. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend is grounded in the series'
tomb raiding roots and built to challenge even the most accomplished serial
adventurer. Eidos and Crystal Dynamics shaped Lara's look and movements to
be an inherent extension of her skills, motivation and personality. An
arsenal of modern equipment, such as a magnetic grappling device,
binoculars, frag grenades, personal lighting device and communications
equipment, allows gamers to experience tomb raiding as never before. New
character animations and controls allow her to move through stunning
environments with grace and precision, while an understanding of the game's
original appeal reinvigorates the fundamental explore-and-solve adventure
experience. Tomb Raider: Legend is slated for release on the PlayStation®2
computer entertainment system, Windows PC and the Xbox® video game system
from Microsoft.

More about : latest news lara

May 7, 2005 12:17:34 PM

"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
> the following was dated may 3rd and was copied from eidos's website.
> Pay attention to all it says, such as "new engine", and "new controls".
>
> Mean Marine
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way".
>
> Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
> Video gaming's leading lady returns backed by an all new developer,
> engine, look and gameplay. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend is grounded in
> the series' tomb raiding roots and built to challenge even the most
> accomplished serial adventurer. Eidos and Crystal Dynamics shaped Lara's
> look and movements to be an inherent extension of her skills, motivation
> and personality. An arsenal of modern equipment, such as a magnetic
> grappling device, binoculars, frag grenades, personal lighting device and
> communications equipment, allows gamers to experience tomb raiding as
> never before. New character animations and controls allow her to move
> through stunning environments with grace and precision, while an
> understanding of the game's original appeal reinvigorates the fundamental
> explore-and-solve adventure experience. Tomb Raider: Legend is slated for
> release on the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Windows PC and
> the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft.

I don't think the thought of a new engine and controls would fuss me too
much if i hadn't had such a bad experience with AOD.... I guess we can only
hope they get it right this time; What fusses me is that there was nothing
wrong with the original control system and everyone is familiar with it and
enjoys playing with it. In the past new features and moves have just been
added on top of the existing system and I still fail to see why they cannot
continue to do this.

Kieran
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:35:15 PM

Mean Marine wrote:

> the following was dated may 3rd and was copied from eidos's website.
> Pay attention to all it says, such as "new engine", and "new controls".
>
> Mean Marine
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way".
>
> Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
> Video gaming's leading lady returns backed by an all new developer, engine,
> look and gameplay. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend is grounded in the series'
> tomb raiding roots and built to challenge even the most accomplished serial
> adventurer.

I hope that doesn't mean a lot of those ridiculous timed runs or
irritatingly finicky jumps... You know, the ones where you have
to be standing in *exactly* the right spot, etc.

-- G

> Eidos and Crystal Dynamics shaped Lara's look and movements to
> be an inherent extension of her skills, motivation and personality. An
> arsenal of modern equipment, such as a magnetic grappling device,
> binoculars, frag grenades, personal lighting device and communications
> equipment, allows gamers to experience tomb raiding as never before. New
> character animations and controls allow her to move through stunning
> environments with grace and precision, while an understanding of the game's
> original appeal reinvigorates the fundamental explore-and-solve adventure
> experience. Tomb Raider: Legend is slated for release on the PlayStation®2
> computer entertainment system, Windows PC and the Xbox® video game system
> from Microsoft.
May 7, 2005 2:25:45 PM

"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
> the following was dated may 3rd and was copied from eidos's website.
> Pay attention to all it says, such as "new engine", and "new
> controls".
> Mean Marine
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way".
>
> Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
> Video gaming's leading lady returns backed by an all new developer,
> engine, look and gameplay. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend is grounded
> in the series' tomb raiding roots and built to challenge even the
> most accomplished serial adventurer. Eidos and Crystal Dynamics
> shaped Lara's look and movements to be an inherent extension of her
> skills, motivation and personality. An arsenal of modern equipment,
> such as a magnetic grappling device, binoculars, frag grenades,
> personal lighting device and communications equipment, allows gamers
> to experience tomb raiding as never before. New character animations
> and controls allow her to move through stunning environments with
> grace and precision, while an understanding of the game's original
> appeal reinvigorates the fundamental explore-and-solve adventure
> experience. Tomb Raider: Legend is slated for release on the
> PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Windows PC and the Xbox®
> video game system from Microsoft.

Maybe we should look at it as Tombraider 1, Crystal Dynamics? ;)  This
is looking like it would be good adventure, even if the Lara mesh don't
behave quite right through some animation sequences. I well imagine
that SOMEone is working on the models/anims full time though. That's a
part of the game that is done in one set of systems then ported into the
game proper. Or loaded into, rather. She's deffo getting down into an
archaeological dig site in the screenshots, for sure :o ))
McG.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 2:45:40 PM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Mean Marine wrote:
>>
>> the following was dated may 3rd and was copied from eidos's website.
>> Pay attention to all it says, such as "new engine", and "new
>> controls".
>>
>> Mean Marine
>> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way".
>>
>> Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
>> Video gaming's leading lady returns backed by an all new developer,
>> engine, look and gameplay. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend is
>> grounded in the series' tomb raiding roots and built to challenge
>> even the most accomplished serial adventurer.
>
> I hope that doesn't mean a lot of those ridiculous timed runs or
> irritatingly finicky jumps... You know, the ones where you have
> to be standing in *exactly* the right spot, etc.
>
> -- G

That will be there. Hopefully not TOO ridiculously, but there will be
some "trick shots" included I'd bet.
McG.

>> Eidos and Crystal Dynamics shaped Lara's look and movements to
>> be an inherent extension of her skills, motivation and personality.
>> An arsenal of modern equipment, such as a magnetic grappling device,
>> binoculars, frag grenades, personal lighting device and
>> communications equipment, allows gamers to experience tomb raiding
>> as never before. New character animations and controls allow her to
>> move through stunning environments with grace and precision, while
>> an understanding of the game's original appeal reinvigorates the
>> fundamental explore-and-solve adventure experience. Tomb Raider:
>> Legend is slated for release on the PlayStation®2 computer
>> entertainment system, Windows PC and the Xbox® video game system
>> from Microsoft.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:43:13 AM

"Inu-Yasha"

> "McGrandpa"

> Something I can't figure out is if most of us (I'm assuming here) can
> still play TR1 when we can get it to load because of changes in PC
> equipment (consoles don't have that problem), and enjoy the play, why
> do we need all new engines and controls?

You hit the nail on the head there :)  Improvments to all the visual and
audio elements of the game and the 3D immersiveness or "realistic"
appearance. With AoD and DE:IW we got controls written from scratch for
the PS2 that were translated to keys (and mouse) for the pc. These two
were written specifically for another machine period. The translation
to the PC, to be nice, didn't do too well.
They did mess up our fairly basic and simple control scheme/method.
That wasn't necessary at all.

> Possible the engine changes
> are to allow additional graphics for ambiance improvement, or to make
> the scenery or character look more realistic, but the basic
> moves/controls should be adequate. A generalized example of an
> unnecessary improvement was the inventory change in TR4. I wish the
> software developers would concentrate more on gameplay/story than in
> adding more gizmos and flashy moves. Why do they need to challenge
> even the most experienced tomb raider, when they also don't provide a
> means of lowering the dexterity/reflexes requirement s for those of
> us not so niblefingered, but who still want to play and enjoy the
> game. ^_^

I wonder about that too. I'm older, a little shakey, hands are like
rocks, they aren't nimble any more. The mind sees what to do, the hands
dont quite get it in time :)  I share this frustration with you.

The gameplay element. We've talked on this one many times here. There
is a balance to be struck with just how much freedom to allow the player
in what they can choose to do vs what they have to do just to play and
complete the game. Having some modest requirements and a huge freedom
to choose and roam would seem the best. Must have some story to live
out eh?
McG.

!