Sign in with
Your question

Retrieve data from advanced format drive

Last response: in Storage
August 16, 2012 9:04:41 PM

Hey all,

I have a hard drive that I have taken out of a laptop with the purpose of scanning it for viruses using it as an external hard drive via my usb/sata/ide adapter. Works great for all other kinds of hard drives except for the new advanced format hard drives which when plugged into the computer say the disk is not formatted and politely asks me if I would like to do so. I did read the thread here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282899-32-reading-adv... which says the solution is to just buy another adapter from NewEgg. I can certainly do that, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other way to use my existing adapter and still get the directories to list properly. Is there some software or driver or trick or anything that I can do? Is the only option to purchase something new that will read these things?

Thanks!!
a b G Storage
August 16, 2012 9:26:55 PM

I was just testing out Acronis True Image Home 2012 at work and I believe it had some utility for that purpose, although I cannot recall specifically what the functionality was at this moment. It's free to try for 30 days, or I think Newegg had a pretty good deal on it (only 9.99 if it's still up, but I would check out the free version first to see if it does what you want/need). I am not sure if I am allowed to post those promo codes here, if it's okay, you can PM me for it, otherwise they are available to Newegg E-Blast subscribers (like myself :) ).
m
l
August 16, 2012 9:31:49 PM

chugot9218 said:
I was just testing out Acronis True Image Home 2012 at work and I believe it had some utility for that purpose, although I cannot recall specifically what the functionality was at this moment. It's free to try for 30 days, or I think Newegg had a pretty good deal on it (only 9.99 if it's still up, but I would check out the free version first to see if it does what you want/need). I am not sure if I am allowed to post those promo codes here, if it's okay, you can PM me for it, otherwise they are available to Newegg E-Blast subscribers (like myself :) ).

Cool - I will look into that. So... that means if it works that there is definitley a software answer to the problem rather than a hardware necessity, which I like. It also means there has to be something out there or coming soon that could do this for free!! :) 
m
l
!