Laptop Hard Drive to USB?

n1ck3rs0n

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Can someone tell me what kind of cable I would need to attach a laptop hard drive up to a laptop via USB? I have a laptop with a corrupt Windows 7 and I need to re-install Windows clean on it. I need to back up files on the laptop to my other laptop.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished

I've have that cable set and have used it for connecting drives via USB. It works well for what you want to do. It's a lot cheaper than an external dock, but not quite as safe. Just make sure to lay the drive with the electronics/circuit board facing upward. Many years ago I laid the drive down on the computer case side panel (metal) on the floor, circuit board facing down, and shorted the drive out. A costly mistake.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Yes that would work.

Things to consider though: Is this going to be a one time thing (then this is fine) or are you going to be using this repeatedly?

If you are doing this repeatedly then I suggest a dock, sturdier and less chance to knock over/down and most handle 2 drives at the same time.

Also \consider connectivity. Again if you are using this only once, this won't matter, if it is for more regular stuff I'd look for either USB3, eSata or thunderbolt depending on what you have available or use.

n1ck3rs0n

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Thanks mate.

I looked into external enclosures, they start around $15.00. Was considering going with this Roswell but I may just get those cables. Whatever gets the job done. Fixing this laptop for my neighbor, Best Buy's Geek Squad said it would cost $400.00 to fix it. :pt1cable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182140

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
I've got a couple of these, as I end up using these things every so often, providing support for family, relatives and friends, and even in my consulting work. But it's $20 delivered. If I got one now I'd pay more and get USB 3.0 on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182221

I've use drive docking stations frequently when a desktop or laptop has a virus of some kind. I can remove it, put it in the dock, then use my PC's anti-virus to clean it as an external HDD. It's a lot faster than trying to clean an infected system.

The only bad thing about your 2.5" enclosure is that, as the other poster said, it is limited to 2.5" HDDs. It's meant more for making a permanent external HDD, like you'd buy at Costco or Walmart, not for the type of temporary use you were talking about, where the HDD eventually either gets thrown away (damaged) or put back in a laptop.

n1ck3rs0n

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Sorry nevermind got it to work!

Unfortuneatly it isn't displaying any of their files in the my documents folder or anything. I wonder if the system restore they tried to do wiped it out? It reads 284 GB free of 288 GB...