I want to add a scsi hard drive to my ide windows xp pc

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hello,
I have a Windows XP Home box with 1 IDE and 1 SATA hard drive. I would like to be able to use a SCSI hard drive from an XP Pro box to store data. I have installed an Adaptec AHA-2940UW controller. XP detects it and says the drivers are loaded. When I connect the SCSI drive to the controller with a 68 pin cable (with termination after the hard drive) the computer boots to the " changes have been made to your system" screen but will not boot to Windows or safe mode. The bios is set to boot from the ide drive. What am I missing?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Can you try safe mode ?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

On a lot of BIOS, you have to manually set the BIOS to look for bootable ROMs from addon cards like Ethernet and SCSI cards (or SATA). Check in your BIOS, and tinker with that setting if you have one. If you are not booting off the SCSI card, you can disable this setting. If that's the current setting, try enabling it and let it enumerate the SCSI ROM at POST.

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

The box will boot fine with or without the scsi controller installed in the pci slot. It does not boot when the scsi drive is attached to the scsi cable that is attached to the scsi controller. The scsi hard drive has no issues when connected to the original pc it was taken from.

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I pulled the scsi drive with attached cable and terminator from the original xp box and connected the cable to the aha-2040uw controller I installed in the new xp box.