Sign in with
Your question

I want to add a scsi hard drive to my ide windows xp pc

Last response: in Storage
August 16, 2012 9:28:27 PM

Hello,
I have a Windows XP Home box with 1 IDE and 1 SATA hard drive. I would like to be able to use a SCSI hard drive from an XP Pro box to store data. I have installed an Adaptec AHA-2940UW controller. XP detects it and says the drivers are loaded. When I connect the SCSI drive to the controller with a 68 pin cable (with termination after the hard drive) the computer boots to the " changes have been made to your system" screen but will not boot to Windows or safe mode. The bios is set to boot from the ide drive. What am I missing?
a b G Storage
August 16, 2012 9:52:51 PM

8800 said:
Hello,
I have a Windows XP Home box with 1 IDE and 1 SATA hard drive. I would like to be able to use a SCSI hard drive from an XP Pro box to store data. I have installed an Adaptec AHA-2940UW controller. XP detects it and says the drivers are loaded. When I connect the SCSI drive to the controller with a 68 pin cable (with termination after the hard drive) the computer boots to the " changes have been made to your system" screen but will not boot to Windows or safe mode. The bios is set to boot from the ide drive. What am I missing?

Can you try safe mode ?
m
l
August 17, 2012 4:15:21 PM

Does not boot to safe mode.
m
l
Related resources
a c 371 G Storage
August 17, 2012 5:08:47 PM

If you remove the scsi controller does it boot again? It sounds like the controller either has the wrong drivers or possibly the controller is set to bootable and it's overriding the bios.
m
l
a c 80 G Storage
August 17, 2012 5:27:50 PM

Does it even try to load windows? I think if you watch the boot sequence there is a way to get to the set-up for the scsi card. (ctrl-m maybe). In the setup you will find a place to select the boot order and allow you to change it.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 17, 2012 5:33:18 PM

8800 said:
Does not boot to safe mode.

On a lot of BIOS, you have to manually set the BIOS to look for bootable ROMs from addon cards like Ethernet and SCSI cards (or SATA). Check in your BIOS, and tinker with that setting if you have one. If you are not booting off the SCSI card, you can disable this setting. If that's the current setting, try enabling it and let it enumerate the SCSI ROM at POST.
m
l
August 21, 2012 8:29:57 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
If you remove the scsi controller does it boot again? It sounds like the controller either has the wrong drivers or possibly the controller is set to bootable and it's overriding the bios.

The box will boot fine with or without the scsi controller installed in the pci slot. It does not boot when the scsi drive is attached to the scsi cable that is attached to the scsi controller. The scsi hard drive has no issues when connected to the original pc it was taken from.
m
l
a c 371 G Storage
August 22, 2012 11:39:20 AM

The only other thing I can suggest is, is the drive self terminated or does it require a terminator? Perhaps the drive isn't being terminated properly.
m
l
August 23, 2012 5:00:37 PM

I pulled the scsi drive with attached cable and terminator from the original xp box and connected the cable to the aha-2040uw controller I installed in the new xp box.
m
l
!