Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Desktop setting for chess engine usage

Last response: in Components
August 21, 2010 9:38:39 AM

Hi to all,

I am going to build my first 4-core cpu system. I intend to use it for chess engine test/analysis. My setup is that for long hours, say 8 hrs+ continuous, all cpu cores will be loaded.

Any advise on mainboard/cpu setup which is stable and can handle excessive heat. And also power supply/casing setup to handle/reduce heat. Graphic is not my primary concern.

If 8-core at the moment is expensive, I can settle first to 4-core and upgrade later. Mainboard must be compatible with future cpu upgrade.

At the moment the mainboards available in my place is ASUS, MSI, EVGA and Intel. Processors are Intel i3/i5/i7 & AMD X4/X6.

At least for an affordable price.

Thanks in advance.
a b ) Power supply
a c 159 à CPUs
August 21, 2010 10:31:03 AM

Affordable price is too vague. List a budget for the cpu/board/ram and a link to your vender. This website gets posts from all over the world. Without this info, can't give you any real useful info.
m
l
August 21, 2010 11:30:40 AM

Understood. I am thinking the options below.

Option 1:
ASUS P7H55D - M PRO w/ i3 550 or i5 661 or i7 860

Option 2:
MSI H55 - GD65 w/ i3 550 or i5 661 or i7 860

Power supply & casing
Cooler Master (preferably how many wattage? or any brand?)

Thank you
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a c 159 à CPUs
August 21, 2010 12:08:12 PM

If your vender carries the i5 750, it's the best for value versus performance but has no graphics on the cpu. If you use a cpu with graphics on the die, select an h55 chipset board, which is cheaper than the p55. With a separate video card, you can use either chipset. Some of the other cpus you mentioned have the graphics on the die. Remember that just because the motherboard has the video ports doesn't mean it has onboard graphics. The cpu must also have it on the die. Go with antec or corsair if your vender has them. Cooler master isn't that good. I use ocz, and it's just ok. Also consider your case space versus cable clutter. You may want to get a cable select power supply, but most still use a fixed 24 pin connector, so the space saving is limited. For onboard video, a 400w corsair with 30 amps on the 12v rail is adequate. Cheaper brands have lower 12v rail ratings and can fail under load. My i3 530 has full hd video support (1920x1080) when you have the intel hd graphics driver loaded and is adequate for mild gaming and everything else.
August 21, 2010 12:37:16 PM

Very much appreciated. Thanks.
m
l
August 25, 2010 3:37:27 PM

Best answer selected by blitzkrieg76.
m
l
!