Lga 1156 and lga 1366 dead?

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
is socket lga 1156 and lga 1366 dead? will there be anymore cpus made for those sockets? because i was planning on getting a new pc and i was wondering if i should wait for the new cpus to come out, is it worth it? i was going to make a build with either an i5 760 or an i7 930, the pc would be used mainly for gaming, i was looking at the i7 because in the future i could upgrade to a hexacore cpu, but considering the core2 extreme processors cost so much now even after a few years the i7 980x will probably also be expensive in a few years, i dont know what i should do, need your advice guys

thanks

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
By the time the 980X becomes cheap, 1366 will be daed for a long time...
No games can even use 4 cores yet, so a hexa will be overkill...
My theory is do reaserch now on the next gen of CPUs and whan they come out later, buy them...
If you can wait a few months, Id go for " Sandy Bridge" or " Bulldozer "...

Hope this was usefull!

My reasoning is just the opposite. The sooner the chipset and boards become obsolete, the sooner the prices may come down. Most cpus are overkill anyway for the average user. Your main goal is to get them at the right price point. I got my 1156 board virtually free at frys with the i3 530. I would have stayed with 775 without this deal. Now frys has suspended the free board deals, but they may come back later.

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
your theory is correct, but only applies to specials...
I just had a thought: Why dont you buy somthing reasonable now and OC it when it gets sluggish?

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
yes i was planning to do so but im planning to have the pc for about 5-6 years, by the way what cpu cooler should i get if i go for the i7, i was looking at the thermalright silver arrow

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
quite good, though not the best...
If youre going to keep it for 6 yrs, youll need 2 OC it quite a bit, so i would go for water cooling, even a cheep model...!!!

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
OCing your processor actually decreases its lifetime.

out of those two sockets, i'd say 1156 is 'more' dead then 1366

either socket will probably last you at least 4 years at stock speeds. (i still have a p3 system that runs at stock speeds)

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
lets say i get a noctua nh-d14 cpu cooler or a corsair h70, and i OC the i7 to about 3.4 ghz and it runs at the same temp as a stock i7 930 with a stock fan, will OCing still decrease its lifetime?

ares1214

Splendid
That isnt true, OC'ing if done right doesnt decrease the lifetime, or noticably. I have OC'ed cpus still working from 10 years ago, and they are still going strong. CPU's VERY rarely go before other parts in the system, like PSU or HDD. By the time the CPU dies, its past time to get a new build or upgrade anyway.

KBentley57

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008

I have never known overclocking to kill a processor, ever. So long as you keep it cool, and don't apply unnecessary voltage, it will outlive the useful life of your computer. In fact, I have a PII system that I used in my early teens that still runs fine.

It is fairly easy to build a pc that will last 5 years, however, you may want to consider the economics of your decision.

1. If you do that now, it will likely cost upwards of $2,000.00 for a computer that is still considered "decent enough" in six years.
2. Other components will likely need upgrading/replacing before six years is up. If you game, your graphics card will stay recent at most for 2 years, depending on your screen size.
3. Hard drives may or may not last 6 years. I've had drives last 10 years, arrive DOA, and die somewhere in between. Count your blessings for a 6 year run without replacement.

Another option is two buy a decent case, power supply, and optical drives that WILL last 6 years. They aren't hard to find. Any quality PS has a decent chance of lasting this long. Then you can buy moderately priced mid-range parts that will get you through, say, three years at at time, then do a refresh.

Example:

I bought a antec 900 2 (expensive for a case), OCZ gameXstream 700W PSU, and HP DVD burner. I plan on keeping these for every new build that I do. Although the case was expensive, I know it will last. The power supply has countless good ratings on newegg, and I don't overload it with components, so I suspect it will last. Optical drives are cheap. HP is a good brand. If it lasts, great. If it fails, its not a huge expense.

Instead of buying a monster LGA775 system a few years ago, I bought a cheaper AM3 based system. Phenom II 955, 4 GB 1333 DDR3, and a 4870, once the price came down. It didn't cost that much. I know that in a few years, I can reuse some of the components, rebuild the innards for around $600.00 and still have a great gaming system.

Do it this way and you'll stay current longer, and have cheaper, more reliable systems over its lifespan.

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

if its done wrong (or without the proper cooling) you could seriously damage your cpu

either socket will last you awhile

AMW1011

Distinguished
I recently upgraded my processor and main components. The interesting thing is that my previous setup lasted me about 3 years, and my old E6750 STILL wouldn't bottleneck me until I upgrade my GPUs. It would STILL be competitive. All it needed was a better motherboard so I could OC it nicely, nvidia chipsets suck ass unless you get the really expensive ones.

I've been sitting on 2 8800 GTS 512mb cards that I bought refurbished 2 years ago, though I don't recommend refurbished since both have died. The interesting thing is that, I replaced the first one that failed with another one, and now that the second one failed I'm having a hard time not just buying another one for $80 used. 2 8800 GTS 512mb cards are about equal to a GTX 460 now.

As you can see, if you buy smart and upgrade your PC consistently, you will be able to get much more performance for your money than buying one ridiculous PC now.

As for LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 being dead, it really does suck. It would have been nice to get some 32nm CPUs later and sell off my current CPU. And the fact that they only took out one pin makes it unforgivable from Intel. That would have done wonders for the longevity of my system, and I'm sure many agree. But, my i5 750 isn't needed NOW, so I have a feeling it will last a good long while.

Oh and I definitely believe in buying one great case and sticking with it, though I consider an Antec 900 a budget case. I upgraded from my Antec 900 to a Silverstone TJ07 because it is a beautiful case that I will use for many years. Yes I paid a lot, but its cheaper than buying another $100 case every couple of years, and your case is the most aesthetic part of your computer so it should look good.

AMW1011

Distinguished

That doesn't mean the practice is flawed, that means the people who do it are.

I can't tell you how many times I have to tell someone that setting your CPU to 4GHz and at the voltage someone else was able to use to obtain that clock, is NOT how to overclock and will do damage to the processor, and maybe even other components. If you do research, go in prepared, and are responsible and patient overclocking will not result in a damaged component, simple as that.

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

i agree with you 100%

Well, this is what other people on and I always say to people in your position.

Get what you need/want now. There will always be something better around the conner.

As for gaming and Cpu's right now I would recommend the core i5 760. the majority of games out there wont use the full power of the i7's but there just starting to use the power of the core 2 quads/i5 7xx's.

Also as other people have said, if things seam to be getting a bit slow due to the cpu, overclock it. ;) It will last a long while.

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
thanks for the advice, 6 years ago i bought a pc with a 6800gt graphics card, pentium 4 3ghz and some biostar mobo and a gig of ram, that pc was awesome it could play almost any new game the only reason im getting a new pc is because my motherboards ram slots blew, lol hopefully that wont happen again in the next few years at least this time i decided to go for a gigabyte mobo which has ultra durable 3 hopefully that will help and hopefully its not just a gimmick. Do you think i should wait for the new processors to come out? or should i buy now? my money is burning a hole in my pocket, i just want to get a pc now, so is it worth waiting for? i heard that the new intel cpus that are coming out next year are not going to be overclockable, is that true?

ares1214

Splendid
From what info is out, normal intel cpus wont be able to OC, unless the motherboard manufacturers find a way around that. However the K series ones will, but im sure Intel will charge a pretty penny for them. So far, im not very impressed with the new series. Bulldozer comes out too. Bulldozer seems more impressive, however not as much info is out. Now isnt the best time to buy IMO. Wait till the end of the year. The bulldozer should be presenting itself, Sandy Bridge will very likely be out, the 6xxx series should be starting up, and the 4xx series should be finished. Of course you also get more integration of SATA 6 and USB 3, as well as general things like faster, bigger, cheaper SSD's, and better overall parts, but that happens after waiting for anything. Id say wait till the end of the year, but dont keep waiting if new things are on the horizon. You will never get a new computer like that! :lol:

notty22

Distinguished

I think I have read you say this all over this forum, LOL, what are you basing your 'predictions' on ? ESP ?

ares1214

Splendid
For one, the socket change. That takes away a lot. Second, it seems very likely we will have to pay a whole lot more for the "K" series just to get a half decent OC. Second, i doubt it will OC as good as the older i5 and i7, since they could go from 2.66 to 4-4.3 GHz with ease. These are clocked a lot higher, and while they are 32nm, i doubt they will OC better than the i3, which could go from 2.93 to 4.3 extremely easily, 4.5 was very possible. These are starting at atleast 3.33 GHz, so going from 3.33 to 4.3 is a lot less impressive than 2.66 or 2.93 GHz to 4.3 GHz. Thats mostly a guess though, but seems quite likely. On the other hand, while there is less info out on BD, it "seems" more impressive to me. For one, the last time AMD did a whole new arch, they blew intel out of the water for both bang, and bang for buck. Also, the architecture looks a lot better to me, but i cant be sure. They also managed to have some degree of backwards compatibility with AM3. AMD and ATI are doing great together, so i dont care much about it, but i also expect the integrated graphics to be better than that of intels. No apparent limit on overclocking is also a massive plus, and hopefully AMD wont let success get to their head, if they do succeed, and remember the middle and lower sector, as well as not overpricing everything. I am not saying bulldozer will be better than sandy bridge, but even intel shows i7 on 1366 reigned as the top dog for them until the "2011" socket. That leads us to believe that sandy bridge will be nothing more than a glorified i5 1156 at higher clock rates, and no overclocking. Considering it likely wont beat the i7's of now, atleast according to intel, i "predict" AMD's 8 and 16 cores will take the performance crown until socket "2011", which should be out during the middle of 2011. Of course, all this is from what little info is out, and a few leaked benchmarks and product listings, but still, im fairly confident it wont be another i7 hit. Especially considering people who got 1156 will have to shell out another $200 just for a motherboard. People with AM3 likely wont.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Hey, hey, hey. The Biostar T series is actually very good. My T5XE SLI+CFX has been used on some very nice LN2 runs by others, has great PCIe spacing, and has x8/x8 SLI and crossfire for only $100. After a lot of research I couldn't justify spending more for eSATA or prettier colors, which is all it lacked at the time.

ares1214

Splendid
Actually, i heard pretty good things about the 8xx AM3 Biostar boards, although they need to build up a decent rep, an older one failed on me, so i dont take that very well. But all the same.