Sign in with
Your question

Home built systems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2010 11:54:29 PM

I've had a Adaptec AVC-2410 tuner/capture card for some years and using that have been able to record and burn my personal VHS tapes to DVD as well as (legally) capture TV from satellite programing to also burn recorded TV programing to DVD.

Obviously when I capture a TV (analog) program it is saved to a drive folder. Then burned to DVD using stand alone software such as DVD flick, Sothink, Img Burn, etc, etc.

Or after saving my personal VHS tapes to a drive folder from my old VHS player, they are also burned to DVD.

The 2410 had InterVideo WinDVR 3.0 and My DVD bundled with it and at some point about a year ago the software and/or the card itself became erratic, sometimes with video without sound, sound without video, or sometimes freezing whereupon the recording also unexpectedly stops. The only way I have been able to minimize (but not eliminate) these problems was to partially "pre-cycle" (ahead of time) the recording process (from VHS and/or TV tuner programing from satellite) several times before starting my actual record/save session. The problem(s) have become worse whereby now even my preparations before beginning a session do not work well enough, so I can never know when hour(s) of preparation and recording are lost because of software (or hardware?) error/stoppage. I'm not certain if the problem lies with the Adaptec 2410 card, the Win DVR3 or MyDVD software, or all of the above. I have previously downloaded updates and drivers for both but that did not solve the problem(s) and have been advised nothing more is available for either the software or hardware, both being obsolete or outdated and no longer having support. So I need suggestions on how to fix the software, hardware, or replace either or both with equivalents or something better, or a bundle which I can use to continue my multimedia activity as described.

Actually it now seems to me there is little point in "fixing" those and that my best bet would be to replace them all so that I could continue what I have been doing.

I am running XP pro svc pk 2, total physical memory 4,096 mb, Duo Intel 3005 mhz

Any help with observations, suggestions, recommendations, referrals or experience with this would be appreciated.

More about : home built systems

May 16, 2010 12:56:15 AM

It really does sound like something with the card. I've had good luck with the Hauppauge tuners (2250 right now).

Just a question, not related to this - is there a reason you haven't upgrade to XP SP3? SP2 is End of Life, now, I believe...no support left. You might want to upgrade that.
May 16, 2010 10:48:09 AM

Thanks Huron, I've looked at Hauppauge. Don't recall why I didn't get a 2250 among all the others I reviewed. It seemed like there was always a possible conflict or lack of what I needed, or maybe a bad review by many who bought it and sent it back.

As for your question, in fact your reference might be very related, if the 2250 for example requires sp3 (which some did that I looked at). Why I did not upgrade? Because M$ upgrades and post XP OS's have all been so crappy I didn't need another reason to dump M$ for open source OS. Look at Win 7 that so many old timers won't touch with a 10 foot pole. XP has been the best ever even with just SP2. But you may be right, it could be that SP3 has been patched enough now.

How exactly do you use your Hauppauge 2250?
Related resources
May 16, 2010 11:04:15 AM

SP3 is certainly a worthwhile upgrade. Are there actually any specific reasons you have not? It's over 2 years old now and was always very stable to begin with.
Anyway the first thing you can do is find out if it is a software or hardware problem. To do so you would do a fresh installation of XP and the software, either replacing your current install(it's a good idea to reinstall windows about once a year anyway) or just for testing purposes on a different drive or partition. If you get the same problems then it is a hardware issue and you should replace the card. If the problems go away... well then there you go.
May 16, 2010 12:18:22 PM

huron said:
It really does sound like something with the card. I've had good luck with the Hauppauge tuners (2250 right now).

Just a question, not related to this - is there a reason you haven't upgrade to XP SP3? SP2 is End of Life, now, I believe...no support left. You might want to upgrade that.

Huron, just took another look at Hauppage 2250 at Newegg. There are some reviews there that don't look good, don't know who to believe. And no software? What software? Does that mean you need to buy other software to record and save from satellite TV (dish network) or VHS recorder? Aside from that though, the OS's supported appear to require XP MCE. I have XP PRO, no MCE.

What's your setup and how do you use the 2250?

Roger

May 17, 2010 1:46:33 PM

I've had no issues with the 2250. I've used it in Win7, but it should be fine in XP. It includes software to do the recording, which I have had no issues with. So no, no additional software required.

I build an HTPC that records TV coming in from my cable provider. It's been working just fine for me.
May 18, 2010 7:04:21 PM

huron said:
I've had no issues with the 2250. I've used it in Win7, but it should be fine in XP. It includes software to do the recording, which I have had no issues with. So no, no additional software required.

I build an HTPC that records TV coming in from my cable provider. It's been working just fine for me.

Since everyone I've seen that reviewed the 2250 has had win7 as you do huron, and the card specifications do specify Win7 required (which has MCE built in) I have reservations that it will ever be compatible with XP pro, at least without serious hacking as it were or building new HTPC peripherals or mainframes. I just want to replace what I have and keep my home built PC, present specs:

Processor name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz
Processor speed 3005
Processor vendor GenuineIntel
Processor count (cores) 2
Processor ID x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
RAM size 2.00 GB
DirectX version 4.09.00.0904
HDD - Windows partition 48 GB
HDD - Largest disk 320 GB
Video RAM 512 MB
Windows version XP 5.1.2600

As you can see I took jyjjy's advice and updated to SP3 (Have not noticed any better performance yet but some crashes with certain operations that I never had before). Now having second thoughts about SP3 which I was afraid of.

I've looked around even more for TV-video capture cards but not come up with anything encouraging.
!