Help choosing motherboard, urgent..

anytime12

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Hi guys,
I just need an advice on choosing a motherboard, I'm looking into lower range and mid-range boards because of my budget. I'm due to buy one by wednesday, so I'm really having a hard time deciding on such a short notice.

The requirements are following:

socket 1155 board
USB 3.0 ports

There are also optional features I'd like to have (ordered by highest priority):

1. overclocking possibility, XMP support
2. 4 DIMM slots
3. 8-channel audio
4. internal GPU (as far as I know mutually exclusive with 1.)

I'm happy to hear your suggestions..

(I like ASUS P8H67-M PRO so far, but haven't looked closely on others)..

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

On a budget my picks are ASUS P8P67 PRO {ATX} and P8P67-M PRO {mATX}.

Confused -> Please define "4. internal GPU (as far as I know mutually exclusive with 1.)"?? Are you buying a Discrete GPU e.g. GTX 560 Ti or do you need an onboard {integrated} GPU??

ASUS:
Maximus IV Extreme {2~3WAY, x8...x8, Marvell 9182 [ASUS typo? 9128] RAID 0/1, eSATA, BT, Dual Intel LAN}
P8P67 WS Revolution {2~3WAY & 4-WAY Quadro only, x8...x8, Marvell 9128 RAID 0/1, Dual Intel LAN}

P8P67 DELUXE {2-WAY, x8/x8 + x4 open, Marvell 9128 RAID 0/1, eSATA, BT, Dual Intel/Realtek LAN, USB3 Ft Panel}

P8P67 EVO {2-WAY, x8/x8 + x4 open, Marvell 9120 no RAID, eSATA, BT, Dual Intel/Realtek LAN, BT}
P8P67 PRO {2-WAY, x8/x8 + x4 open, Marvell 9120 no RAID, eSATA, BT}

SABERTOOTH P67 {2-WAY, x8/x8, Marvell 9120 no RAID, eSATA}
P8P67-M PRO {cheap} {2-WAY, x8/x8 + x4 covered, eSATA}
P8P67 LE {cheap}
P8P67 {cheap}
P8P67-M {cheap}

anytime12

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
asus P867 PRO is at maximum price I'm willing to spend on motherboard...
I'm hoping to find something cheaper...but it's looking good..

Confused -> Please define "4. internal GPU (as far as I know mutually exclusive with 1.)"?? Are you buying a Discrete GPU e.g. GTX 560 Ti or do you need an onboard {integrated} GPU??

I do have discrete GPU, I meant onboard GPU, but it's not really needed (hence listed last)..

i found something cheaper,
Intel Deer Flat DP67DE, which looks good, has P67 chipset which should have unlocked overclocking options, but I have little to no experience with intel motherboards..could anyone share an opinion on them?

The 'problems' IF you wanted onboard VGA: No OC of K CPU, Limited Turbo Boost, and Shared Resources {Discrete GPU/hampered performance; Loss of Physical RAM}.

The next 'problem' is currently the choices are rather limited until the P67 MOBOs are in full supply; 2~3+ weeks.

Otherwise the ASRock {owned by ASUS/budget MOBOs} or MSI are good alternatives.

To fine tune:
Q - What GPU?
Q - Crossfire or SLI?
Q - SSD or PCIe SSD?
Q - CPU?

anytime12

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
no onboard VGA then...

I know of the 67 chipset bug and waiting times..that's why i need to choose rather fast before my retailer place bulk order..

I have very bad experience with MSI boards, so no MSI, alternatives could be GIGABYTE or INTEL..
but as I said in my previous post I have no experience with intel boards (used some but decade ago)
and relatively positive experience with gigabyte...

GPU - ati 5670, not upgrading at least for a year (no crossfireX ever)
SSD - not yet, later this year (most probably SATA)
CPU - i5 2500K

Basically, all I'm looking for is motherboard with 3.0 USB ports, XMP and overclocking possibility...

anytime12

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
ok, it seems I find a suitable candidate - ASUS P8P67-M PRO

an unless anyone can think of some reason why not to buy it, I am gonna sick with it..

and jaquith - thanks for your time and opinions..

No, the ASUS P8P67-M PRO is good; it is a mATX MOBO vs ATX, but otherwise is fine and support both CF/SLI for future expansion. The caveat is only if you want CF/SLI and need the x4 PCIe. -- just info.

Redskins

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

anytime12

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Redskins: first pick is the best pick, or so the say :D

BUT i change my mind finally to P8H67 LE which is basically the same, only ATX size and has 1 PATA...

Then you're wasting you $ on a K CPU, and to a lesser degree GPU performance. The H67 will NOT OC period plus it has limited Turbo Boost {+4 multiplier} vs P67 {+8 multiplier}, and then there's the Shared RAM + PCIe bandwidth harming Discrete GPU performance and loss of some Physical RAM

Look at the Chart:
Build_Chart_Q1-2011-1.jpg

anytime12

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
OMG, one small letter can really start confusion, i meant P8P67 LE of course...

but thanks for the chart, it really sums it up nicely..

The ASUS P8P67 LE is okay, it's a basic P67 and okay OC for the Core i5-2500K and so-so for the Core i7-2600K. Lacks 'real' Crossfire with the x4 PCIe slot. Otherwise, it has what you listed -- Analog 8 Channel Audio & NO {Optical, or Coaxial}.

Again, just pointing stuff out and trying to watch your '6'.

anytime12

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I will not do some really serious OCing so I am good I guess, and I do not mind not having the "real" crossfire or any for that matter...

Thanks again for all your comments...found that really helpful...

Redskins

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Have you taken a look at the EVGA P55V SLI Motherboard - Intel P55, Socket LGA1156, SLI+PhysX, Dual-Channel DDR3 great price but, no SATS 6GB/s or USB 3.0 for the price very good LGA1156 MB

muz_j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Nice suggestion - except the original poster was looking for a Socket 1155 board - not socket 1156.

To the OP - sounds like you've already decided, but I really like the Asus P8P67 PRO B3 motherboard (B3 versions have the SATA issues resolved).
P67 chipset and not the H67, but a very good, full sized board, with excellent performance.

anytime12

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Nice suggestion - except the original poster was looking for a Socket 1155 board - not socket 1156.

That's right :ange:

and regarding your suggestion - P8P67 PRO does not really have any useful features I'd like to have over LE version, and is 60$ more, the cost for me is unjustified...

anyway, the original question is solved and mobo already ordered, I'll just have to wait till it arrives, I hope it won't be long. From what I heard the supplies should be back to normal later this week, I certainly hope so..

Redskins

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Sorry I did not see the the MB needed was 1155 as long as you stick with ASUS and they TigerDirect they most likely have the MB your looking for in stock and at a good price. They also ship fast. If you need help when building I would be able to help. I started building computers back in the late 1970's we built the boards by hand then. Here is some thing to think about the tower your going to use make sure it is large enough to get the proper air flow it will help keep your temps down hard wear last longer. Good luck Coach Jones

muz_j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Well that's all cool.
I will show you this though - just in case it changes your mind - there's one key difference between the LE and the other boards:
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1500/asus_p8p67_spec.jpg

The LE versions don't feature the same Digital VRM features, which to me is critical. If you don't care, then that's fine, but just thought I'd point it out.