Opinions/Suggestions on a Rebuild

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: By the end of next week

BUDGET RANGE: $600-$700 before rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I'll be using it as an everyday computer for school, internet surfing, movies, light gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, operating system, case, DVD-RW, power supply: Silverstone ST56F 560 watt

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (never done it before)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)

I was looking at this setup:
1 TB HDD $100
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz Quad-Core $180
Motherboard $100
RAM (2x2GB) $110
Video Card (ATI Radeon 5770) $175 Is this card an upgrade over a GeForce 8600 GT? I don't really know much about graphics cards at all.

Total: $665

Any opinions would be appreciated. I've built a PC before, but don't know a lot about parts and everything.
5 answers Last reply
More about opinions suggestions rebuild
  1. First post edited to suit the template's format, sorry I didn't see it.
  2. I'd go with the corsair RAM that's similar but cheaper than that. (and a better brand)

I'd go with the phenom II 955, much cheaper for not much difference. Mobos are kinda preferential, but that's a good chipset and whatnot.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2646-7.html
    Look at tier list for graphics cards.

I might go with the samsung spinpoint f3 terabyte drive, but I don't really know that model you listed so you may wanna hit up some benchmarks.

Other than that, looks good.
  3. The reason I went with that drive is the 6 GB/s. I was looking at that Samsung originally, but figured the 6 GB/s Western Digital would be better.

Yeah, I was thinking about saving a few bucks by going with the 955. I didn't know the x6s were out. Do you think it would be worth it to go for one of those? Phenom II x6 1055T
  4. Not for gaming, no.

And just because it has the newest connection does not mean that it's actually faster. Hard drives are barely using SATA I let alone II or III.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product