Opinions/Suggestions on a Rebuild

gibsonpenguin

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: By the end of next week

BUDGET RANGE: $600-$700 before rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I'll be using it as an everyday computer for school, internet surfing, movies, light gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, operating system, case, DVD-RW, power supply: Silverstone ST56F 560 watt

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (never done it before)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)

I was looking at this setup:
1 TB HDD $100
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz Quad-Core $180
Motherboard $100
RAM (2x2GB) $110
Video Card (ATI Radeon 5770) $175 Is this card an upgrade over a GeForce 8600 GT? I don't really know much about graphics cards at all.

Total: $665

Any opinions would be appreciated. I've built a PC before, but don't know a lot about parts and everything.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
I'd go with the corsair RAM that's similar but cheaper than that. (and a better brand)

I'd go with the phenom II 955, much cheaper for not much difference. Mobos are kinda preferential, but that's a good chipset and whatnot.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2646-7.html
Look at tier list for graphics cards.

I might go with the samsung spinpoint f3 terabyte drive, but I don't really know that model you listed so you may wanna hit up some benchmarks.

Other than that, looks good.

gibsonpenguin

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
The reason I went with that drive is the 6 GB/s. I was looking at that Samsung originally, but figured the 6 GB/s Western Digital would be better.

Yeah, I was thinking about saving a few bucks by going with the 955. I didn't know the x6s were out. Do you think it would be worth it to go for one of those? Phenom II x6 1055T