AMD x6 1090T giving weird readings in HW monitor programs after OC

inate36

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
This is my first build and my first time overclocking so there's a chance that I'm reading these numbers wrong, but after overclocking my 1090T from 3.2 GHz to 3.6 GHz, the specs seemed to come out wrong.

First, here's the rest of my build:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 with BIOS rev F3
RAM: 2 GB G.Skill Pi 1600
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5770

When I first OCed, I left the FSB at 200 MHz, raised the multiplier to 18x, and left the NB and HT frequencies alone at 2 GHz. I also manually set the RAM to its rated timings because it wasn't doing so in auto mode.

The programs I use to check my hardware specs are CPU-Z, Core Temp, and Easy Tune 6 (came with the motherboard). Here are the readings I got from the different programs:

CPU-Z: Core Speed - 803.7 MHz
Multiplier - x4.0
Bus Speed - 200.9 MHz
Occasionally CPUZ acts kind of funny and reads a different Core Speed and Multiplier for a half second and then flips back to the speeds I have listed.

ET6: Pretty much the same, CPU@808 MHz, Mult @ 4.0, Bus @ 202 MHz

Core Temp: Reads "3616.22 MHz (200.9 x 18)" for all six cores, which is what I would expect. But it also reads my temps completely wrong so I don't really trust this program.

Can someone please help me make sense out of all this?

Thanks - Nate

Solution
It's realtime readings. Cool and quiet energy saving software constantly varies the speed according to the load on the cpu. You can disable it in the bios if you like. As for temps, who knows how accurate they are. A few cases have a wired temp strip that slips under the cpu or along the edge and gives you a digital readout. But you really don't need to monitor them. If the cpu runs too hot, windows will crash.
It's realtime readings. Cool and quiet energy saving software constantly varies the speed according to the load on the cpu. You can disable it in the bios if you like. As for temps, who knows how accurate they are. A few cases have a wired temp strip that slips under the cpu or along the edge and gives you a digital readout. But you really don't need to monitor them. If the cpu runs too hot, windows will crash.

Solution

inate36

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

Haha I generally try to avoid crashing my computer but thanks.

The CNQ part makes sense, I considered that before I posted but how would that explain the different speed readings from the different programs? Is it possible that CPUZ and ET6 give realtime data but CoreTemp doesnt?