Upgrade time, Intel i series?

tldr; how long will an i3 cut it on a heavyish use family desktop? should i go i5 or even i7? (replaces old Athlon 64bit 3600+ box from 4 years ago)

i7-860 or i5-750 for gaming rig? would it be as future proof as an E8400? (thinking of making a rig with a £100 gfx and lots of room to upgrade when new games hit! [is this wise or should i get a £450 budget gaming rig now and another in a year or so?]

few questions about the new Core i range and future proofing

current setup is
-mostly Gaming rig: core 2 E8400 - Geforce 8800 GT - 2gb ram (£500 build 2 years ago, kept up well with games)
-Web and general: celeron E3200 - MSI HD 4650 - 2gb ram (£100 fixer when my old rig died and i didn't wanna fill my gaming one with crap)
-old family PC: vintage Athlon 64bit 3600+ and some buget card from 4 years back - 1gb ram

aims something like:
-family PC in the Bin - new £2-300 replacement, £30 gfx is fine and got case and corsair psu so (aiming i3/5?)
-web and general crap pc becoming file server basically
-E8400 moved onto general crap (upped to 6gb ram n win 7)
-new £5-600 rig (i5/7?)

by the way, i'm really impressed by the performance of the Samsung F3 HDD range, probably going to get the 500gb one for all of the above :) £33 is hard to argue with since its got roughly double the transfer rate of the current HDDs i have

the question is
how much petter are the i5/i7s than the i3s?

family PC - on the family pc will most of the performance improvement in the desktop environment come from the big increase in ram performance and a new faster HDD? (web browing seems to max out the athlon, but its very old and BAD! :P) instead of from the cpu speed itself? (i notice cache makes a fair difference, the celeron plain sucks compared to the core 2 despite similar core and bus speeds)

file server is fine, 4 stata ports and the current cheap stuff will do.

E8400 is just more ram and windows 7 (i can mix 1gb and 2gb sticks but it has to be same spec as before right? (PC-6400 - 800mhz) do timings matter?)

on the New Rig: what sort of differences would i see between say an i3-530, an i5-750 and an i7-860 games wise now? and in two years? basically which one is the E8400 of today which i can build an awesome rig around? :)
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade time intel series
  1. One main difference between i3 and i5/i7 is that i3 is a dual core technology processor, on the other hand i5 and i7 are quad cores, that should give you an idea on how well it would perform for gaming. I personally own an i3 and they are quite good, the 2.66ghz. But if you want to game you might as well go for an i7.

This is only a suggestion.
  2. One main difference between i3 and i5/i7 is that i3 is a dual core technology processor, on the other hand i5 and i7 are quad cores, that should give you an idea on how well it would perform for gaming. I personally own an i3 and they are quite good, the 2.66ghz. But if you want to game you might as well go for an i7.

If you buy an i3, it will probably hold up for gaming for about 1 or 2 years, on the other hand, the i5 will hold for about 3 -4 years, same with i7.

i3 - low end, low budget processor.

i5 - gamer

i7- hardcore gamer.

thats how i see it.

Hope i helped

ROLFMAOMACHIZLIN
  3. sorry for the double post, dont know what happen there.
  4. rolfmaomachizlin said:
    One main difference between i3 and i5/i7 is that i3 is a dual core technology processor, on the other hand i5 and i7 are quad cores, that should give you an idea on how well it would perform for gaming. I personally own an i3 and they are quite good, the 2.66ghz. But if you want to game you might as well go for an i7.

I don`t think that any i7 is needed for gaming. Even an i5 750 is overkill with a mid level graphics card. A $400 Radeon 5870 will bottleneck before the i5 750...
  5. yea i agree
  6. wortwortwort said:
    I don`t think that any i7 is needed for gaming. Even an i5 750 is overkill with a mid level graphics card. A $400 Radeon 5870 will bottleneck before the i5 750...

bottleneck against what? the pci-Ex16 lane?
  7. hmm, also i tried lots of things with the i5-750 and it was just too expensive, gone the AMD route as reviews said they were quite comparable but cheaper, made a new post with what i specced up, would be greatful if you could take a look :)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288697-13-please-check-build
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Intel i5 Systems