wildleg

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Hi, looking to get your guys opinion on the best home NAS server, looking to spend no more than 850-900 for the NAS + hard drives, looking for something that supports 4 drives, 8(min)-12tb and raid 5.

I have been looking around and seen newegg has a deal going for the sentinel systems (10% off, can get the 6tb version for $850) however was looking to have minimum 4tb after raiding and the cost of another 3tb drive is a crazy $349....

Also been looking at the Synology DS411J and adding 4 of the WD red 2tb drives but i keep reading mixed reviews on how poor the speed/reponse is due to low memory and non-upgradeable.

Also looked at the HP ProLiant but only supports raid 0/1 not 5, would i really see a big difference between 1 and 5? also can anyone vouch for this HP product? I've had nothing and know no one who would purchase another HP product after owning one of their PCs

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

NetworkStorageTips

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I am sorry to say that with NAS devices and hard drives, you get what you pay for.

Depending on the size of the hard drives you want (and 4TB min) it would quite difficult to achieve what you are asking.

Quality costs.

Best,
Roger.

You can't compare an HP media PC and a Proliant server. If you want to implement RAID 5, then you should add a P410 controller, but that will increase the cost beyond your budget. A good NAS isn't cheap. You'll still need to backup your NAS if it contains valuable data.