Solved

Windows 7 Question for my System

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Windows 7
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 23, 2010 12:36:19 AM

Hey guys I'm currently in the process of building my system and I have ran into an issue. I have a copy of Win 7 (64-bit) currently on my laptop, and I have a unused copy of Win 7 32-bit. I want to put this copy of Win 7 (64) on my new system. Is that possible? Would there be licensing issues. Would my serial key still work?

I want the 64 bit on my Desktop for obvious reasons such as memory limit and so on.

Thanks

More about : windows question system

June 23, 2010 12:40:35 AM

The only thing I can think of is if your laptop COA is a branded COA, like HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. Even then it might work, but you would have to take the 64 bit off of your laptop, and put the 32 bit on it. Then it would probably work.
m
l
June 23, 2010 12:45:03 AM

amantonas said:
The only thing I can think of is if your laptop COA is a branded COA, like HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. Even then it might work, but you would have to take the 64 bit off of your laptop, and put the 32 bit on it. Then it would probably work.

ya I would like to swap them, I don't want to use one for both.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 23, 2010 12:51:53 AM

Just take one precaution though. If the 64 bit is branded, then test it on your computer to see if it will even boot into the setup. If it does, then you're good to go.
If it's not branded, then just go ahead and do it. It won't matter as long as you take the 64 bit off your laptop first.
June 23, 2010 4:26:44 AM

Best answer selected by Shockem.
m
l