Sign in with
Your question

Budget Gaming Rig - Need help

Last response: in Systems
June 23, 2010 12:51:30 AM

Edit: Just noticed the guide to posting for help. I'll add that in.

Hey. I am going to be buying parts for a budget gaming rig, but I'd like some feed back on what I'm getting. Also this is my first time building. Thanks in advance. Just let me know if I should format the post different.

I know I want to go with AMD. Probably the AMD Phenom II x2 500 series. Not exactly sure which model though. It is between the AMD Phenom II x2 555 Dual Core and the AMD Phenom II x2 545 Dual Core.

For the motherboard I was going to go with the Gigabyte 880GM USB3 Motherboard. Wasn't really sure what else to go with besides Asus, but I heard the Gigabyte is better.

For the memory/ram, or w/e, I was just going to get 4gigs of DDR3. Brand I am not to picky with. Was just going to see if any were on sale.

Hard Drive is going to be a 1TB. Probably a Western Digital 1tb 64mb cache 7200 rpms.

Power Supply is going to be at 750w, I probably can go lower to 650, but Im just not sure.

And video card... I was liking the ATI Radeon HD 5770 or 5750.

Alright. I think that is it? Optical drive Im not worried about, same with case.

More about : budget gaming rig

June 23, 2010 1:06:40 AM

Alright I need your budget in a quantitative value and your location in the world, US, UK, ext.
m
l
June 23, 2010 1:12:55 AM

patsfan said:
Edit: Just noticed the guide to posting for help. I'll add that in.

Hey. I am going to be buying parts for a budget gaming rig, but I'd like some feed back on what I'm getting. Also this is my first time building. Thanks in advance. Just let me know if I should format the post different.

I know I want to go with AMD. Probably the AMD Phenom II x2 500 series. Not exactly sure which model though. It is between the AMD Phenom II x2 555 Dual Core and the AMD Phenom II x2 545 Dual Core.

For the motherboard I was going to go with the Gigabyte 880GM USB3 Motherboard. Wasn't really sure what else to go with besides Asus, but I heard the Gigabyte is better.

For the memory/ram, or w/e, I was just going to get 4gigs of DDR3. Brand I am not to picky with. Was just going to see if any were on sale.

Hard Drive is going to be a 1TB. Probably a Western Digital 1tb 64mb cache 7200 rpms.

Power Supply is going to be at 750w, I probably can go lower to 650, but Im just not sure.

And video card... I was liking the ATI Radeon HD 5770 or 5750.

Alright. I think that is it? Optical drive Im not worried about, same with case.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soon. I dont have a deadline or whatever, but as soon as I know the parts I want, I am going to buy.

BUDGET RANGE: My budget is under $1000. Hopefully a good amount under that.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, surfing the internet, homework (lol), watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, speakers.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Tiger Direct is the baseline for prices pretty much. Canada Computers is another option. Same with factory direct if you can find parts there.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Ontario, Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD CPU, Gigabyte, Mid tower, Windows 7, an efficient monitor (want it to look nice), ATI Video Card.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, but probably not.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not sure.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want it to run games well... thats pretty much it. Also. Cant cost an arm and a leg.
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2010 1:58:15 AM

Total: $930

You could replace the 5830 with a 5770 if you can't afford that.
m
l
June 23, 2010 2:05:02 AM

A couple questions. Where are the prices from? And just some reason why you chose those parts (motherboard, cpu, graphics, power supply). Is 500 watts going to be enough to power everything? Thanks!
m
l
June 23, 2010 2:17:16 AM

500w will be plenty.

The CPU is pretty good, about the minimum I would recommend. The motherboard is just a good quality, cheap board. The graphics card is the best you could afford.
m
l
June 23, 2010 2:26:50 AM

Ah. From all those components, which would you recommend spending an extra $30(more or less) to upgrade? And this would give me a good gaming experience? Im coming off a 6-8 year old machine (cant even remember), the last game I played on it was Guild Wars.
m
l
June 23, 2010 2:44:10 AM

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

For the extra $30 you will do pretty well. Read up on how to unlock cores and you may get lucky.

Yes that system will game very well. I remember Guild Wars, I first played it on an FX 5200. It is one of my all time favorite MMOs, I loved the focus on skill over time put in, and the subsequent lack of a life that results.
m
l
June 23, 2010 2:50:01 AM

Haha... GW was pretty damn great.

Kind of curious what kind of rig you have going on? Care to share?
m
l
June 23, 2010 2:57:45 AM
June 23, 2010 3:03:13 AM

patsfan said:
Haha... GW was pretty damn great.

Kind of curious what kind of rig you have going on? Care to share?

Now?

i5 750
Biostar T5XE SLI+CFX
4GB Crucial 1333MHz DDR3
2 8800 GTS 512mb in SLI
Silverstone TJ07
PC Power and Cooling 750w
Samsung F1 500GB
BenQ G2400W 24"
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

It gets the job done. I just upgraded the RAM, CPU, and motherboard, which I do ever ~3 years. I'm due for a graphics upgrade, which I usually do every 2 years, but my cards are holding their value well so I'm waiting for the next round before I upgrade.
m
l
June 23, 2010 3:13:42 AM

If im looking to upgrade in the future, should I go with a more powerful power supply? And what is the major differences between the 64mb cache vs the 32mb cache on the hard drives?
m
l
June 23, 2010 3:28:43 AM

Yeah if you feel that you could use the extra power, then you could get a bigger PSU. As for the hard drives, there really is no difference, its just something to point to marketing-wise.
m
l
June 23, 2010 3:50:49 AM

Another question about PSU's... does brand matter? What are some reliable brands?
m
l
June 23, 2010 4:54:39 AM

Nvm actually. Thanks for all your help! Helped me decide on what I really wanted. :hello: 
m
l
June 23, 2010 3:55:49 PM

For future reference Brand makes all the difference. A Corsair 750w is a lot different than the cheaper Raidmax 750w. One is likely to die quickly, and it's not the Corsair unit.
m
l
!