Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P67B3 rev and Asus says I need to reformat my hd

Last response: in Motherboards
March 21, 2011 7:44:54 PM

just moved everything over from the p8p67 pro to the new Rev 3 board. My SATA 3 hd would not boot but everything else appears to work fine. Asus tech support said I needed to format my hd. Is there any way to install Win7 without re-formatting my HD? Are there any workarounds?
I've tried hot swapping another drive and ended up with bsod.
The boot screen says "no hard disk drive" just before going into BIOS. The drive shows up in the BIOS.
I've tried the p67 6gbs (what I originally had) port and the Marvell port. The drive shows up on Marvel but will not boot from it.
a c 307 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1163 V Motherboard
March 21, 2011 8:08:47 PM

You could try a repair install!
m
l
March 21, 2011 8:43:22 PM

original install was oem and repair is not an option. I have a retail box but not sure if I could do the repair with that as the numbers will not match
m
l
Related resources
a c 307 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1163 V Motherboard
March 21, 2011 8:47:39 PM

On XP I have done repair installs on system with an OEM windows. Basically slip streamed only one of my 6 XP licenses to SP2 and have used it with all the other codes!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2011 9:21:10 PM

palmerhg said:
original install was oem and repair is not an option. I have a retail box but not sure if I could do the repair with that as the numbers will not match

What makes you think you can't do a Windows repair because it's oem?? :lol: 
m
l
March 21, 2011 9:26:18 PM

I tried and it told me I could not do it with my (oem) disk. Is there a way to use my retail version and then switch back to my oem #?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 12:36:19 AM

palmerhg said:
I tried and it told me I could not do it with my (oem) disk. Is there a way to use my retail version and then switch back to my oem #?

I never heard of such a thing. I bought oem Windows 7 to install on a friends computer that I had built previously. I have personally done a repair using the oem disk on that computer.

Now if it was because your using a different motherboard, that's a different story. You may need to call MS and get a new code. Tell them you had the P67 that was recalled.
March 22, 2011 12:56:29 AM

thanks - i will call ms as I want a repair
Not positive but I don't think W7 oem allows a repair
m
l
March 22, 2011 11:57:16 AM

Best answer selected by palmerhg.
m
l
March 22, 2011 12:00:57 PM

I was trying an 'upgrade' and it said not correct disk. There was a repair option. I was not able to repair Win7 Pro, but a Win7 and then go into windows update and bring system up to date. Thanks everyone for their help,
m
l
!