Sign in with
Your question

Modifying SATA cables

Last response: in Components
August 21, 2010 10:57:37 PM

I'm currently putting together a new rig with a corsair HX650W PSU bottom mounting in a cooler master 690ii advanced. I'm in the middle of managing my cables, I would like to connect both my HDD and dvd writer with the same sata power cable. However, when using the 2nd or 3rd connector down the connect is upside down. Would I be able to just flip it upside down?

For example, the L corner is currently on the left side pointing up( l_____ ), but i would just like to flip it over so that the L corner is on the right side facing down (------i ).

I wish I had a camera and just take pictures instead. But if someone gets what saying, please let me know if the sata connector will stick work...I am unsure if the order of wire matters if i flip the connector.

Thanks!

More about : modifying sata cables

a b ) Power supply
August 21, 2010 11:20:00 PM

You could just flip the connector over - but Im guessing this spoils the look of the tidy cabling you are trying to achieve.

There is another solution.... mount hte HDD the other way up :) 
August 21, 2010 11:40:59 PM

ulysses35 said:
You could just flip the connector over - but Im guessing this spoils the look of the tidy cabling you are trying to achieve.

There is another solution.... mount hte HDD the other way up :) 

I was thinking about flipping the HDD. Would there be anything to worry about? I always imagined that the hdd are meant to spin horizontally one way. In the meantime i've fliped the one sata connector to face the opposite to the the other connectors. Will report whether that works... howeverwould like still like to know if its ok to flip the connects in where the wires go 1,2,3,4 to 4,3,2,1

just an offtopic rant: I'm trying to connect 3pin-molex adaptors to the hx650w cables and it seems that only 1 of the 4 female connectors seem to fit properly, i've been trying to jam these molexes together for 30mins!~ what the hells going on lol
a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2010 2:22:43 AM

molexes are always a pain when using anything like a 3pin fan connector. you have to make sure the 4inside pins of the 3pin connector are pointed and lined up properly and the corsair end is lined up too...
!