Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HTPC Build - Your thoughts appreciated!

Last response: in Systems
June 23, 2010 3:48:10 AM

I am looking to build an HTPC. I built many machines from 1996-2003 but haven't touched a component since then. I'm looking to build a machine to play 1080p movies, Hulu, Netflix and maybe play a little WoW.

Price is not a concern other than I'd like to spend enough to do the above tasks properly, but don't need overkill. I'd like the case to be quiet and visually aesthetic.

So I ask you this: What machine would you build for 1080p movies/Hulu/WoW on a 42" LCD? Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

P.S. US$ and US websites. I used to buy from MWave if at all possible.
June 23, 2010 5:49:49 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: 200-1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 1080p movies, Hulu, Netflix, WoW (no other gaming)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: All new parts

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com or mwave.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Looking for a smaller case, micro-mini ATX or slim. Quiet with no bright LEDs.

Thanks!
m
l

Best solution

a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2010 8:36:06 AM

" I'm looking to build a machine to play 1080p movies, Hulu, Netflix and maybe play a little WoW."

IMO if gaming weren't on the table the most current IGP solutions would have sufficed but having looked at WOW benches and if not aiming for high AA/AF:
$485AR, Egg USA

Related resources
June 23, 2010 4:53:56 PM

Thanks Batuchka for the quick reply. I've read many of your suggestion in other posts and you know your stuff! I almost pm'd you with this question before posting. :) 

will this build give adequate AA/AF? I don't even know if I'll play WoW. I played years ago and thought I might give it a shot again. I play 0 other games and would use this exclusively for DLing movies etc.

Thanks again for the advice!
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2010 4:56:15 PM

Up to 4AA/16AF Full HD WOW good to go ^^ You are welcomed
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 23, 2010 5:00:17 PM

...but yeah, I tend to like most of batuchka's budget builds too. Just in this case, with room in the budget, there may be some definite benefit to spending a little more.
m
l
June 24, 2010 5:12:28 AM

What is the difference between the two cards? All I can see is the two DVI ports and the casing that comes with the extra port. Is there something more?
m
l
June 24, 2010 5:22:09 AM

Also, is it worth getting a 60GB SSD for the OS/boot and a backup for extra storage?
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 24, 2010 9:41:48 AM

That "casing" should duct at least some of the heat out the back of the case, whereas the open design will not.
m
l
June 24, 2010 3:42:01 PM

Best answer selected by zalick.
m
l
!