HTPC Build - Your thoughts appreciated!

zalick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I am looking to build an HTPC. I built many machines from 1996-2003 but haven't touched a component since then. I'm looking to build a machine to play 1080p movies, Hulu, Netflix and maybe play a little WoW.

Price is not a concern other than I'd like to spend enough to do the above tasks properly, but don't need overkill. I'd like the case to be quiet and visually aesthetic.

So I ask you this: What machine would you build for 1080p movies/Hulu/WoW on a 42" LCD? Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

P.S. US$ and US websites. I used to buy from MWave if at all possible.

Solution
" I'm looking to build a machine to play 1080p movies, Hulu, Netflix and maybe play a little WoW."

IMO if gaming weren't on the table the most current IGP solutions would have sufficed but having looked at WOW benches and if not aiming for high AA/AF:
$485AR, Egg USA
Untitled-191.jpg

zalick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: 200-1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 1080p movies, Hulu, Netflix, WoW (no other gaming)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: All new parts

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com or mwave.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Looking for a smaller case, micro-mini ATX or slim. Quiet with no bright LEDs.

Thanks!

" I'm looking to build a machine to play 1080p movies, Hulu, Netflix and maybe play a little WoW."

IMO if gaming weren't on the table the most current IGP solutions would have sufficed but having looked at WOW benches and if not aiming for high AA/AF:
$485AR, Egg USA
Untitled-191.jpg

Solution

zalick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks Batuchka for the quick reply. I've read many of your suggestion in other posts and you know your stuff! I almost pm'd you with this question before posting. :)

will this build give adequate AA/AF? I don't even know if I'll play WoW. I played years ago and thought I might give it a shot again. I play 0 other games and would use this exclusively for DLing movies etc.

Thanks again for the advice!