Solved

HTPC Build - Your thoughts appreciated!

I am looking to build an HTPC. I built many machines from 1996-2003 but haven't touched a component since then. I'm looking to build a machine to play 1080p movies, Hulu, Netflix and maybe play a little WoW.

Price is not a concern other than I'd like to spend enough to do the above tasks properly, but don't need overkill. I'd like the case to be quiet and visually aesthetic.

So I ask you this: What machine would you build for 1080p movies/Hulu/WoW on a 42" LCD? Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

P.S. US$ and US websites. I used to buy from MWave if at all possible.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about htpc build thoughts appreciated
  1. APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: 200-1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 1080p movies, Hulu, Netflix, WoW (no other gaming)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: All new parts

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com or mwave.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No
    SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Looking for a smaller case, micro-mini ATX or slim. Quiet with no bright LEDs.

Thanks!
  2. Best answer
    " I'm looking to build a machine to play 1080p movies, Hulu, Netflix and maybe play a little WoW."

IMO if gaming weren't on the table the most current IGP solutions would have sufficed but having looked at WOW benches and if not aiming for high AA/AF:
    $485AR, Egg USA
  3. Thanks Batuchka for the quick reply. I've read many of your suggestion in other posts and you know your stuff! I almost pm'd you with this question before posting. :)

will this build give adequate AA/AF? I don't even know if I'll play WoW. I played years ago and thought I might give it a shot again. I play 0 other games and would use this exclusively for DLing movies etc.

Thanks again for the advice!
  4. Up to 4AA/16AF Full HD WOW good to go ^^ You are welcomed
  5. I'd be concerned about the fans in that Thermaltake case being whiny, a potential irritant during movies. This Lian Li isn't too much more expensive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112222 and I think would run cooler and quieter.
    Also, in a small case you may prefer a HD5770 that will exhaust at least some of its heat, like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338 by HIS.
  6. ...but yeah, I tend to like most of batuchka's budget builds too. Just in this case, with room in the budget, there may be some definite benefit to spending a little more.
  7. What is the difference between the two cards? All I can see is the two DVI ports and the casing that comes with the extra port. Is there something more?
  8. Also, is it worth getting a 60GB SSD for the OS/boot and a backup for extra storage?
  9. That "casing" should duct at least some of the heat out the back of the case, whereas the open design will not.
  10. Best answer selected by zalick.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build World Of Warcraft Systems Product