i've configured RAID1 on my motherboard which has Intel Rapid Storage Technology.
so far what i know about it:
1. it's "fake RAID" - the work performs at the operating system and uses the CPU.
2. it saves metadata at the end of each physical disk (at mine, it saves about 3MB at each disk).
what i don't know is how it manages the disks exactly.
- is the serial numbers of the disks are written to some flash ROM? so if i disconnect both of disks and connect them again, does the ROM will recognize it?
- does those disks (each one of them independently) will work at other bus than Intel RST without any problem?
- does other Intel RST will recognize both disks and will know to treat them as an array?