Sign in with
Your question

Can Intel i5 have a better performance than i7?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 1:11:50 AM

Hey every1
Im trying to find out what really a gaming pc needs to be perfect for fps (first person shooters - cod mw2, bfbc2 etc)
and now im stuck at choosing a CPU with a reasonable price (not more than 300$)
Knowing that the best are intel i5 and I7, im wondering what is the difference between those two, clock speed or something else? :heink: 
please bring the numbers in front rather than just saying i7 is better cause its got a bigger number in its name :o  lol
if not that, just express ur opinion about intel :) 

More about : intel performance

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 1:13:22 AM

and what exactly is a cache for a cpu :) 
m
l
a c 199 à CPUs
August 22, 2010 1:18:48 AM

The i7 has hyper threading and 4 cores giving it 8 threads, while an i5 either has 4 cores or 2 cores with hyper threading giving it 4 threads no matter what., since most games dont use more than 4 cores you wont see a difference between an i7 860 and an i5 760, and most FPS games are more GPU limited than CPU limited so getting an i5 instead and putting the difference into a better GPU will give you better performance.

Cache is just a small chunk of very fast memory right next to the CPU, when it needs data from ram it loads it into the cache to make it faster to work with than calling to the ram every time.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 1:34:05 AM

Like hunt said, for a gaming machine go for the i5-750 unless you need the extra PCI lanes from the i7-9xx's 1366 chipset.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 1:39:21 AM

Quote:
and what exactly is a cache for a cpu :) 

Quote:
Hey every1
Im trying to find out what really a gaming pc needs to be perfect for fps (first person shooters - cod mw2, bfbc2 etc)
and now im stuck at choosing a CPU with a reasonable price (not more than 300$)
Knowing that the best are intel i5 and I7, im wondering what is the difference between those two, clock speed or something else? :heink: 
please bring the numbers in front rather than just saying i7 is better cause its got a bigger number in its name :o  lol
if not that, just express ur opinion about intel :) 

Well between just the Core i5 7xx and i7 9xx/8xx's. Not to much on the cpu it self.

Core i5's and core i7 8xx's are on the LGA 1156 MB's While the i7 9xx's are on the LGA 1366 MB's

Core i5 6xx dual cores with HT 4MB of L3 cache

Core i5 7xx quad core with no HT 8MB of L3 cache

Core i7 8xx/9xx Quad core with HT 8MB of L3 cache

Whats best for games. Well.....

Mass majority of games out there dont use the core i7 Hyper-Threading effectively (or not at all) so it a complete waste of money for extra performance that you wont be able to uses.

Core i5 6xx's: while todays games run just fine on fast dual cores there are some games coming around that are using 3 or 4 cores and high clocks dont always beat multiple cores. So you wouldn't get much life out of this cpu and it has half of the cache of the quad core i5 7xx's and i7's.

Core i5 7xx i say is perfect. Few things are,

one without HT. it makes the cpu cheaper so you're not wasting money on extra performance that wont be used.

Two, with it practically being just a core i7 without HT, it retains all the other properties to make a fast cpu like the 8 MB of Cache.

Now what is cache you ask? To put it in simple terms. think of it like Super fast ram on the Motherboard but inside the cpu ;) 

EDIT:
Although hunter315 is correct and that nearly all games are GPU limited and not cpu limited
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 2:24:56 AM

well ure probably right there, but just think of the potential of i7, maybe in a year or 2 games will use that Hyper-Threading efficiently enough for it to actually be a big boost for performance
im not expecting to buy a pc and need to upgrade the very next year :p 
m
l
!