syversol

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Hello,

Don't want to sound stupid, but would like some reassurance. Trying to save a friend's XP Dell Latitude D610 laptop that is consistently booting the blue screen of death showing "Windows shut down, Technical information Stop : 0x00000024 ( 0x00190203,0x82232268,0xC0000102, 0x00000000"

Was able (through help from others on the internet) to find an XP iso file to burn a recovery disc and switch the BIOS to boot from the disc. Then I went into the Recovery Console and typed CHKDSK C: /r

Is there anything else I need to do or should I just "walk away" from the laptop until tomorrow? It's only a 40gb drive, I think, but is probably pretty messy with some bad sectors I would suspect. In the past hour it has:
CHKDSK is checking the volume...
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery...
55% completed

Does this mean it's on it's first phase or fourth? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynn

I'm not sure which step it's on, but I'd let it go to completion if it can. Depending on how bad the drive is, it may still not boot when done. That's because even if chkdsk fixes any problems, there may have already been corrupted files on the disk. This means even if the disk is fixed, the files themselves may still be corrupt.