Gaming build ?'s 1,000 budget

littiekid

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Hello, I'm going to build a new computer and i've been out of the loop for a long time. My last build was in 2004 so I'm not up to date on anything.
I'm going to start playing WoW again and want to play on high settings with no lag.
I have a LCD TV that has HDMI is this okay to use for a Moniter? Mainly going to be surfing the web/music/video editing/ and playing WoW. I have about 1000 to spend and a copy of xp, but was thinking about buying windows 7.
I dont care amd or intel or ati or nvidia, just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks!!

$898AR before OS
Untitled-159.jpg

littiekid

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I wa looking at that case/psu combo too, seems like both of you like amd, is that pretty much the way to go now amd/ati? or is there some good intel/nvidia stuff out there

mrguti

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I agree....plus in general, I've always found the upgrade path to be easier with AMD...and usually less expensive. My last build was in 2004 but I was able to add a new CPU, GPU and more RAM for about $400 in early 2008 to squeeze a couple more years out of it (and coincidentally improve my WOW experience) and it is just now getting to the point where it is just too underpowered for my taste...although, still great for WoW but I don't really play that anymore.

As for the GPU...I have owned both, in fact in my current system I started with an Nvidia but switched to ATI in that upgrade I mentioned. The only gripe I have with them lately has been the drivers and that I occationally lock up in Dragon Age and BFBC2, but part of that could be my old system too. I'm also looking at a 5870 right now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161329
with the discount it is only $351 and comes with a free copy of Modern Warfare 2

mrguti

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
This is a good place to start for graphics cards

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2646.html

Crossfire is when you use two of the same graphic cards and join them with a crossfire bridge. So say for example you go with a Radeon 5870...probably for most games that will be more than enough for you for a good long time. But say you decide to go with a less powerful GPU now to save some money and go with a 5770. That might get you by for awhile but at some point you'll probably need more power so you might buy another 5770 and crossfire them. Actually, maybe you'll want to crossfire the 5870 too, just probably not as soon. Make sense?

Only other thing I want to point out is you can probably do RAM with a better CAS for about the same price. People have been telling me to go with this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231303

Also I don't think that mobo supports USB 3.0 and Sata 6gb which just started being supported. Might not matter much to you now but if you like to get a lot of use out of your system it might be important to you down the road.