Sign in with
Your question

Freezing (hanging?) computer

Last response: in Motherboards
March 22, 2011 2:53:51 AM

Not entirely positive this is an issue with the mobo, but it I believe it is, sorry if its not thats why I am asking. Basically, a week or two ago I got some new stuff for my computer. I bought a CPU (Phenom II x4 955 [B.E.]) and GPU (GTX460 SE) installed both of them into my system and the card had no issues. then I noticed the CPU wasn't running at the speed it was supposed to (later realized I didn't check CPU support thoroughly enough), wasn't compatible so I ordered a new mobo (MSI 870-G45) and DDR3 RAM because I went from AM2+ mobo to AM3. That arrived and everything seemed to be working great. Time passed and then I started noticing abnormal performance (the freezing). At first it would freeze during my screen saver, have to press the reset switch to be able to use it again but it recovers without any other problems. It would do this almost every time it was left in the screen saver too long. A couple days ago it started to freeze in game. This has been happening a lot since then (only a couple times a day if I'm lucky). The thing thats got me most confused is that it will freeze due to seemingly random conditions, so I have no idea how to prevent it. I know it isn't the HDD ,which was obviously my first thought, because I tested another. I've loaded optimized defaults and Fail-Safe defaults in the BIOS with no success so I'm fairly certain its the mobo, but it could be the CPU or maybe even the RAM. If I can get some assistance on this quickly it would be awesome that way I can return whatever is causing the problem before I run out of time.
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 4:52:13 PM

What make and model of power supply are you using? Assuming the mobo, CPU, and RAM are good, you are describing a typical (classic) heat/power problem.

Also, is your system set to "sleep" or "hibernate" modes? If so, disable while troubleshooting (I would recommend not using at all).

Last, are you overclocking anything? If so, revert to stock speeds until the system stabilizes.

Please clarify.
m
l
March 22, 2011 5:17:08 PM

COLGeek said:
What make and model of power supply are you using? Assuming the mobo, CPU, and RAM are good, you are describing a typical (classic) heat/power problem.

Also, is your system set to "sleep" or "hibernate" modes? If so, disable while troubleshooting (I would recommend not using at all).

Last, are you overclocking anything? If so, revert to stock speeds until the system stabilizes.

Please clarify.

I'm using an Apevia 650w PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) I haven't owned it for a month yet so it should be fine. I also just barely swapped it out to see if that was causing the problem and it did the same with my other one (Bluestar 650w).
I know it is definitely not a heat problem I've been monitoring my temps quite frequently (especially during gaming and my cpu hasn't gotten above 50c even with a stability test).
My system was set to sleep after 2hrs but thats changed now so I'll see if it helps any.
No everything is set to stock speeds currently.
m
l
Related resources
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 5:24:34 PM

Cidelian said:
I'm using an Apevia 650w PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) I haven't owned it for a month yet so it should be fine. I also just barely swapped it out to see if that was causing the problem and it did the same with my other one (Bluestar 650w).
I know it is definitely not a heat problem I've been monitoring my temps quite frequently (especially during gaming and my cpu hasn't gotten above 50c even with a stability test).
My system was set to sleep after 2hrs but thats changed now so I'll see if it helps any.
No everything is set to stock speeds currently.

Understood on all. Is your BIOS up to date?
m
l
March 22, 2011 5:27:43 PM

COLGeek said:
Understood on all. Is your BIOS up to date?

I've used Live Update 4 which came on a disc with the motherboard and it says everything is up to date.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 5:34:10 PM

Go to their website to verify. Live Update often needs updates itself and misses others altogether. When I used MSI mobos, I usually checked myself because of those issues.
m
l
March 22, 2011 5:42:35 PM

COLGeek said:
Go to their website to verify. Live Update often needs updates itself and misses others altogether. When I used MSI mobos, I usually checked myself because of those issues.

Are their utilities compatible with Win7 64-bit? Getting some compatibility notices...
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 5:45:38 PM

Cidelian said:
Are their utilities compatible with Win7 64-bit? Getting some compatibility notices...

Not usually unless a 64-bit version was released. Honestly, I would dump Live Update altogether. Look at the current downloads for your system and go the manual route is the best way. Good luck!
m
l
March 22, 2011 5:47:43 PM

COLGeek said:
Not usually unless a 64-bit version was released. Honestly, I would dump Live Update altogether. Look at the current downloads for your system and go the manual route is the best way. Good luck!

May seem noob question (lol) but how do I know which updates I already have and which I need?
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 5:56:09 PM

If something is working properly, you don't need an update is the general rule of thumb. Regrading the BIOS, just get the latest version. Upon installation, if the current version is already installed, you will be notified.
m
l
March 22, 2011 6:00:28 PM

COLGeek said:
If something is working properly, you don't need an update is the general rule of thumb. Regrading the BIOS, just get the latest version. Upon installation, if the current version is already installed, you will be notified.

Ok simple enough, only one problem. the application that comes in the download says: "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 7:26:37 PM

Find a DOS boot disk, burn to USB, boot from the USB and update.
m
l
March 23, 2011 6:17:31 AM

Well... this is embarrassing. After e-mailing a tech guy at MSI for awhile and troubleshooting possible causes I've discovered it's was one of my memory modules that had the issue (or so it seems for now). I haven't had it freeze or anything since I took it out. Sorry for the mix-up I just assumed my RAM was fine, I mean I've only had the things for about 2 weeks. Anyway thanks for the help you provided anyway COLGeek, I really appreciate your willingness to help.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 23, 2011 12:51:36 PM

Cidelian said:
Well... this is embarrassing. After e-mailing a tech guy at MSI for awhile and troubleshooting possible causes I've discovered it's was one of my memory modules that had the issue (or so it seems for now). I haven't had it freeze or anything since I took it out. Sorry for the mix-up I just assumed my RAM was fine, I mean I've only had the things for about 2 weeks. Anyway thanks for the help you provided anyway COLGeek, I really appreciate your willingness to help.

You are welcome. Glad you came to a working resolution. Good luck!
m
l
March 24, 2011 2:54:20 AM

i am having the same issue too.....

pc freezing and i'm going totally nuts...

i got my mobo 2nd hand and found out a few days later that it had a totally different bios version to what it should of had....thats according to the msi forum, anyway i flashed my bios sucessfully with the latest version which is currently 3.4, and the correct biso for my mobo.... anyway to cut a long story short..... i have just recently fitted a 1tb hard drive in my pc and looking back on msi's website it's giving a bios version of 3.3 for a 1000gb support along with other things, now this is the big question???

should i re-flash my bios to that 3.3 version and hope and pray that is solved everything, or should i just flash back to the very first released version....

god know how many times i've posted in the msi forum but i think they are just ignorning me, failing that bye bye msi and go for an asus maximus formula, at least you wont get no probs with that...

i hope someone here can come up with a soloution for me... thanks for reading
m
l
March 24, 2011 3:25:24 AM

darren2011 said:

i got my mobo 2nd hand and found out a few days later that it had a totally different bios version to what it should of had....thats according to the msi forum, anyway i flashed my bios sucessfully with the latest version which is currently 3.4, and the correct biso for my mobo.... anyway to cut a long story short..... i have just recently fitted a 1tb hard drive in my pc and looking back on msi's website it's giving a bios version of 3.3 for a 1000gb support along with other things, now this is the big question???

should i re-flash my bios to that 3.3 version and hope and pray that is solved everything, or should i just flash back to the very first released version....

god know how many times i've posted in the msi forum but i think they are just ignorning me, failing that bye bye msi and go for an asus maximus formula, at least you wont get no probs with that...

hmm... not too sure, if its the same issue I was having check your RAM (my problem) and PSU make sure their both good. I can't offer too much help on the subject. The way I got into contact with a tech-guy at MSI was by e-mailing usersupport2@msicomputer.com, you can try that rather than the forums, but thats who I was told to contact as a response to a bad rating I gave.
m
l
March 24, 2011 7:33:02 AM

Cidelian said:
hmm... not too sure, if its the same issue I was having check your RAM (my problem) and PSU make sure their both good. I can't offer too much help on the subject. The way I got into contact with a tech-guy at MSI was by e-mailing usersupport2@msicomputer.com, you can try that rather than the forums, but thats who I was told to contact as a response to a bad rating I gave.

hi,

thanks for that.... checked both sticks of ram, even got top end gamers ram installed @ 1066mhz kingstop hyperX.... thats all good but i am running a ezcool 600w maybe it could be my psu, i dont know,but i will certainly e-mail msi from that address you game me....Many thanks indeed ..i'm really appreciated :) 
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 24, 2011 11:01:31 AM

darren2011 said:

Install the most current BIOS version for your model of motherboard and you should be good to go. Good luck!
m
l
March 24, 2011 4:09:29 PM

hi,

i have got the most current version.... 3.4, but on their site is says 3.3 version and it has support for the 1000gb hard drive. Now just a couple of weeks agi i installed a 1tb hard drive, but should i downgrade my bios to the 3.3 version so i know that i have all the fixes for that size of storage?

thank you
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 24, 2011 4:29:11 PM

It is possible the 3.4 version is a beta release. If the MSI website shows the 3.3 version as the most current, I would go with that one.
m
l
March 24, 2011 4:56:10 PM

Yeah I guess we should've asked what mobo he had lol. I don't think its the same one, but I don't know darren didn't say.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 24, 2011 5:00:27 PM

Just verify the model of mobo and install the most current version. Pretty straight forward. Have fun!
m
l
March 24, 2011 5:05:52 PM

hi,

the 3.4 version i a full release but there is a 3.5 beta version but that one i do know is still in the early stages ...

here is the link below to all the bios releases available for my mobo..

http://global.msi.eu/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type...

i hope that gives you a bit more to run on... thank you :) 
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 24, 2011 5:10:29 PM

darren2011 said:
hi,

the 3.4 version i a full release but there is a 3.5 beta version but that one i do know is still in the early stages ...

here is the link below to all the bios releases available for my mobo..

http://global.msi.eu/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type...

i hope that gives you a bit more to run on... thank you :) 

OK, seems we have been talking 2 VERY different mobos in this thread (a good reason to NEVER mix threads). That being said, the 3.4 version is the most current. Re-flash with the 3.4 version to make sure it is installed properly and you should be good to go.

Good luck!
m
l
March 24, 2011 5:17:26 PM

hi,

i did that before posting here, that flash went very well as i used the usb flashtool that msi provide for the most safest and easiest way to flash?

thats why now i'm now come to a standstill
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
March 24, 2011 5:21:58 PM

darren2011 said:
hi,

i did that before posting here, that flash went very well as i used the usb flashtool that msi provide for the most safest and easiest way to flash?

thats why now i'm now come to a standstill

I recommend the following. Start a new thread listing your system's basic specs and your specific problems. Doing so will remove the confusion of injecting a new problem into another thread and will likely get some folks involved in determining a solution. Then the OP can close this thread out to his content. Make sense?
m
l
!