Sign in with
Your question

Chassis fan not working

Last response: in Components
August 22, 2010 5:12:11 AM

Hello,
Upgraded an Inspiron 530 with a Vostro 400 MB, new Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 CPU. Boots and runs great,...chassis fan starts when power button is pushed , but only runs for a second or two, then stops. Loaded "PC Wizard" and it shows each core temp at 35c to 39c, MB temp at around 40c. However another category shows the processor temps at 85c..WOW!! Readings also show chassis fan spinning at 1,753 rpm, but fan isn't. Tried new fan, not help, upgraded PSU from 300 watt to 400 watt, no help. Thought I downloaded lated BIOS, no help. Don't see a BIOS option at boot up that will help...running Windows Vista

Is MB faulty or am I missing something?? HELP

More about : chassis fan working

August 22, 2010 5:15:35 AM

How is the chassis fan controlled? Is it plugged into the motherboard? Try finding one with a speed switch that plugs directly into the PSU, the fan header on your board might be flaky.
August 22, 2010 5:56:46 AM

yeah, get a cheap fan controller and see if it works...
Related resources
August 22, 2010 12:18:03 PM

plugs into motherboard.......is there another free program that will show temps better.....my BIOS doesn't give me the option to adjust or read fan properties.....
IS the PSU adequate enough...I read other forums where the PSU needed to be larger and in some it corrected a similar fan problem...just didn't want to spend $$ if it won't help...

Thanks.......
August 22, 2010 10:43:07 PM

hunter315 said:
How is the chassis fan controlled? Is it plugged into the motherboard? Try finding one with a speed switch that plugs directly into the PSU, the fan header on your board might be flaky.

plugs into motherboard.....my BIOS doesn't give me the option to adjust or read fan properties..... Is the PSU adequate enough...I read other forums where the PSU needed to be larger and in some it corrected a similar fan problem...just didn't want to spend $$ if it won't help...
August 23, 2010 1:05:35 AM

yeah, the3 PSU is fine. you've al;ready added another 100w, a fan only takes a couple.

chances are the fan has simply died. but they aren't expensive to replace.
!