Gaming Computer - 1500$ CDN

Bug690

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Hello there. I have been a long time gamer, but have always had retail computers and never built one myself. Recently my laptop finally crashed after 3 years and I decided it was about time that I forked over the money and did research to get a computer that fit me perfectly. Since this is my first time, I am completely oblivous to the details involved in it. I, myself, won't be building the computer, I have a techy friend of mine handling that.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Purchase date is within the next month. No need for all at once as I am currently working out of town, away from my apartment. Will shop around for deals on the parts.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming is the entire purpose.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse and keyboard, will buy seperately from the budget.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Whatever you prefer, I prefer ha.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: Would like an intel cpu and to run a 22-24" LCD with 2ms or so. Full tower-to mid tower case, as long as it fits it all.

OVERCLOCKING: I've no knowledge of overclocking, but I am sure my friend would want me to do it. Crossfire not sure if neccesary, so maybe.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Would like to run a high resolution, 1920x1200 or 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Everbody likes the fancy LED lights, if applicable.

Bug690

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Out of curiousity, would there be a lower version GPU that would function well with 6gb of ram and a better monitor?

beerhelmet

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
If you aren't going with 4GB of ram, then go with 8GB, since this is a dual channel memory set up.
To go with triple channel memory you would have to go with the i7-9XX guys which would jump up CPU cost by ~100, mobo cost by ~30 and memory cost by ~70 for only 6GB total ram.
More than 4GB is not necessary since most if not all games do not utilize that much ram.

You could go with a 5850 to lower your costs by about 100 and use that to increase the budget on the monitor, but I would only recommend it if you have a particular monitor in mind.
There most likely isn't that big a difference between a $200 and a $300 monitor at 24" size since they're all most likely TN panel technology.
Although at the 22" size you might be able to find one for ~350 from like Dell or something.
A further option to reduce costs would be to go with an AMD build using like a Phenom II X4 955, but you did state you wanted an Intel processor.

beerhelmet

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I used newegg for pricing because everyone has access to it and it seems to be a popular website. Also, the layout is easy enough to navigate so links are easy to grab.
I honestly find that local computer stores in Canada will sell stuff at some ridiculously low prices ($600 CAD 5970s), but it really depends on your location.
If you can't find any good local stores then I'd probably recommend newegg.ca or NCIX.com because they seem to be the most popular.
NCIX used to have some sort of price match event going on, which would deem my recommendation, but I don't know if its still on.

edit: I should mention that newegg also has good combo deals, which I included as part of the links and pricing

You're welcome for the help and best of luck to you!

Bug690

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks again.

My friend got his computer built by NCIX and i guess it comes with a 2 year warranty on parts and labour. Think I may do that and use NCIX for it all.

Ill let you know how it goes