Printing on cloth with Epson 2000p

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 16, 2004 11:09:11 PM

Ok, I'm trying to anyway. I've sprayed an archival fixative onto a
piece of 8.5"x11" Epson archival paper for support, and stuck a piece
of muslin the same size onto the paper. The fixative, when only sprayed
on one of the pieces remains repositionable.

Of course the Epson 2000p isn't configured to print on cloth, but the
image always starts to print and, without fail, an error message comes
up telling me to go to the printer's troubleshooting page and attempt
to figure out why the printer keeps bailing on me. I was wondering if
anyone else has tried to print on cloth with their 2000p and if they
have had any success doing so. If so, I would love to hear how you did
it.

Thank you,
Caron
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 10:21:07 AM

I'll give it a try. Thank you.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 3:06:42 PM

<cgonthier@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm trying to anyway. I've sprayed an archival fixative onto a
> piece of 8.5"x11" Epson archival paper for support, and stuck a piece
> of muslin the same size onto the paper. The fixative, when only sprayed
> on one of the pieces remains repositionable.
>
> Of course the Epson 2000p isn't configured to print on cloth, but the
> image always starts to print and, without fail, an error message comes
> up telling me to go to the printer's troubleshooting page and attempt
> to figure out why the printer keeps bailing on me. I was wondering if
> anyone else has tried to print on cloth with their 2000p and if they
> have had any success doing so. If so, I would love to hear how you did
> it.
>
> Thank you,
> Caron

You can buy canvas ready for ink jet printers. Another way is to gently
iron a piece of waxed paper on the cloth, to support it through the printer.
December 17, 2004 5:40:16 PM

I'll have to try the waxed paper. Thank you. I emailed Epson re my
issue and this is the reply I got:

Please follow the steps below to resolve this issue of incomplete
printouts
in Windows XP:

1. Click on START, CONTROL PANEL, PRINTERS AND FAXES (or PRINTERS AND
OTHER HARDWARE).
2. Right click your printer, and select PROPERTIES. (If your printer
is
not listed, click on VIEW INSTALLED PRINTERS first).
3. Select the ADVANCED tab.
4. Remove the check mark from ENABLE ADVANCED PRINTING FEATURES.
5. Click on APPLY (if applicable), then OK.
6. Restart your computer.
7. Try printing now.

If the issue persists, please try the following:

1. Click on START, CONTROL PANEL, PRINTERS AND FAXES (or PRINTERS AND
OTHER HARDWARE).
2. Right click your printer, and select PROPERTIES. (If your printer
is
not listed, click on VIEW INSTALLED PRINTERS first).
3. Select the ADVANCED tab.
4. Select PRINT DIRECTLY TO THE PRINTER.
5. Click on APPLY (if applicable), then OK.
6. Restart your computer.
7. Try printing now.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Thank you for the input.
Caron
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 10:28:06 AM

It worked.
December 18, 2004 7:24:05 PM

cgonthier@gmail.com wrote:
> Ok, I'm trying to anyway. I've sprayed an archival fixative onto a
> piece of 8.5"x11" Epson archival paper for support, and stuck a piece
> of muslin the same size onto the paper. The fixative, when only sprayed
> on one of the pieces remains repositionable.
>
> Of course the Epson 2000p isn't configured to print on cloth, but the
> image always starts to print and, without fail, an error message comes
> up telling me to go to the printer's troubleshooting page and attempt
> to figure out why the printer keeps bailing on me. I was wondering if
> anyone else has tried to print on cloth with their 2000p and if they
> have had any success doing so. If so, I would love to hear how you did
> it.
>
> Thank you,
> Caron

The easy thing to do is to print on cloth designed to accept inkjet ink.
Try this: http://www.inkjetart.com/canvas/index.html I have printed on
the the poly cloth in my Epson R800 printer. It works very well.

I was making some patches for some jeans. (This was before the cotton
cloth was available here.) It printed fine and I cut them out. I stuck
them to the jeans with Aleen's "OK to Wash It" adhesive. I got enough in
the center and it soaked in a bit, but I tad lighter on the edges. So,
when I washed it the edges came up. However, the center of the patches
have stayed stuck very well.

When I was gluing them down, I got a fair bit of the gunk on the ink
surface of the patch. I decided to coat the whole ink with the adhesive.
Alas, that probably wasn't a good idea. When I washed the jeans, the ink
layers started coming up. They have slowing pealed more and more. Now
it's more white than ink covered.

Next time I won't cover the ink. I also think that the pigmented inks
like my Ultrachrome are likely to not penetrate the cloth as much as a
dye ink. I'm also curious to see how well it works on some of those
cotton clothes. So, I don't know how well this Ultrachrome will ever
stick enough on cloth to get through washing.

I haven't found much in Google that gives me answers. You will just have
to try or wait until I try.

BTW, that very thin, poly cloth feed through my R800 just fine.

Clyde
!