MSI 5770 Hawk vs other 5770s

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Why is the MSI 5770 Hawk so much more expensive than other 5770s? And how much faster (if at all) is it than a MSI R5770-PMD1G, which is the cheapest 5770 i could find, and the only difference I can find is a 25mhz bump on the hawk?

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I saw the fans were quite fancy on the hawk but did not expect it to add so much to its value. So if a slight OC on the R5770-PMD1G would put it right next to the hawk at a much more affordable price, than I think it's a no brainer. My Antec Three Hundred keeps temps in check just fine so heat should not be an issue even with the less expensive cooler of the R5770-PMD1G.

notty22

Distinguished
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-r5770-hawk-review/3
Several key features translate themselves into the following design changes. First off, and I know you guys get a little nauseated when you hear the phrase 'Military Class components', but hear me out. Next to the custom PCB, MSI not only used the very best components on this graphics cards. And sure that's a lot of marketing but MSI follows US Department of Defense MIL-PRF-39003L guidelines in terms of build quality and heat levels, that's the reason behind the 'Military class' components. Such components are quality capacitors, Hi-C (Tantalum core) caps and Solid Core chokes. We all know it by now but using such components will reduce heat levels, increases life-span but also help in two other ways, better overclocking and stability.

Power design then, the Radeon HD 5770 HAWK comes with a custom PCB and a 7+1 phase PWM design, you get 7 phases on the GPU. To sompare that little -- that's 4 for the reference model. And then one phase on the memory.

V-check points -- Always funny to see are little additional extra's for real enthusiasts, you'll notice two jumper like positions on the graphics card (we'll show you in our photo-shoot) on which you can plug a cable (delivered with the card), pop your multimeter in there and now you can monitor voltages fired off at the GPU and there's a checkpoint for the memory as well.

Cooling -- the MSI 5770 HAWK comes with the all new Twin Frozr II cooling solution. A heatpipe based system that has dual PWM fans blowing over three heat pipes.The cooling solution also extends further, underneath the heatpipe cooler you'll notice a Memory/MOSFET heatsink as well. MSI claims to have a 13 degrees C cooler temperature over the reference design.
imageview.php

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

:ouch:

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Yes, well, lots of bells and whistles on the hawk, but is it faster? at stock settings of course. I'm sure you can OC the hell out of it but for someone who does not want to OC (maybe just a little) is it worth it? Actually I'll rephrase. Is the R5770-PMD1G fast enough or does it have some kind of flaw which would account for it's cheap price?

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

Well it depends of the kind of person that buys it =) some just want it to las longer, so they get the one with the better waranty or the one that was manofactured better, some overclock, they get the one with the cooler and other stuff, some just want to have the one with the lowest noise levels! or the one that runs cooler because theyr country is SO DAM HOT!!! LIKE MINE!!! xD

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Where do you live? Its probably time to try a water lop lol.
El Salvador, central America.... right now it should be winter but erghm... its like summer now xD dam!!!
yeah, watercooling is an option, but getting the loop, radiator and stuff is hard, and expensive :sweat:
So, there is not a lot to do :sweat:
A friend of mine has an EVGA gtx 285 2gb edition... dam that bitch runs at 90°c!!!!

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Imagine a GTX480.. BURNNN!!!!
You COULD move out of the equator, or use a table fan to blow at the card...
yeah, gtx 480 is not a good idea here xD LOL!!!!
i have a 140mm on the side of the case blowing into the GPU and NB, i also have a cooler master hyper 212+ for the cpu and a 120mm for the hard drives.... :sweat:
at least, i can game for LONG periods of time without issues :love:

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
So back on topic, the Hawk is more expensive because it's equipped well and not because it's faster or because the other cheaper ones are slower?

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
LOL, ironically the top ad banner says "Central America & Caribbeans $79 round trip from United Airlines"
Opportunity much?
LOOOL!!! but thats for you only, here, get a flight to US is like 2K xD

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

yes and no, its better equipped, and it's got a BETTER POTENCIAL to overclock the living crap out of it :sol:

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Anyways, already ordered the R5770-PMD1G, I was just a little worried that I made a huge mistake when I saw the price bump on the hawk.