Red CPU Light On First Build

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hello!

I recently finished my first build and to my dismay somthing is not right.I attempted to turn on the computer and noticed that the display was not detecting any signal.

I also have to flip the switch on my PSU in order to turn off the system.I decided that I would open up one ong any f the side panels and see if there were any LEDs detecting any problems and I noticed that one LED was lit, it was the CPU LED.

So I thought, perhaps I did not seat the CPU properly or perhaps my heatsink is a bit to tight.

I also noticed that neither CPU or Power fan headers on my MOBO are currently not working.

After re-installing both the heatsink and CPU, still no dice.I do not notice any odd smells coming from the case or peripherals inside.

I also do not have a Mobo speaker connected so I am unable to diagnose any post beeps.

My specs are as follows:

Case: Corsair 600T
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair IV
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
GPU: HIS 6850 X2
PSU: Seasonic X750 Gold
RAM: Kingston Hyper-X Genesis Grey Edition
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
Fans: X2 1200mm - X2 140mm - X1 200mm

Please know that I have not OC'd anything, everything in the computer is "as is".

Solution
Verify that you connected the 8-pin aux power connector to your mobo and that it and the main 24-pin connector are securely fastened. Push in until they click.

Then remove one of HD6850s (the one in the secondary slot) and disconnect all peripheral devices (HDD and Optical Drive). Trying to strip the rig down to the bare minimum to get into the BIOS (as a beginning).

You should also verify that your RAM is securely plugged in as well.

If this does nothing, you may need to pull your CPU and inspect it for bent/broken pins.

Follow-up requested.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Verify that you connected the 8-pin aux power connector to your mobo and that it and the main 24-pin connector are securely fastened. Push in until they click.

Then remove one of HD6850s (the one in the secondary slot) and disconnect all peripheral devices (HDD and Optical Drive). Trying to strip the rig down to the bare minimum to get into the BIOS (as a beginning).

You should also verify that your RAM is securely plugged in as well.

If this does nothing, you may need to pull your CPU and inspect it for bent/broken pins.

Follow-up requested.

Solution

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hello again!

I have solved the problem, it was a "bad pin" in a NZXT 24 pin extension.
After replacing it the computer seems stable.

Of course I figured this out after re-seating everything in my rig.....

Thank you very much for your insight and prompt response!